2023 26-man roster as of TODAY, updated after each transaction

CentralChamps21

Only including guys in the organization, what is the 26 man roster today? I think this exercise helps to sort out what the most urgent needs are:

SP - Cease, Kopech, Lynn, Giolito, Martin

RP - Hendriks, Graveman, Bummer, Lopez, Kelly, Crochet, Diekman, Lambert

C - Grandal, Zavala

IF - Moncada, Anderson, Mendick, Vaughn, Garcia, Gonzalez

OF - Jimenez, Robert, Colas, Pollock, Engel

I listed Gonzalez for the 26th spot, but I think you could argue Sheets or Sosa as well. In any event, it should be pointless as there's clearly going to be at least one middle IF addition and probably OF additions as well.

I expect Engel to be non-tendered but until he is, he's there.

I expect a SP addition so Martin can go be depth in AAA.

I expect Diekman to get DFA/traded.

I'd love to see Leury DFA/traded but I fear we're stuck with him.

So that's a minimum of four guys (Gonzalez, Engel, Martin, Diekman) that I expect to be replaced by acquisitions through FA or trade.

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t think Diekman is going anywhere. He’s not good but they need a 2nd lefty in the bullpen behind Bummer anyway.

With the 3-batter rule, a decent righty is more valuable than a washed up lefty. Plus, as of now Crochet is in the bullpen.

Edited by CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, CentralChamps21 said:

With the 3-batter rule, a decent righty is more valuable than a washed up lefty. Plus, as of now Crochet is in the bullpen.

At the very least, he's under contract with the White Sox on a big league deal. So, until they trade him or Designate him for Assignment, he's on the 26 man roster. 

I think until he plays in MLB  Colas should be replaced on your list by Sheets.

He had the 7th most AB's on the Sox. You're expecting Engel to be DFA'd and Sheets isn't on your roster. Based on time with the Sox last year until you know otherwise Sheets is on the 26.

If others are correct that Colas will be held back to get the extra year there's no telling when he will be called up .He could have a slow start in AAA which would make it easier for the Sox to manipulate his service time. If they call him up right after they get the extra year it's too obvious .

Mendick also barely played last year.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Mendick also barely played last year.

Mendick and Ruiz could both potentially be guys who get arbitration offers. Arb-1 for back end relievers and backup guys is something like $1 million, while a minimum salary guy from the minors makes $720k. It will be somewhat up in the air what happens to those guys until the arbitration offers are out. Personally, I've complained about depth and preparing for injuries enough that I'd probably keep both of them, if Mendick was expected to be recovered this year. 

It’s unfortunate, but I think this org still perceives Leury having too much “versatility” to cut bait with, because if anyone in the outfield or infield goes down with an long, unexpected injury, he gives you ML depth at probably a fairly reliable 0-1 WAR. I’m trying to decipher his defensive value as a backup infielder and outfielder. What’s the best way to do that? 

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

It’s unfortunate, but I think this org still perceives Leury having too much “versatility” to cut bait with, because if anyone in the outfield or infield goes down with an long, unexpected injury, he gives you ML depth at probably a fairly reliable 0-1 WAR. I’m trying to decipher his defensive value as a backup infielder and outfielder. What’s the best way to do that? 

Idk but I’m really hoping they find some way to dump one of the smaller bad salaries. Him included.

19 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Leury is money already spent.  He's expensive for what he is but used sparingly he's fine.

Transaction: Pollock declines player option and is bought out

Out: Pollock

In: Sheets

C - Grandal, Zavala

OF - Jimenez, Robert, Colas, Sheets, Engel

9 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Only including guys in the organization, what is the 26 man roster today? I think this exercise helps to sort out what the most urgent needs are:

C - Grandal, Zavala

OF - Jimenez, Robert, Colas, Pollock, Engel

I listed Gonzalez for the 26th spot, but I think you could argue Sheets or Sosa as well. In any event, it should be pointless as there's clearly going to be at least one middle IF addition and probably OF additions as well.

I expect Engel to be non-tendered but until he is, he's there.

I expect a SP addition so Martin can go be depth in AAA.

I expect Diekman to get DFA/traded.

I'd love to see Leury DFA/traded but I fear we're stuck with him.

So that's a minimum of four guys (Gonzalez, Engel, Martin, Diekman) that I expect to be replaced by acquisitions through FA or trade.

Did we trade Sheets? I guess he’s not in your plans to be on the roster?

On 11/8/2022 at 10:01 PM, AJ'S Cousin said:

Did we trade Sheets? I guess he’s not in your plans to be on the roster?

I had originally projected Sheets to be in the minors, but with Pollock declining his option, that moved Sheets up.

Rodriguez and Ramos added to the 40-man roster yesterday, but neither projects to crack the OD roster at this point.

Transaction: Engel, Mendick, Payton non-tendered

Out: Engel, Mendick

In: Sosa,

C - Grandal, Zavala

IF - Moncada, Anderson, Mendick, Vaughn, Gonzalez, Burger

OF - Jimenez, Robert, Colas, Sheets, Garcia

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Thread seems kind of unnecessary as there should be battles in spring training for spots. The active roster in the off-season is the 40-man roster.

Eh, it’s kind of fun to see what the 26 man roster might look like if the season started today and then how that evolves as the offseason progresses. I like the thread. 

• Like 2

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

They are basically assuming he will eventually get bumped up.  They also have Colas as our starting RF.

Yeah when I check it out I noticed that as well. Seems like internal projections for open spots. Still figured they'd defer to 40man guys, but that's just picking nits.