Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

Just now, Dick Allen said:

The team was desperate for someone who bashes RHP. Rick gets Pollack. For the love of God how does he keep his job?

Because the owner especially at his age as some of the people told me in the story from a few days ago doesn't like change and isn't listening to folks who are telling him about the issues. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah you'd basically have to use the saved money towards both 2B and the starting rotation. I would prefer to stay in house at 2B and add someone better than Gallo but don't really hate the idea.

Based on the MLB Trade Rumors arbitration projections, they are about $20 million below last year's payroll right now unless something drastic happens (Pollock retiring, trades, etc.). If they keep the same payroll, It will be difficult enough to fill the starting rotation slot with someone competent even if they go cheap and sign Gallo. If they go more expensive and sign Benintendi, then that doesn't leave much space to find a starting pitcher. 

And that's without even talking about 2b or other backup spots. 

As bad as the LaRussa hire was, and there were signs the last couple of months of 2021 that things were headed sideways, I think Hahn's 2021 offseason was worse. OK, the Kimbrel trade didn't work out, but he compounds that by picking up the option and trading him for a guy who serves no purpose who is owed even more. He lets Rodon walk for nothing. He signs Valaszuez and Graveman. He becomes the most popular person in the Joe Kelly family history. Why is a team looking to win a championship counting on big production in RF from Gavin Sheets?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

As bad as the LaRussa hire was, and there were signs the last couple of months of 2021 that things were headed sideways, I think Hahn's 2021 offseason was worse. OK, the Kimbrel trade didn't work out, but he compounds that by picking up the option and trading him for a guy who serves no purpose who is owed even more. He lets Rodon walk for nothing. He signs Valaszuez and Graveman. He becomes the most popular person in the Joe Kelly family history. Why is a team looking to win a championship counting on big production in RF from Gavin Sheets?

the Hahn apologists are delusional and i have no idea why they continue to defend Hahn as if hes some sort of prisoner in our org

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

the Hahn apologists are delusional and i have no idea why they continue to defend Hahn as if hes some sort of prisoner in our org

If he really had a problem,  he made the right choice by waiting it out.  Tony washed out in less then 2 seasons and he got his team back.

18 hours ago, Sox72 said:

What in the absolute f*** are you talking about. 

NIU football did this with Dave Doeren from UW now at NC State, sniffing around after Nebraska. These types always preach teamwork but their God is spelled USD.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I do remember some people saying oh Tony has a better chance of getting any free agent or player he wants because of Jerry. Yeah ok….how did that work out? Lol

That's how you end up signing Joe Kelly and Leury Garcia to bad 3 year deals. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he really had a problem,  he made the right choice by waiting it out.  Tony washed out in less then 2 seasons and he got his team back.

This team is worst than two years ago on paper. Losing Abreu, Grandal is basically crippled, Moncada is awful, Gio is awful, TA had a “down” year, bullpen is crap, the only positives I see are Cease and Vaughn, who is still questionable himself. Kopech too. If this is Hahn’s “team” he should be in the unemployment line with all the other coaches. 

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

I hope they resign Abreu and trade Vaughn. Abreu is the heart and soul of this team. Vaughn is going to be a good player but IMO not the type of the player that really fits this team. Also his production at the end of last year dropped off, maybe in part because Tony lost the clubhouse, etc. but that’s worrisome for a club with aspirations to win. 

I could live with that. IF they would trade Vaughn what would you want in return? 2b or maybe SP? Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, Saufley said:

I could live with that. IF they would trade Vaughn what would you want in return? 2b or maybe SP? Thoughts?

I would go with a SP. 2b they can probably slide in someone from in-house and be ok. It’s possible they might be able to kill two birds with one stone and acquire someone like Ketel Marte but the Sox would have to throw in more and it sounds like they don’t want to sell off that much right now. Also Marte has been injured so don’t know if they want to take on that risk. It really depends on how much money they will have to spend in free agency.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Hahn gets a little bit of a pass because he works for the worst owner in MLB. Would a new GM improve things, yes but only under a new owner.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Hahn gets a little bit of a pass because he works for the worst owner IN MLB. Would a new GM improve things, yes but only under a new owner.

Terrible mindset, he still sucks at his job and should be gone based solely on his record as GM regardless of how shitty Jerry is. 

• Like 2

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey