2023 26-man roster as of TODAY, updated after each transaction

CentralChamps21

28 minutes ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

Most of the roster is set, the main decisions are:

1. Starting RF: Colas or Sheets. I think it'll be Colas.
  2. 5th starter (Clevinger vs. Davis), depending on the outcome of the investigation
  3. Last RP: Avila, Foster, Santos, or German. Avila has the edge due to being a rule 5.
  4. Bench: Zavala and Leury are sure things, I'm going Romy and Sheets for the other two spots.

Romy and Leury combined can cover the infield and outfield. Sheets would be the backup 1B/DH where the starters are opposite-handed.

If Colas makes it out of Spring Training as the starter in RF, I see no room on the roster for Sheets unless there’s an injury to Vaughn, Eloy, Benintendi or Colas himself.

23 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If Colas makes it out of Spring Training as the starter in RF, I see no room on the roster for Sheets unless there’s an injury to Vaughn, Eloy, Benintendi or Colas himself.

Sheets would be the backup 1B, DH, and pinch hitter.

While neither Eloy nor Vaughn really need to be platooned, they both are going to need days off, and those days off should come against RHP. There's nobody on the roster I can even imagine who would be suitable to DH or play 1B against RHP other than Sheets.

Also FWIW, Sheets hits RHP significantly better than Vaughn does (at least thus far in their careers).

We start with:

1B Vaughn
2B Andrus
3B Moncada
SS Anderson
C Grandal
LF Benintendi
CF Robert
RF ???
DH Eloy

That’s 8 guys.

Add Seby Zavala as backup catcher and you have 9 of the 13 accounted for. Also potentially in the mix:

Gavin Sheets RF/1B/DH
Leury Garcia 3B/SS/2B/LF/CF/RF
Romy Gonzalez 3B/SS/2B
Oscar Colas RF
Jake Burger 3B/1B/DH
Billy Hamilton LF/CF
Jake Marisnick LF/CF/RF

One of the above will need to start in RF and 3 more will occupy bench spots. Sheets, Romy, Burger, and Colas all have minor league options AFAIK.

Your choices for RF are Colas, Sheets, Leury, Marisnick, or Eloy + some non-OF at DH. I don't think the Sox would start Hamilton in RF except under special circumstances.

If I were in charge, I think I'd go Colas in RF plus Romy, Marisnick, and Sheets on the bench. I'm not totally sold on Colas, in which case I guess I'm stuck with Sheets/Marisnick platoon and Romy + ??? I don't know, Leury or Hamilton?

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Looking at these roster options, I’m still very annoyed we didn’t go out and sign a quality 4th OF who hits from the right side.  That lack of depth is going to bite us at some point next year.

This is why Burger makes more sense on the roster than Sheets does though imo 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is why Burger makes more sense on the roster than Sheets does though imo 

If you’re willing to play Eloy in RF regularly, sure. Otherwise burger is gonna be harder to get ABs for than Sheets. Neither really fit all that well if/when all position players are healthy. But it’s awfully nice depth to have in AAa. Both will be needed plenty in 23.  

41 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If you’re willing to play Eloy in RF regularly, sure. Otherwise burger is gonna be harder to get ABs for than Sheets. Neither really fit all that well if/when all position players are healthy. But it’s awfully nice depth to have in AAa. Both will be needed plenty in 23.  

46 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Can you expand on that? What role would Burger have?

In a scenario where Colas is sitting vs a LHP, you could play Eloy in RF and DH Burger. I’d never play Sheets over Vaughn, Eloy, Benintendi or Colas though so I’m not sure how he fits other than PH for RHH sometimes 

I don’t think sheets is in the running for starting RF. Was at first two spring training practices, Sheets is not even working out with outfielders, strictly with the 1B group. Makes it seem that we’ll either see Colas or Eloy (with Sheets or Burger as DH if it’s Eloy)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

In a scenario where Colas is sitting vs a LHP, you could play Eloy in RF and DH Burger. I’d never play Sheets over Vaughn, Eloy, Benintendi or Colas though so I’m not sure how he fits other than PH for RHH sometimes 

Agreed on Sheets

1 hour ago, Fuagman said:

I don’t think sheets is in the running for starting RF. Was at first two spring training practices, Sheets is not even working out with outfielders, strictly with the 1B group. Makes it seem that we’ll either see Colas or Eloy (with Sheets or Burger as DH if it’s Eloy)

I think Romy we’ll get regular RF reps in April if Colas isn’t on the OD roster. 

11 hours ago, Fuagman said:

I do hope they learned their lesson on Sheets in the OF.  He and AV should be emergency options only out there.  

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The bench would be really weak against RHP if Sheets is not on the team. And 2/3 of at bats come against RHP.

1 hour ago, ChiSoxTrojan said:

The bench would be really weak against RHP if Sheets is not on the team. And 2/3 of at bats come against RHP.

Again, who is Gavin pinch hitting for?  Who is he starting over?  The Sox aren't going to sit AV 2-3x a week for Gavin f'in Sheets like you insinuated yesterday.  That would be insane. 

You aren't pinch hitting Sheets for any of the regular players except perhaps whoever is playing 2B that day (Elvis likely most of the time), and the second you make that move, they just bring in a lefty reliever if they can.  

Sheets has a role on this club when it is not full strength, which will be the case plenty this season.  If it IS full strength, he's hardly going to play.  He's better off getting regular at bats in AAA in that scenario.  Now, if Colas starts in AAA, Gavin will play plenty in the interim.  If one of our guys gets hurt between now and Opening Day, again, Gavin will play plenty.  

But full strength position player core, Gavin's utility on the roster is so minimal that Jake Burger might actually be more useful on the roster.  

Edited by ChiSox59

I'd rather have Sheets in RF on occasion 

18 hours ago, Jake said:

We start with:

1B Vaughn
2B Andrus
3B Moncada
SS Anderson
C Grandal
LF Benintendi
CF Robert
RF ???
DH Eloy

That’s 8 guys.

Add Seby Zavala as backup catcher and you have 9 of the 13 accounted for. Also potentially in the mix:

Gavin Sheets RF/1B/DH
Leury Garcia 3B/SS/2B/LF/CF/RF
Romy Gonzalez 3B/SS/2B
Oscar Colas RF
Jake Burger 3B/1B/DH
Billy Hamilton LF/CF
Jake Marisnick LF/CF/RF

Sheets and Colas seem like givens. Can't have an entire bench  that can't hit.  At least Sheets can play OF.  The rest is kind of murky.  I'd put Sosa in the mix for backup infielder if he has a good spring; he should get a good amount of playing time.  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Again, who is Gavin pinch hitting for?  Who is he starting over?  The Sox aren't going to sit AV 2-3x a week for Gavin f'in Sheets like you insinuated yesterday.  That would be insane. 

You aren't pinch hitting Sheets for any of the regular players except perhaps whoever is playing 2B that day (Elvis likely most of the time), and the second you make that move, they just bring in a lefty reliever if they can.  

Sheets has a role on this club when it is not full strength, which will be the case plenty this season.  If it IS full strength, he's hardly going to play.  He's better off getting regular at bats in AAA in that scenario.  Now, if Colas starts in AAA, Gavin will play plenty in the interim.  If one of our guys gets hurt between now and Opening Day, again, Gavin will play plenty.  

But full strength position player core, Gavin's utility on the roster is so minimal that Jake Burger might actually be more useful on the roster.  

I was thinking the only spots you'd use him as a pinch hitter are 2B and backup C late in the game if you're looking for a bomb late. That is about it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Pitching:

Cease, Lynn, Kopech, Giolito
Graveman, Kelly, Bummer, Lopez, Banks, Martin, Lambert, Foster, Ruiz
One of Martin, Lambert, Banks as 5th starter. 
A young guy who pops up in the spring could displace a Ruiz or the like.

This isn't that close.

It'll be Cease, Lynn, Kopech, Giolito, Clevinger

Graveman, Kelly, Bummer, Lopez, Diekman, Lambert, Ruiz

Final spot will go to one of Avila, German or Santos with Avila having the initial upper hand as a rule 5 pick. Or now perhaps Bryan Shaw, but my guess is they'd rather wait on him as its an milb deal and obviously won't have options. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Oh, I'm sure he will be on the roster.

I was just hoping for an upgrade from a 36 year old with a negative fwar each of the last 2 seasons.

So your solution is to replace him with someone that’s exceptionally likely to be worse just because….he’s younger?