Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Supposedly Jerry told his parents he would take care of him when they signed him to his first contract as an 18 year old teenager, but please say NO.

I often watch other teams 1st base coach since I sit on the 1B side and most teams coaches are constantly instructing runners on the situation.  All I see Daryl do is collect their gear and give them a pat.  He has to go.

One may think 1B coach is not as important as a 3B coach but I disagree.

1B coaches usually have another responsibility. Boston is the outfield and base running instructor iirc. He has to go

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I don't really think World Series rings or pennants are the kinds of *achievements that need scare quotes. Even if they date from the ancient mid- twenty- teens, before many posters even had iPhone 10s

My argument is he was a catching coach with that World Series winning team 8 years ago, basically the Man Soo Lee role of 2005. With more coaching responsibilities over the past 7 years the Royals have been arguably one of the worst franchises. 

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

And that's fine.  Drastic changes aren't really possible unless they were planning on rebuilding again.  Address 2B and RF, hopefully with at least one LH power bat, and this team is better.

Just give me a real RF already and a legit LH bat.  The rest they have to try to fix.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, I don't think he has the arm for RF. I would be ok with it.

I was thinking the other day that Gallo on a one year, rebuild value deal could be great for a team with the shift going away next year.

The “get gallo to hit his weight” challenge, year five

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, I don't think he has the arm for RF. I would be ok with it.

I was thinking the other day that Gallo on a one year, rebuild value deal could be great for a team with the shift going away next year.

I am fine with Gallo but mannnn I would hope we solved something else with the saved money then

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

My thoughts as well.  Isn't he strictly LF?

Yeah. His arm sucks. But he's pretty good at actually fielding the ball. I'll settle for that when we've had Vaughn and Sheets out there the past 2 years. 

His power dropped a lot last year, but one thing to note is that he would have had twice the amount of homers had he played in Chicago instead of that vast stadium in KC. He would have had 30 homers in 2021 if he played all his games at GRate. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Yeah. His arm sucks. But he's pretty good at actually fielding the ball. I'll settle for that when we've had Vaughn and Sheets out there the past 2 years. 

His power dropped a lot last year, but one thing to note is that he would have had twice the amount of homers had he played in Chicago instead of that vast stadium in KC. He would have had 30 homers in 2021 if he played all his games at GRate. 

He's not a perfect solution, but I wouldn't hate it.  Knowing how limited their funds and tradable assets are he might fit the bill.  Or at least until Colas comes us.

I hope they resign Abreu and trade Vaughn. Abreu is the heart and soul of this team. Vaughn is going to be a good player but IMO not the type of the player that really fits this team. Also his production at the end of last year dropped off, maybe in part because Tony lost the clubhouse, etc. but that’s worrisome for a club with aspirations to win. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

14 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Some people are going to take what Hahn said here out of context. Doesn’t mean there won’t be any additions. Their just won’t be a fire sale of the team. 

I don't want them to do a fire sale, but would Hahn have actually said "There will be wholesale changes to this roster" if they actually were going to do so? 

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I hope they resign Abreu and trade Vaughn. Abreu is the heart and soul of this team. Vaughn is going to be a good player but IMO not the type of the player that really fits this team. What’s worrisome is his production at the end of last year dropped off, maybe in part because Tony lost the clubhouse, etc. but that’s not acceptable for a club with aspirations to win. 

Maybe don't make him play OF (which is a far more taxing position physically than 1B) and he won't fade at the end of the year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am fine with Gallo but mannnn I would hope we solved something else with the saved money then

Yeah you'd basically have to use the saved money towards both 2B and the starting rotation. I would prefer to stay in house at 2B and add someone better than Gallo but don't really hate the idea.

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah you'd basically have to use the saved money towards both 2B and the starting rotation. I would prefer to stay in house at 2B and add someone better than Gallo but don't really hate the idea.

If LA couldn't fix Gallo then there really isn't a ton of hope for him. Maybe going back to Texas will help him. 

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey