AJ Pollock declines option, becomes FA

Sleepy Harold

10 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Didn't read through all the posts, so someone may have already said this, but my guess is the Sox told Pollock that he was at best going to be the weak half of a platoon and if he wants to maximize his future earnings, he'd do better to go somewhere he can be a full time starter, even if it means he makes less in 2023.

Plausible but he's going to be 36 next offseason so it's not a guarantee that he will even be looking at a contract if he is any worse or gets hurt this year.

I think it's more likely he takes a small loss this season to go somewhere that he's more comfortable, personally or for a title run or because he didn't like this organization or whatever else the reason. That at this point in his career, its worth it to lose a couple million to go where he wants to play. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m pretty sure we were closer to $196M give or take.

We did this in another thread on Friday. 

To get to $196, either I missed something that isn't in Spotrac, or you're counting signing bonuses, or you're counting money spent on the draft. 

This drops the payroll to just over $160 million committed, so roughly $30 million available to get back to the same payroll next season. Exact number might be different slightly but also depends on arb offers and numbers. 

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Sosa was really good in AAA down the stretch.  What makes you think he’s not ready for a shot?

He didn't look ready at all when they called him up. Maybe some time in AAA did him some good, but we'll see. 

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why are we trading from an already weak system if we have $30M+ to spend on a handful of needs?  Hopefully this is simple 4D chess that Rick is playing, but Trader Hahn trying to fix the roster is a scary proposition.

Because that is what we do, instead of just signing someone to fix the hole we need, we try to trade the little assets we have for them because Jerry doesn’t want to write the big check

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m pretty sure we were closer to $196M give or take.

I figured it out on the way home. The difference is actually Pollock’s buyout.

They spent $190.7 million this year before Pollock’s buyout. If Pollock’s buyout is counted as the first transaction in FY 2023, they spent $190.7 million and have $161 ish million on the books, so they’d have $30 million to spend.

If you count Pollock as on FY 2022, then they spent $195.7 million last season and have $156 million ish on the books, leaving them about $40 million to spend to get back to this years’ payroll.

So, depending on bookkeeping, it could conceivably be anywhere from $30 to $40 million to spend for Hahn’s statement today to be accurate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why are we trading from an already weak system if we have $30M+ to spend on a handful of needs?  Hopefully this is simple 4D chess that Rick is playing, but Trader Hahn trying to fix the roster is a scary proposition.

When I read that tweet, my first thought was…

”Nice, Hahn is already trying to get inside the agents’ heads by making it seem like we don’t need to sign any outfielders.”

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I figured it out on the way home. The difference is actually Pollock’s buyout.

They spent $190.7 million this year before Pollock’s buyout. If Pollock’s buyout is counted as the first transaction in FY 2023, they spent $190.7 million and have $161 ish million on the books, so they’d have $30 million to spend.

If you count Pollock as on FY 2022, then they spent $195.7 million last season and have $156 million ish on the books, leaving them about $40 million to spend to get back to this years’ payroll.

So, depending on bookkeeping, it could conceivably be anywhere from $30 to $40 million to spend for Hahn’s statement today to be accurate.

Gee, I wonder which way Jerry will be counting it? 🤔 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, chw42 said:

He didn't look ready at all when they called him up. Maybe some time in AAA did him some good, but we'll see. 

Lux hit .175 in more at bats when he was 22. Getting started can be tough, but Sosa has always hit.

If given a chance Sosa and Rodriguez will both be above average players in the majors. As a rule, the

Sox are impatient with rookies. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Thank goodness he's gone. Obviously he despises the organization and realizes the team is going nowhere.

He was a bust but I don't blame him if he despises the organization like most of us do. I don't despise the White Sox franchise, I despise the Reinsdorf organization and can't wait until he sells the Sox, I'm not getting any younger.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2