Pedro Grifol named White Sox manager; Katz asked to return per Rosey

Harry Chappas

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright boys, probably good to have this debate come to an end.  I think we can all agree that Boston shouldn’t be retained due to his on the field record alone.

What are you talking about? Our outfield defenders all improved under him.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Quin said:

What are you talking about? Our outfield defenders all improved under him.

Wasn't it Renteria that went to Abreu to convince him to work on his 1B defense lest he end up a DH?  Can we honestly credit Boston for helping anyone improve on the field?

10 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Wasn't it Renteria that went to Abreu to convince him to work on his 1B defense lest he end up a DH?  Can we honestly credit Boston for helping anyone improve on the field?

He was with the OF. Sheets got better, but there isn’t anyone that is going to make Sheets and Vaughn GG. Eloy improved for a while. The issue I had more than general glove work was the throwing. Missing cutoff men was a staple. Often throwing to a wrong base allowing runner advancement was also there so much. Those are things that shouldn’t be problems no matter how untalented of a defensive OF you are. Even the guys who were great defenders, did it. Robert looked like a shell of himself defensively, and Engel to me was an average at best defender in 2022.

1 hour ago, Springfield Soxfan said:

Strange that the rest of the big league coaching staff has yet to be finalized.  

Nah.  It means they are taking their time to find people.  I would be more upset if it was in place on Day 1 because that means that the team dictated who the staff would be to our new manager.

On 11/23/2022 at 8:55 AM, Springfield Soxfan said:

Strange that the rest of the big league coaching staff has yet to be finalized.  

Maybe if Jerry waits until after Christmas, he can save himself from paying out holiday bonuses. Gotta save that money for lining the coffin.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Weird how Tosar didn't get the hitting coach job. 

Castro is Cuban, I wonder if he got the nod because he might be able to get along better with the Cubans on the roster. 

Edited by chw42

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Grifol said Montoyo was his pick

I still find it odd to have a bench coach you’ve only had a handful of brief conversations with, as Grifol mentioned in his press conference. Splitting hairs at this point, guess we’ll see what happens. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

I still find it odd to have a bench coach you’ve only had a handful of brief conversations with, as Grifol mentioned in his press conference. Splitting hairs at this point, guess we’ll see what happens. 

It is all about connections though - so my presumption is he had ties with some people Montoya was close to. It is all about who you know as you know.  It also seems like in general we are seeing a more diverse staff in terms of which orgs individuals are coming from. I don't worry as much about Boston and I had zero issue keeping Katz.

Lets also remember that the best orgs ultimately tend to be pretty directive re: coaching staff anyway, so I don't think in this case having people selected by Front office per say is a bad sign (whether we have confidence in THIS front office - that is a whole nother story).  

But on paper - these seems like a deeper and more diverse staff than they have had in the past.