Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

7 minutes ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

I thought the option on Pollock was a player's option? If it is truly a club option, write the buyout check NOW!!!

It’s definitely a player option.

https://dodgersway.com/2022/02/06/dodgers-aj-pollock-contract-details-bizarre/amp/

He also has a $10 million player option for 2023, with the Dodgers paying him at least $5 million of that regardless if he gets bought out instead. That 2023 salary is fluid, based in part on the number of plate appearances Pollock receives next season (making an additional $1 million each after he reaches 400, 450, 500, 550 and 600 plate appearances in 2022). For context: Pollock had 422 plate appearances in 2021

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/aj-pollock-10693/

• 2023 Player Option includes a $5M buyout
  • 2023 Option escalates $1M each for 
    400,450,500,550,600 Plate Appearances in 2022 ($3M earned)

I like this from Fegan in his recent Atlantic article…

While Grifol is a first-time major-league manager, he is described by friends and colleagues as a baseball lifer who has served in almost every conceivable role during his tenures with the Mariners and Royals — scout, farm director, minor-league manager, roving minor-league instructor, quality control coach, bench coach, catching coach and hitting coach. Hahn said the new manager will play a central role in determining their coaching staff, and those close to Grifol expect him to bring along previous associates. A potential name to watch is Royals special assignment hitting coach Mike Tosar, since he worked closely with Grifol during breakout power-hitting seasons for Jorge Soler and Salvador Perez.

Edited by hi8is
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I like this from Fegan in his recent Atlantic article…

While Grifol is a first-time major-league manager, he is described by friends and colleagues as a baseball lifer who has served in almost every conceivable role during his tenures with the Mariners and Royals — scout, farm director, minor-league manager, roving minor-league instructor, quality control coach, bench coach, catching coach and hitting coach. Hahn said the new manager will play a central role in determining their coaching staff, and those close to Grifol expect him to bring along previous associates. A potential name to watch is Royals special assignment hitting coach Mike Tosar, since he worked closely with Grifol during breakout power-hitting seasons for Jorge Soler and Salvador Perez.

Sign me up. I want it raining baseballs in the bleachers come June/July!

3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Who ever knows. The more people who use the ignore feature the better.

Fine. I will leave. You win. It's not fun anymore being a fan of this organization anyway. The Sox will never go anywhere with Hahn or Reinsdorf involved anyway.  Life is too short to invest any more time in a product with diminishing marginal utility.

My son won't grow up with a rooting interest in the Sox either, and the White Sox couldn't care less about that, so neither do I.

I don't even have to put a curse of them...they manage to self-sabotage everything themselves.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • Hawk 1

24 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Fine. I will leave. You win. It's not fun anymore being a fan of this organization anyway. The Sox will never go anywhere with Hahn or Reinsdorf involved anyway.  Life is too short to invest any more time in a product with diminishing marginal utility.

My son won't grow up with a rooting interest in the Sox either, and the White Sox couldn't care less about that, so neither do I.

I don't even have to put a curse of them...they manage to self-sabotage everything themselves.

Whoa whoa whoa.  You can’t spin your way out of that post.  That thing made no sense.  You need to let each Soxtalk member take a few minutes with that thing and have at it however they feel like they need to.

I can’t let you blame that thing on Hahn or Jerry.  They don’t deserve that man

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tosar is a huge addition for the Sox. He’s a big part of the reason with the major changes to their farm system with there hitting approach. Royals hitters down on the farm really flourished two years ago (Melendez, Prato, Witt, etc.) especially with pulling and driving the ball more. 

• Thanks 1

I know it’s easy for us to look down on the Royals and fear we are hiring cast-offs from a shitty org (pot meet kettle), but if we look past that bias Grifol and Tosar seem to have really good reputations and seem to have had past success helping hitters reach their potential.  That alone feels like a breath of fresh air for the Sox org.  Will it work?  Who knows.  KC bias aside they both like solid outside hires, and this insular org could use a lot more new blood. 

• Like 8

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey