AJ Pollock declines option, becomes FA

Sleepy Harold

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I could absolutely see the Dodgers taking him back for a couple million next year. They have several OF openings and how much do you really believe in Trayce Thompson? They could use the depth.

It's creepy because I say this for seemingly everyone but he fits the Astros. Plays some DH, plays some LF so that Alvarez doesn't play there full time, occasionally plays CF, Tucker is in RF. Cheap, Aledmys Diaz is a free agent so they have open spots on their bench, as is Mancini, they got nothing from Diaz or Mancini in the playoffs anwyay.

In terms of competitive teams, there's a fair amount of demand for outfielders, especially as injuries hit once the year starts. One can definitely keep going on that list. 

Someone like the DBacks, if he really wanted to go to Arizona, could certainly take a guy like that and play him part time, especially if they made it clear they might trade him at the deadline. 

I could see all of this if AJ weren’t 34, injured every year, negative defensive WAR for 4 straight seasons, and coming off of a season where his offensive numbers fell off a cliff. What would AJP bring in terms of value that wouldn’t be better served by a very good defensive outfielder in the minors?

2 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Just spend the additional $5M-$7M annually and sign Nimmo. 

It's not just the money, it's also the years. Nimmo's contract probably ends up around 5 years and $100-120 million. You really think JR is gonna pay that? 

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It'll probably end up closer to $120 than $100. Especially if Cohen just decides he doesn't care about the luxury tax. 

McDaniel's projection had $120 but he noted he thought it could go higher. The insider projection Heyman showed last week was like 7/$145. I would not be surprised to see that level. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

McDaniel's projection had $120 but he noted he thought it could go higher. The insider projection Heyman showed last week was like 7/$145. I would not be surprised to see that level. 

Heyman also thought Abreu would get 3 and 75. All the projections there seemed off. 

On 11/9/2022 at 10:04 AM, Balta1701 said:

No. The incentive was on the option year, not the buyout.

If he had stopped at 200 plate appearances, his contract option would have been $11 million, his buyout would have been $5 million. He would have turned down $6 million yesterday.

Since he passed 450 plate appearances, his contract option was $13 million, but his buyout was still $5 million. He got extra money available to him by playing a lot this year, and now he had to turn down $8 million.

So if he was benched he would get $11M not $13M next year so the White Sox potentially cost themselves $2M by playing him on a regular basis and not bringing up Coals and sitting Pollock down 4 days a week.  Then he opts out and saves the White Sox $6M-$8M.  That was what I was saying. 

4 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Just spend the additional $5M-$7M annually and sign Nimmo. 

We can watch another veteran NL player struggle his first season facing AL pitching and wearing the cursed Sox uniform. How long would it take before he would get on the IL? I think you are finding most NL free agents prefer stay in the NL.

Edited by kitekrazy

3 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

We can watch another veteran NL player struggle his first season facing AL pitching and wearing the cursed Sox uniform. How long would it take before he would get on the IL? I think you are finding most NL free agents prefer stay in the NL.

I guess the Sox should stop signing LH sluggers just because Dunn and LaRoche didn’t work out too

Edited by Joshua Strong
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I guess the Sox should stop signing LH sluggers just because Dunn and LaRoche didn’t work out too

You joke but this is literally what most of the board thinks. They also banned selecting high schoolers because of Courtney Hawkins. Colson may have broke that fever at least.