AJ Pollock declines option, becomes FA

Sleepy Harold

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He could probably get a 1 year $5M deal sacrificing a few mill to play somewhere he wants to be.

I'll be surprised if he nets what he would have had he stayed, but if the clubhouse was as toxic as it seemed, I can hardly blame him.  A few $M less to be somewhere he wants to be at the tail end of his career does make sense.

Looking at right-handed OF bats (potentially ones that can play CF too) to platoon with whatever lefty they bring in, there really aren't many solid options (in free agency at least) to the point where paying Engel $2.3 mill seems more likely now than when we thought Pollock would also be here. Unless the Sox make a small trade for one.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This does clear up some money, but also creates a need. 

Wonder if that is a comment on the team.

Kind of my first thought, honestly. He's going to be 35 in December so it's not like he's in line for a huge payday...he wanted to get out for a reason, other than money. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Kind of my first thought, honestly. He's going to be 35 in December so it's not like he's in line for a huge payday...he wanted to get out for a reason, other than money. 

Whats the likelihood the Sox approached him and said "Listen, if you opt in the plan is to use you as a 4th OFer / Backup" and he just wasn't interested in that?

1 minute ago, Joshua Strong said:

He must’ve really fucking hated playing for the Sox

It honestly seemed that way when I saw his first interview here. 

The fact that he straight up turned down $8 million when he probably doesn't get more than that anywhere else tells you how much he didn't like playing here. 

• Like 4

Just now, chw42 said:

It honestly seemed that way when I saw his first interview here. 

The fact that he straight up turned down $8 million when he probably doesn't get more than that anywhere else tells you how much he didn't like playing here. 

He is going to get close to $10 million anyways considering the buyout is $5 million.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Looking at right-handed OF bats (potentially ones that can play CF too) to platoon with whatever lefty they bring in, there really aren't many solid options (in free agency at least) to the point where paying Engel $2.3 mill seems more likely now than when we thought Pollock would also be here. Unless the Sox make a small trade for one.

Really hope this doesn't mean Engel is back.  It really is time to move on.

• Like 2