Sox picking up TA option

southsider2k5

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Hoping that we read “Pollock declines player option” no matter how unlikely it is, ha.

Problem with that is Sox then need 2 OFs. Can you find one better than Pollock for 1/$7M? Maybe…but the net cost is about right 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Problem with that is Sox then need 2 OFs. Can you find one better than Pollock for 1/$7M? Maybe…but the net cost is about right 

1/$8 mill but you’re probably right. We’re talking about the 4th OF (when Colas come up and if they add another left-handed bat) but with this team’s injury history, I guess you could do worse than Pollock.

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

1/$8 mill but you’re probably right. We’re talking about the 4th OF (when Colas come up and if they add another left-handed bat) but with this team’s injury history, I guess you could do worse than Pollock.

Yeah, that $5M buyout sucks.  1/$8M sounds about right for AJ.  At least you can squint and see a useful player there if his at bats against tough RHP are limited.  And certainly provides some injury insurance you noted.  

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, that $5M buyout sucks.  1/$8M sounds about right for AJ.  At least you can squint and see a useful player there if his at bats against tough RHP are limited.  And certainly provides some injury insurance you noted.  

A Conforto/Gallo and Pollock platoon doesn't seem so bad. 

However, you can probably throw in Tyler Naquin to that platoon and it'd work out similarly. 

Edited by chw42

3 hours ago, chw42 said:

Good thing Harrison isn't back. That guy would be a nice utility player, but he is not a full-time 2nd baseman. 

More hustle than the next three guys and a great attitude.  Whole lotta other guys I'd rather wave goodbye to.  But, it's true the production could have been better.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

This is a good time to move TA. You can get a huge return most likely since there would be 2 years left on a cheap salary for a 3-4 WAR SS. 

He’s coming off one of his worst seasons in the past 2-3 years and there are actually decent SS free agents this year. Would be a terrible time to trade him, I’m not opposed, but let him build up value again. Plus who would play SS, Leury??

• Like 1