The State of the Sox...

Lip Man 1

34 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

With absolutely ZERO support beyond his DUI history, I strongly suspect it is related to some level of alcoholism and/or mental health issues. I see no other reason to be so cagey about his medical condition. The fact that he looked and sounded so much better in his farewell press conference makes me think he has been focused on some program to get cleaned up. 

Again, I have no sources nor any expertise in any of this stuff. Just a dummy on a message board speculating. 

Wouldn’t that be something if managing caused him to basically be a drunk in the dugout. Would certainly explain his decisions.

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

On 11/4/2022 at 12:50 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Wouldn’t that be something if managing caused him to basically be a drunk in the dugout. Would certainly explain his decisions.

Like I was kind of saying before, we have no way of knowing what is true or not, but you can't rule this out because no one with the Sox will talk, and no one in the local media will answer.  But I will say this much, it does check all of the boxes here like nothing else I have heard does.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Like I was kind of saying before, we have no way of knowing what is true or not, but you can't rule this out because no one with the Sox will talk, and no one in the local media will answer.  But I will say this much, it does check all of the boxes here like nothing else I have heard does.

A clubhouse could certainly become toxic quickly if the manager is drunk before/during/right after the game. Could also explain my profile picture. Being drunk all the time could also lead to other health problems, especially at Tony's age. Would also fit the "sweep it under the rug" behavior from the DUI when he was hired.

It might not be fair to speculate, and it might be a legit serious health issue out of his control, but this is what happens when you don't explain wtf is going on.

On 11/1/2022 at 10:32 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Interesting re: Anderson. I guess I never really looked at the possibility of him being moved. I wonder if they would actually have the balls to move him AND cut ties with Abreu in the same offseason.

To me, the upside downside isn't there. We have him for 2 more years at a very reasonable price. SS is one of the deeper positions with 4 premium SS available in this off-season alone. This decreases his relative value this offseason. You also have to consider the in-house options which are currently thin to say the least. There's absolutely no reason to create a hole on this team. You keep him, you see how Colson does this year, you see how TA bounces back after being a year removed from his family issues and reassess next offseason. It seems hard for fans to remember just how good he was at the start of last season. Through the first two months he was batting like .360. 

Tim is not the issue, nor is his salary. nor is his contract. next offseason you have a ton more clarity in regards to the direction of this team both from a payroll perspective as well as true odds to win. (not to mention Colson). Next year is the year you trade him 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, almagest said:

A clubhouse could certainly become toxic quickly if the manager is drunk before/during/right after the game. Could also explain my profile picture. Being drunk all the time could also lead to other health problems, especially at Tony's age. Would also fit the "sweep it under the rug" behavior from the DUI when he was hired.

It might not be fair to speculate, and it might be a legit serious health issue out of his control, but this is what happens when you don't explain wtf is going on.

Like I said, it would be really easy to control this narrative and put any speculation to bed, but of course a lack of answers would also fit with why no one wants to speak about this, so on it goes.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is why I said last week that this window is closed. There is no avenue for this team to become a champion unless half the team significantly improves. We will enter the season as the 15th best team and finish the season that way. Welcome back to mediocrity, Sox fans. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

On 11/4/2022 at 12:15 PM, Pants Rowland said:

With absolutely ZERO support beyond his DUI history, I strongly suspect it is related to some level of alcoholism and/or mental health issues. I see no other reason to be so cagey about his medical condition. The fact that he looked and sounded so much better in his farewell press conference makes me think he has been focused on some program to get cleaned up. 

Again, I have no sources nor any expertise in any of this stuff. Just a dummy on a message board speculating. 

I’ve worked with someone who got so far into the bottle that he had to quietly be told he had to go to a 4 week intake facility or be removed. He chose the facility, and very few people know he wasn’t on a leave of absence for medical reasons.

For me… and I’m also just some dummy on a message board speculating… this all kind of adds up now. I don’t want to assume anything, and certainly I’m sympathetic if that’s what happened, but it really does make sense as a possible explanation.

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, almagest said:

It was those 25 cent beer nights that ruined Tony. 

State of the White Sox is as low as it's been in a while. The fact Pollock wanted out so badly does not look good. It makes me think it's posslble some of the Sox young "stars" just might not have it in the 'want-to' department. Let's just say the young core has some work to do to prove they actually want to win.

