Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

55 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I agree partially, it’s bad business to draft a 1B/DH type with a top 3 pick. I really wanted the Sox to draft CJ Abrams with that pick

Not only that but then to play him in multiple positions he hadn't played recently put a ton of pressure on him.

I agree with a comment earlier that his second half tiring is because he doesn't have the legs to play the outfield.  He's a gamer and will give it his all, but he makes average plays looks spectacular.  I like the guy but the Sox didn't do him any good by bringing him up early only to play him out at multiple positions but not the one he was drafted for. 

6 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Not only that but then to play him in multiple positions he hadn't played recently put a ton of pressure on him.

I agree with a comment earlier that his second half tiring is because he doesn't have the legs to play the outfield.  He's a gamer and will give it his all, but he makes average plays looks spectacular.  I like the guy but the Sox didn't do him any good by bringing him up early only to play him out at multiple positions but not the one he was drafted for. 

Plus they didn't develop him. They're relying on his innate talent to sink or swim.

This org does a horseshit job at working with players to help them grow.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I consider that a contradiction. 

9 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Plus they didn't develop him. They're relying on his innate talent to sink or swim.

This org does a horseshit job at working with players to help them grow.

You could see a lot of development from him last year.

He was an expert at taking the ball the other way for his career so far. His pull rate of 30% is right there with Tim Anderson, Eloy Jimenez, well below average and in the bottom 20% of MLB hitters. His Launch Angle is in the bottom 30% of MLB hitters.

He did exactly what he was coached to do. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You could see a lot of development from him last year.

He was an expert at taking the ball the other way for his career so far. His pull rate of 30% is right there with Tim Anderson, Eloy Jimenez, well below average and in the bottom 20% of MLB hitters. His Launch Angle is in the bottom 30% of MLB hitters.

He did exactly what he was coached to do. 

Touche.

I should have specified directional development.

35 minutes ago, tray said:

Vaughn and Sheets are cheap  platoon 1B/DH/OF players.  Keep them and see how the new Manager deploys them and  how they respond next year. I think we have seen enough of them to know what to expect though.

Yes we have seen enough to know they are not outfielders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

What does this mean??  So teams that aren't winning can't have good coaches?  Sports are about talent.  You can have the best coaches and if they don't have the talent it means nothing.  

Sports are about talent..  Hello 2022 white sox. All the talent in the world, nothing to show for it. 

To answer your question, which you oddly asked very defensively, I would much rather have had a manager that has very recently (like, 0-1 seasons removed) come from a team that's had a sustained culture of winning. Not saying Mr. Pedro won't d o a fine job, but the Kansas City Royals culture and mentality doesn't exactly scream "championship caliber".  

• Love 1

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

What does this mean??  So teams that aren't winning can't have good coaches?  Sports are about talent.  You can have the best coaches and if they don't have the talent it means nothing.  

Yep...that's why a guy wins manager of the year one year and is fired two years later.

On 11/1/2022 at 2:08 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Just went and found this itnerview.  Here is the link:

This interview is Exhibit A why I would never trade Gio this offseason.  Dude is on a mission.  He's going to have a huge season.   

Just finally got a chance to listen to this interview. I was down on Lucas so much this past season, but it’s hard not to love him when you hear an interview like this. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

A manger that embraces analytics.  About damn time. 

It’s great, but what do the analytics say about playing big lumbering outfielders, and signing mediocre utility guys to long term deals in lieu of real position players? This team has to answer to basic common sense first way before analytics.  I have confidence and hope they will now. Well, mostly hope. I would get a ton more satisfaction if Hahn was as sharp as Pedro, and would indicate so. Pedro needs tools to employ. Newsflash to the Sox FO. YOU ARE NOT A CHAMPIONSHIP SQUAD. Get that delusional crap outta here and get to work building.

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• Quin changed the title to Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey