AJ Pollock declines option, becomes FA

Sleepy Harold

18 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Only if we upgrade the position!

This is kinda my concern. I fully expected Pollock to be back, but now we need two OFs. I guess worst case Sheets can hold down LF until Colas arrives, but Pollock honestly would have been useful to have around for what really amounts to a net cost of $8M. Now if that $8M is intelligently reallocated, it could be good news, but IMO the Sox are slightly worse today than they were this time yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is kinda my concern. I fully expected Pollock to be back, but now we need two OFs. I guess worst case Sheets can hold down LF until Colas arrives, but Pollock honestly would have been useful to have around for what really amounts to a net cost of $8M. Now if that $8M is intelligently reallocated, it could be good news, but IMO the Sox are slightly worse today than they were this time yesterday. 

I’d be on the Tommy Pham train for right-handed hitting 4th OF but he seems like a d-bag. Maybe Pillar at like $1 mill?

7 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I wonder if this was a handshake agreement and why they played him throughout the end of the season.  If he was benched or released the last month of the season for Engel wouldn't he have lost a few million? 

No. The incentive was on the option year, not the buyout.

If he had stopped at 200 plate appearances, his contract option would have been $11 million, his buyout would have been $5 million. He would have turned down $6 million yesterday.

Since he passed 450 plate appearances, his contract option was $13 million, but his buyout was still $5 million. He got extra money available to him by playing a lot this year, and now he had to turn down $8 million.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

He was a bust but I don't blame him if he despises the organization like most of us do. I don't despise the White Sox franchise, I despise the Reinsdorf organization and can't wait until he sells the Sox, I'm not getting any younger.

He might have said from the start he would go back west after one season.

Apparently Kevin Kiermaier has an option with the Rays likely to be turned down. He missed a lot of 2022 with an injury and hasn't been the paragon of health in recent years, but clearly he can be a defensive backup in CF as well as the other OF positions. As a part time player, he seems like a perfect fit.

https://www.si.com/mlb/rays/news/tom-brew-my-two-cents-tampa-bay-rays-outfielder-kevin-kiermaier-fresh-off-hip-surgery-says-i-will-be-back-but-will-he

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I wonder if picking up Engels deal for ~2 million because a possibility as our 4th (I don't mind him as a 4).  That would still give us an additional 6 million to spend elsewhere.

I certainly hope not. You can easily find the same level or lack thereof production out of a league minimum guy.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Apparently Kevin Kiermaier has an option with the Rays likely to be turned down. He missed a lot of 2022 with an injury and hasn't been the paragon of health in recent years, but clearly he can be a defensive backup in CF as well as the other OF positions. As a part time player, he seems like a perfect fit.

https://www.si.com/mlb/rays/news/tom-brew-my-two-cents-tampa-bay-rays-outfielder-kevin-kiermaier-fresh-off-hip-surgery-says-i-will-be-back-but-will-he

As the Rays are my second favorite team while watching just about every game I have always thought Kiermaier was the best center fielder in MLB but the guy just cant stay healthy and it's a damn shame. He would make a great 4th outfielder and I would sign him in a heartbeat if there was a guarantee that he could stayed healthy but of course there are no guarantees, so.......

3 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I certainly hope not. You can easily find the same level or lack thereof production out of a league minimum guy.

yes. Far too many recommendations to pay for depth right now. Paying $5-$10 mill for ceiling 2 WAR guys is a quick way to waste $5-$10 million.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Cubs are a likely spot I’ve heard 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah.

Hopefully it gets properly allocated to shoring up the bullpen.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I’m still struggling to understand this. Where the hell could he land with his numbers, age, splits? Who would want him?

I could absolutely see the Dodgers taking him back for a couple million next year. They have several OF openings and how much do you really believe in Trayce Thompson? They could use the depth.

It's creepy because I say this for seemingly everyone but he fits the Astros. Plays some DH, plays some LF so that Alvarez doesn't play there full time, occasionally plays CF, Tucker is in RF. Cheap, Aledmys Diaz is a free agent so they have open spots on their bench, as is Mancini, they got nothing from Diaz or Mancini in the playoffs anwyay.

In terms of competitive teams, there's a fair amount of demand for outfielders, especially as injuries hit once the year starts. One can definitely keep going on that list. 

Someone like the DBacks, if he really wanted to go to Arizona, could certainly take a guy like that and play him part time, especially if they made it clear they might trade him at the deadline. 

7 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I’m still struggling to understand this. Where the hell could he land with his numbers, age, splits? Who would want him?

Sometimes money isn't the driving force. But for fans there are two kinds of athletes. Greedy who only care about the money and not winning and stupid ones who walk away from better paying contracts.