Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

For what its worth, other than Kevin Long, these are the hitting coaches participating in the World Series--

Phillies Asst Hitting Coach:

Jason Camilli -

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Jason_Camilli#:~:text=In 2021 he moved to,coach of the Philadelphia Phillies.

Astro Hitting Coaches:

Alex Cintron -

Troy Snitker (son of Braves manager Brian)

• Hawk 1

I made a joke earlier in the thread about what Rick said before the process started, and while that still holds true, in terms of Grifol himself, I really have no idea but he seemingly has said the right things in podcasts and such. 

Everything went wrong in 2022. If everything goes right in 2023, it's a playoff team that doesn't stack up with the best of the best, but crazy things can happen in the playoffs. 

As 98% of the board agrees on, the manager isn't going to solve what's wrong with the White Sox. That starts at the top, and no dramatic changes are going to happen with this organization until new leadership is in place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's weird reading about Grifol as someone who lacks championship experience over and over...Grifol won a WS with the Royals.  That makes him the only serious candidate with a WS with his current org, no?  Espada with Houston, Mendoza with Yankees, Long with Phillies, Quatraro with Rays, all no.  (Well, I guess Washington won one with the Braves, maybe I'm missing another)

It's also weird that the entire baseball world seems to have blocked the Royals back-to-back WS appearances only a few years ago out of their consciousness.  I sometimes think they were a dream.

• Hawk 1

Not exactly the exciting name that was going to revive my love of the franchise. Another day, another decade. 

At least this solidifies that MLB playing experience isn't necessary. Katz's path to an eventual managerial position looks better. 

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

I made a joke earlier in the thread about what Rick said before the process started, and while that still holds true, in terms of Grifol himself, I really have no idea but he seemingly has said the right things in podcasts and such. 

Everything went wrong in 2022. If everything goes right in 2023, it's a playoff team that doesn't stack up with the best of the best, but crazy things can happen in the playoffs. 

As 98% of the board agrees on, the manager isn't going to solve what's wrong with the White Sox. That starts at the top, and no dramatic changes are going to happen with this organization until new leadership is in place. 

It isn't going to solve everything that is wrong with the team, but if he can hold their attention and get them mostly back to their career norms, it solves about 85-90% of the problems.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Feel free to scroll through thread to get the answer to this, which was brought up several times and answered...

or don't and ignore them...whatever.

White Sox hired Tony twice, he must be a great manager for someone. Lol

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

For what its worth, other than Kevin Long, these are the hitting coaches participating in the World Series--

Jason Camilli -

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Jason_Camilli#:~:text=In 2021 he moved to,coach of the Philadelphia Phillies.

Astro Hitting Coaches:

Alex Cintron -

I think it's really hard to know who will be a good hitting coach, there isn't any one profile. That's why you also shouldn't be trigger shy to firing them if they aren't working out. But to me they should be answering to an org level hitting coordinator. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't going to solve everything that is wrong with the team, but if he can hold their attention and get them mostly back to their career norms, it solves about 85-90% of the problems.

So true. It's clearly a good spot for a manager to be in. 

I believe your 85% is the current MLB team problems. This probably does little too address the lack of "home grown" drafting and development in our MiLB system. From a franchise perspective that may be half of the problem still remaining. 

36 minutes ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

Jason Camilli -

Astro Hitting Coaches:

Alex Cintron -

I wouldn't be surprised if they are making a huge move for Cintron.  He was a former White Sox player and KW was a huge fan of him.  

6 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Does anyone believe what Hahn says at this point? 

Hell f'ing no! Hahn also promised us a championship caliber team or championship by now?

Like many of us have stated ad nauseamHahn should have been fired and not allowed to make this manager decision. 

His handling of the 2016 rebuild has thus far been a total debacle, as we now enter 2023 in year 7 of this rebuild!

Once again, I cannot wait until this pathetic and inept organization is sold and a new Sox owner takes over!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Hell f'ing no! Hahn also promised us a championship caliber team or championship by now?

Like many of us have stated ad nauseamHahn should have been fired and not allowed to make this manager decision. 

His handling of the 2016 rebuild has thus far been a total debacle, as we now enter 2023 in year 7 of this rebuild!

Once again, I cannot wait until this pathetic and inept organization is sold and a new Sox owner takes over!

I would argue the handling of the rebuild was very good (great trades putting us in position to contend for playoff spots), but the handling of the contention window was tragic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I would argue the handling of the rebuild was very good (great trades putting us in position to contend for playoff spots), but the handling of the contention window was tragic.

When it was time to augment the young core with people like Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, Hahn came up with John Jay and Yonder Alonso.

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey