Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

2 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

I hope they resign Abreu and trade Vaughn. Abreu is the heart and soul of this team. Vaughn is going to be a good player but IMO not the type of the player that really fits this team. Also his production at the end of last year dropped off, maybe in part because Tony lost the clubhouse, etc. but that’s worrisome for a club with aspirations to win. 

Trading the 24 year old cost controlled future franchise cornerstone who's value is depressed due to playing out of position, and turning around and investing $15M+ for 2023 into a comparable 36 year old bat on the decline is.......very bad business.

I lose Jose Abreu.  Build him a statue.  But this is not the route forward unless Miami wants to hand us Jazz Chisholm for AV, AND Jose will take a nice discount.  Signing Jose also means we aren't getting an OF.  Its just terrible asset allocation.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Trading the 24 year old cost controlled future franchise cornerstone who's value is depressed due to playing out of position, and turning around and investing $15M+ for 2023 into a comparable 36 year old bat on the decline is.......very bad business.

I lose Jose Abreu.  Build him a statue.  But this is not the route forward unless Miami wants to hand us Jazz Chisholm for AV, AND Jose will take a nice discount.  Signing Jose also means we aren't getting an OF.  Its just terrible asset allocation.  

I wonder if they will try to unload payroll WITH Vaughn. Free up some money to allocate elsewhere. I’d hate it, but would you put it past them? I wouldn’t.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I wonder if they will try to unload payroll WITH Vaughn. Free up some money to allocate elsewhere. I’d hate it, but would you put it past them? I wouldn’t.

AV made  $715,000 in 2022.  Even with arbitration, nothing too big on horizon.  Not a free agent until 2027

1 minute ago, gogosox1959 said:

AV made  $715,000 in 2022.  Even with arbitration, nothing too big on horizon.  Not a free agent until 2027

He means attaching something like Joe Kelly and Leury to AV.  

The Sox aren't going to do that, though. 

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

They might consider it but rapidly you've reached the "too many moving parts for this to make sense" stage. You need a team that needs a 1b/DH, doesn't want to bid on a veteran 1b/DH like Abreu so they can't be the Astros, but also has money to burn on taking on a busted deal so it can't be the Rays either. 

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They might consider it but rapidly you've reached the "too many moving parts for this to make sense" stage. You need a team that needs a 1b/DH, doesn't want to bid on a veteran 1b/DH like Abreu so they can't be the Astros, but also has money to burn on taking on a busted deal so it can't be the Rays either. 

Very true. The team would essentially need to be in love with Vaughn.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I understand he played out of position and he didn't spend time in the minors and he's a good hitter, but he's slow as s%*# and was projected as a DH out of college.   I like Andrew and I think this team needs more of him, just wish they'd come with a better glove and were quicker.

Edited by A-Train to 35th

22 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I understand he played out of position and he didn't spend time in the minors and he's a good hitter, but he's slow as s%*# and was projected as a DH out of college.   I like Andrew and I think this team needs more of him, just wish they'd come with a better glove and were quicker.

That may be, but at least let him show his full value on offense, whatever it may be, before trading him, rather than trade him under current depressed value conditions.
Plus, the "sign Abreu-trade Vaughn" scenario  depresses Vaughn's value even further, as any trade leverage Hahn has is further neutered by that latent announcement "We need to trade Vaughn." (Hopefully he doesn't blatantly announce it like he did with Kimbrel).

On other matters, if there's one place they should use the young guys it's at 2B; they have like 4 ML ready (or close to it) 2nd basemen, and trading/dumping them, only to trade for yet another average veteran would just be more of the same.
Of course, I see this year as a reshuffle/retool year; I just don't see how they can overcome Hahn's effups from last year in one offseason.

Edited by GreenSox

5 hours ago, chw42 said:

Anyone got a link to the press conference? 

Edit: 

Thanks for the link.

Went back and watched and was admittedly encouraged.  Pedro didn't seem nervous, spoke convincingly of how he wants to run things, wasn't shy about his embrace of modern baseball and allowing analytics to drive games.  Rick was his typical evasive self, including when it seemed Pedro wanted to mention changes in regards to player health they're making to  "sports m...." before Rick cut him off.  

Considering the last time we had one of these press conferences I was simultaneously enraged and confused, it didn't take much for this to get me excited.  That said, I think this guy could be more than "at least he's not Tony".  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Thanks for the link.

Went back and watched and was admittedly encouraged.  Pedro didn't seem nervous, spoke convincingly of how he wants to run things, wasn't shy about his embrace of modern baseball and allowing analytics to drive games.  Rick was his typical evasive self, including when it seemed Pedro wanted to mention changes in regards to player health they're making to  "sports m...." before Rick cut him off.  

Considering the last time we had one of these press conferences I was simultaneously enraged and confused, it didn't take much for this to get me excited.  That said, I think this guy could be more than "at least he's not Tony".  

He said the right things but keep in mind Sox managers have been saying things like "emphasizing fundamentals" for a long time. When the season starts it seems to always be the same old buffoonery. 

Hopefully this changes, we'll see.

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I agree partially, it’s bad business to draft a 1B/DH type with a top 3 pick. I really wanted the Sox to draft CJ Abrams with that pick

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

I'm as optimistic as the next guy but...we're taking over the coaching staff from the...Kansas. City. Royals. Okedokey then.

What does this mean??  So teams that aren't winning can't have good coaches?  Sports are about talent.  You can have the best coaches and if they don't have the talent it means nothing.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

My thoughts as well.  Isn't he strictly LF?

Yes he is and that's what the Sox need. They don't need a RF , they have Colas for that. He's ideal for RF . Power bat, LH, good defense, strong throwing arm, hits LHP well.

Benintendi would  great for LF but not much power but hits and gets on base well v. RHP.  Happ might make for sense for a year and hopefully the Cubs come to their senses in the off season since they will be taking a chance the 1st half if they wait till the TDL. I think he'll be moved this off season after winning the GG and having a real nice season.

• Like 2

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey