The State of the Sox...

Lip Man 1

14 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It's quite possible someone had special interest over one company over the other. That's how all politicians do business - lots of back scratching.

You are very, very close to exactly what I was told by one of the sources for the story.

• Like 1

So reading these comments it is obvious to me that the focus seems to be on all minority players after having a manager who has a really bad racial reputation.  A lot of guys had huge drop offs all at once.  I saw a team where the manager burned down the clubhouse and a large portion of the team quit listening and caring.  These same guys all busted their asses for Ricky.  Then last year it all went south at once.  Look, having one or two guys fall off?  Sure, it happens.  But pretty much every established vet fell off.  That's a huge red flag to me. I know a lot believe that all of these guys randomly fell apart at once and will never be good again because 2022, but seeing how many were good in 20 and 21, I see causation. 

I also remember saying this was exactly what the worst case scenario after hiring TLR would be. 

Then it happened. 

Maybe I am the last optimist, but I really feel like getting rid of Tony is carving the cancer out of the body, and now the body can heal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Maybe I am the last optimist, but I really feel like getting rid of Tony is carving the cancer out of the body, and now the body can heal.

Maybe along with some roster changes there’s a chance. I like the prospect of the new hitting coach being someone who’s brought about max power from a couple of swings.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So reading these comments it is obvious to me that the focus seems to be on all minority players after having a manager who has a really bad racial reputation.  A lot of guys had huge drop offs all at once.  I saw a team where the manager burned down the clubhouse and a large portion of the team quit listening and caring.  These same guys all busted their asses for Ricky.  Then last year it all went south at once.  Look, having one or two guys fall off?  Sure, it happens.  But pretty much every established vet fell off.  That's a huge red flag to me. I know a lot believe that all of these guys randomly fell apart at once and will never be good again because 2022, but seeing how many were good in 20 and 21, I see causation. 

I also remember saying this was exactly what the worst case scenario after hiring TLR would be. 

Then it happened. 

I think most Sox fans hope you are right. Also don't forget about the health/injury factor. We'll see what if anything the Sox do with that area.

I was so excited prior to this last year, then we got that mess of a season.  I really think these guys thought they would just get it done  when they needed to and win the division.  I got annoyed at Liam and his comments later in the season about it being time to turn it on or whatever he said....they didn't know that earlier??  I just hope they realize to not take it for granted and play the entire season in 2023.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Then it happened. 

I’m optimistic because they had a bad enough season where it was clear TLR had to go. Could you imagine if they squeaked in with 88 wins, made it a close three game series with like Tampa, then stood pat and ran back exactly the same season because “injuries”? 

This was the most excruciating season I’ve ever endured, but I’m glad it was bad enough to make major changes. I love the Sox way too much not to care whatever happens. It was clear TLR had to go, they had to make a very tough but right choice with Pito, and they needed a different approach of managing. They are 3/3 so far. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard

20 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I’m optimistic because they had a bad enough season where it was clear TLR had to go. Could you imagine if they squeaked in with 88 wins, made it a close three game series with like Tampa, then stood pat and ran back exactly the same season because “injuries”? 

This was the most excruciating season I’ve ever endured, but I’m glad it was bad enough to make major changes. I love the Sox way too much not to care whatever happens. It was clear TLR had to go, they had to make a very tough but right choice with Pito, and they needed a different approach of managing. They are 3/3 so far. 

LaRussa would definitely be back if it wasn’t for whatever his health thing was and I think we all know that.

• Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just curious...can you elaborate?

Honestly?  The details of Tony leaving don't make sense.  Tony came into work and was apparently so bad off that he had to go RIGHT NOW.  The circumstances and details of what and how have been kept secret.  Even the players didn't know.  But then days later he is making cross country plane trips to Arizona,  Oakland and Chicago over the next couple of weeks.  Bad enough that he had to leave right away, bad enough that he couldn't continue to do the job, but also good enough for almost immediate cross country travel, and participating in these ceremonies.  Hell his end of season presser he sounded more coherent than he had all year.

With all of this, no disclosure of what was the trigger, what were the symptoms,  and what was the diagnosis.  Also literally no media asked any questions about it.  Almost like they already knew.  

It doesn't add up.

Occam's Razor would conclude it was simply a heart issue and nothing more. But damn that's boring. 

Most of the intriguing story lines, passed out pre game, needing rehab, losing record are stuff players would know. 

