AJ Pollock declines option, becomes FA

Sleepy Harold

Spotrac had us at $171.5 million projected payroll before Pollock declined the option. Subtract $8 million from that and we're at 163.5 million. If we stay at around the $195 million payroll mark, that leaves us about $33 million in space for FAs and trades. 

Edited by chw42

3 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

He is going to get close to $10 million anyways considering the buyout is $5 million.

He was gonna get $13 million had he stayed here. I don't see him getting $8 million from another team, but you never know I guess. 

Just now, T R U said:

Whats the likelihood the Sox approached him and said "Listen, if you opt in the plan is to use you as a 4th OFer / Backup" and he just wasn't interested in that?

For sure possible, but not even sure that convo needed to be had, think that writing was sort of on the wall. 

The guy has played his entire career on the West Coast. He's also made over $70,000,000 in his career counting the buyout he just got from the Sox. He was in line for 13 mil and took 5 million to get bought out, so even if he signs back with the Dodgers or D'Backs for like 6 million, he's costing himself 2 or 3 million and in the grand scheme, I can understand wanting to play where you want at age 35. 

BUT...there is a reason he declined an extra 8 million guaranteed dollars, and my guess is it's not just playing time, especially given he received nearly 500 PA's in 2022 and put up a 0.6 WAR..there isn't going to be a ton of OF starting jobs up for grabs for a 35 year old Pollock. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

Whats the likelihood the Sox approached him and said "Listen, if you opt in the plan is to use you as a 4th OFer / Backup" and he just wasn't interested in that?

That's my working theory. Like when they extended Orlando Cabrera a qualifying offer, but told him even if he accepts he's still going to backup Alexei.

Edited by DirtySox

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Oh I agree. Just looking at the free agents options is discouraging, unless you want Tommy Pham or Kevin Pillar.

Yeah, which doesn't exactly bode well.  And cheap mediocre 4th OF fits the bill if they really are as "cash strapped" as they have hinted.

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

What was the story there?  I don't remember the context.

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

That's my working theory. Like when they extended Orlando Cabrera a qualifying offer, but told him even if he accepts he's still going to backup Alexei.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Gotcha.  Opt in if you want, but you're a back up either way.  If so let's hope they have an actual plan that doesn't include Eloy, Sheets, and AV in the OF every day.

You're probably gonna see Sheets out there now with Pollock off the roster. Hopefully they can sign a left handed corner OFer and Colas will cover RF in early May. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The Pollock money probably ends up going to a 5th starter. 

That means you got about $25 million to figure out 1 OF spot and maybe address 2B. 

Get a lefty every day bat for LF or RF (Colas plays the other spot) and grab a right-handed 4th OF. Non-tender Engel please.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

You're probably gonna see Sheets out there now with Pollock off the roster. Hopefully they can sign a left handed corner OFer and Colas will cover RF in early May. 

I could live with Sheets in LF until Colas is up if they actually sign a real LH OF.  He best never play RF again though.

24 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Get a lefty every day bat for LF or RF (Colas plays the other spot) and grab a right-handed 4th OF.

Benintendi at 3 years $42 million ($14 million AAV) to play LF now that Pollock is out of the picture
Quintana/Manaea at 2 years $22 million ($11 million AAV)
Kolten Wong at 2 years $15 million ($7.5 million AAV)

I took at look at the 4th OF type FAs and most are lefties. None of the righties are really better than Engel nor can they fill in in CF. 

Benintendi, Wong, and Colas would remake this team offensively. As they go from having just 3 left handed bats (including switch hitters) to 5. Wong and Benintendi both had a wRC+ above 130 agains RHP. 

Edited by chw42
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Benintendi at 3 years $52 million ($14 million AAV) to play LF now that Pollock is out of the picture
Quintana/Manaea at 2 years $22 million ($11 million AAV)
Kolten Wong at 2 years $15 million ($7.5 million AAV)

I took at look at the 4th OF type FAs and most are lefties. None of the righties are really better than Engel nor can they fill in in CF. 

Brewers picked up Wong's option.