The Sox performance this season especially in division games screamed of a team with not much depth and not much spirit. It was a blah season from beginning to end.

I don't know how much the FO realizes how much their credibility is at stake right now. I don't expect them to spend gobs of money, but this has to be an active offseason. Another disappointing season in 2023 will result in fans labeling the rebuild a failure if they haven't already.  Denial and blaming the fans will not work. 

24 minutes ago, Highland said:

I don't know how much the FO realizes how much their credibility is at stake right now. I don't expect them to spend gobs of money, but this has to be an active offseason. Another disappointing season in 2023 will result in fans labeling the rebuild a failure if they haven't already.  Denial and blaming the fans will not work. 

Unfortunately that is one of the few things this organization has shown themselves to be very good at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Highland said:

If Pollock declining his option is truly an indicator of players wanting (or not wanting) to play for the Sox, it might be hard to convince FA's to sign unless the only other teams that want them are equally as undesirable to play for as the Sox.  In other words, there might be a limit to what can actually be done this offseason.  That's based on reading into Pollock's decision, but based on comments from other players that recently "left" the organization, they may be facing an uphill battle.     

58 minutes ago, PorkChopExpress said:

If Pollock declining his option is truly an indicator of players wanting (or not wanting) to play for the Sox, it might be hard to convince FA's to sign unless the only other teams that want them are equally as undesirable to play for as the Sox.  In other words, there might be a limit to what can actually be done this offseason.  That's based on reading into Pollock's decision, but based on comments from other players that recently "left" the organization, they may be facing an uphill battle.     

The image of the White Sox organization has taken a beating the past few months. Money is always the main motivator, but players still like the idea of being on a winning team. It will be up to the FO to convince the players and the fans that the team is serious about turning things around. The hiring of the manager went okay; at least the team tried to give an appearance of a detailed search, and no ex-Sox player was hired. But the Pollock thing was not good. 

On 11/2/2022 at 12:27 AM, greg775 said:

The Sox are a mess. The last game of the season says it all. 10-0 loss right? To Minnie?

Sox appear to be a team that doesn't care when it plays a Central Division team. The team generally plays well against teams in other divisions. They can't be bothered to excel against their division neighbors.

The manager hire is a big yawn which is fine. It's the same as most teams managers. Renteria should still be manager. At least the teams were exciting. Sad state of affairs. Sox sadly are going nowhere. Not sure what it will take to get the team to wake up.

Sad state of affairs. Sox sadly are going nowhere. Not sure what it will take to get the team to wake up.

Simple answer: New owner and/or a new front office where they are competent, intelligent and actually know how to build a baseball championship organization! In others word, not until JR passes on and the team is sold. 

On 11/1/2022 at 8:46 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

For the last several weeks I've been working on a story trying to find out what is going on with this organization in an extremely crucial off season. It may be the last chance they have to get the rebuild/contention window right.

The Sox of course are being very tight lipped as per usual, Sox Fest has been cancelled, no chance for anyone to ask the brass any questions... so I went to a half dozen sources who know the organization to try to get a handle on what may be happening. 

If you read the story I describe those sources in general terms but not specifically because I wanted honest answers.

I believe what they've told me on a number of issues. 

I've been a Sox Fan for 62 seasons NO ONE wants this rebuild/contention window to succeed more than I do, but I've got to tell you, based of what I've been told, I think the chances are very slim. This organization simply is "mired in mediocrity" for wont of a better word and in my opinion until new ownership and a new front office is brought in I suspect it will be more of "one step forward, two steps back..."

But we'll see.

Here is the link to the story: 

https://www.wsiforumstoo.com/74118-the-state-of-the-sox

Wow, I knew many of these things, but didn't know all the other sad and pathetic tidbits, which just further illustrates why this organization is so awful and clueless.

This makes me even more depressed and sad that Reinsdorf is still the inept and uncaring owner of my favorite sports team.

It's so unfair to the diehard and loyal Sox fans that has to once again, deal with Jerry Reinsdorf/Rick Hahn and their loser front office...that continue to play checkers when the other great baseball organizations are playing chess going into 2023!

Thanks again for the story!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 1:29 PM, SonofaRoache said:

This is why I said last week that this window is closed. There is no avenue for this team to become a champion unless half the team significantly improves. We will enter the season as the 15th best team and finish the season that way. Welcome back to mediocrity, Sox fans. 

If Abreu leaves, we will probably be worse than 15th.