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly?  The details of Tony leaving don't make sense.  Tony came into work and was apparently so bad off that he had to go RIGHT NOW.  The circumstances and details of what and how have been kept secret.  Even the players didn't know.  But then days later he is making cross country plane trips to Arizona,  Oakland and Chicago over the next couple of weeks.  Bad enough that he had to leave right away, bad enough that he couldn't continue to do the job, but also good enough for almost immediate cross country travel, and participating in these ceremonies.  Hell his end of season presser he sounded more coherent than he had all year.

With all of this, no disclosure of what was the trigger, what were the symptoms,  and what was the diagnosis.  Also literally no media asked any questions about it.  Almost like they already knew.  

It doesn't add up.

My mom's a nurse and I asked her about this when it first happened. She said someone his age and condition (known issues with alcohol) could absolutely have had some lab work come back with results so alarming that a doctor would call him and order him home immediately.

22 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

My mom's a nurse and I asked her about this when it first happened. She said someone his age and condition (known issues with alcohol) could absolutely have had some lab work come back with results so alarming that a doctor would call him and order him home immediately.

I think we all get that part, that such things are possible. Would he then be repeatedly traveling across the country, starting a few days later though? 

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

No idea about that.

Exactly. He wasn't behaving as though he was a guy immediately undergoing major medical treatment on something that was so life threatening that he had no choice but to be pulled out without warning after already doing pregame interviews. 

59 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don't doubt there was something wrong. But when you put that with at least 3 cross country trips in the next two weeks, participating in ceremonies, but not press conferences, or the ability to work going forward.  Just seems odd that something would be so immediate and a huge deal, but also require no immediate life changes too.

State of the Sox: Name one player from the Dominican Republic that the Sox drafted as an International Free Agent who went through the system and played for the White Sox. I can't name one either.

When players from a small country produce so many quality MLB players and the Sox have had only _____.(fill in the blank), that's pretty much all you need to know.

The guy who pitched 6 no hit innings in the World Series was signed and DEVELOPED by the Astros for 10K !

Edit: Remember Juan Marichal. 1st DR player to be inducted in the Hall of Fame started his career in 1960 and there have been 3 other HOF Dominicans so that pipeline has been open for 60+ years but it's been bone dry for the Sox.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

State of the Sox: Name one player from the Dominican Republic that the Sox drafted as an International Free Agent who went through the system and played for the White Sox. I can't name one either.

When players from a small country produce so many quality MLB players and the Sox have had only _____.(fill in the blank), that's pretty much all you need to know.

The guy who pitched 6 no hit innings in the World Series was signed and DEVELOPED by the Astros for 10K !

Edit: Remember Juan Marichal. 1st DR player to be inducted in the Hall of Fame started his career in 1960 and there have been 3 other HOF Dominicans so that pipeline has been open for 60+ years but it's been bone dry for the Sox.

Yeah, it’s highly problematic, but Paddy has made strides overall in LA.  Just happens more of those guys are coming from Cuba & Venezuela.  Going to need Popeye to break the barrier on the Dominic side.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't doubt there was something wrong. But when you put that with at least 3 cross country trips in the next two weeks, participating in ceremonies, but not press conferences, or the ability to work going forward.  Just seems odd that something would be so immediate and a huge deal, but also require no immediate life changes too.

The White Sox not saying anything about it is odd to me.  If there was a serious issue I think Hahn steps up and says something. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The White Sox not saying anything about it is odd to me.  If there was a serious issue I think Hahn steps up and says something. 

Like any other time people are told it was a heart problem or blockage or whatever.  But nothing, and media wouldn't ask.  It's weird.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Like any other time people are told it was a heart problem or blockage or whatever.  But nothing, and media wouldn't ask.  It's weird.

With absolutely ZERO support beyond his DUI history, I strongly suspect it is related to some level of alcoholism and/or mental health issues. I see no other reason to be so cagey about his medical condition. The fact that he looked and sounded so much better in his farewell press conference makes me think he has been focused on some program to get cleaned up. 

Again, I have no sources nor any expertise in any of this stuff. Just a dummy on a message board speculating. 

29 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

With absolutely ZERO support beyond his DUI history, I strongly suspect it is related to some level of alcoholism and/or mental health issues. I see no other reason to be so cagey about his medical condition. The fact that he looked and sounded so much better in his farewell press conference makes me think he has been focused on some program to get cleaned up. 

Again, I have no sources nor any expertise in any of this stuff. Just a dummy on a message board speculating. 

And there is nothing out there telling the actual story,  so it isn't hard to imagine.