If you want depth, start here

bmags

And this is before their:

"Rule 5 Eligible Prospects

Curtis Mead, Taj Bradley, Colby White, Xavier Edwards, Greg Jones, Heriberto Hernandez, Osleivis Basabe, Kameron Misner, Brett Wisely, Jose Lopez, and more...

Shortly after the 60-day IL players must be activated, the Rays will have to decide which of their rule 5 prospects to protect by November 20th. Any eligible prospect who is not protected by the deadline will be available to all teams in the rule 5 draft at the winter meetings.

Curtis Mead and Taj Bradley are the two top tier prospects in this crop and will certainly be added to the roster. After those two come the hard decisions.

The team’s infield prospects is the most interesting discussion, as there doesn't appear to be room for all of Xavier Edwards, Greg Jones, and Osleivis Basabe on the roster, especially considering utility players such as Miles Mastrobuoni, Jonathan Aranda, and Vidal Brujan are already on the 40-man.

Colby White is another strong possibility to be added, as he had huge success as a reliever in the Rays system but he underwent Tommy John surgery during the 2022 season.

If you’re wondering how the Rays may approach this situation, last season’s blueprint can provide some context.

In November 2021, the Rays added five prospects to their 40-man roster before the rule 5 deadline (Jonathan Aranda, Calvin Faucher, Rene Pinto, Ford Proctor, Tommy Romero) and traded another (Tobias Myers). The Rays made a few small additional trades in November to clear space for these players as well (Mike Brosseau, Louis Head, Brent Honeywell Jr.)."

https://www.draysbay.com/2022/10/20/23413595/rays-40-man-roster-end-of-season-update

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

And this is before their:

"Rule 5 Eligible Prospects

Curtis Mead, Taj Bradley, Colby White, Xavier Edwards, Greg Jones, Heriberto Hernandez, Osleivis Basabe, Kameron Misner, Brett Wisely, Jose Lopez, and more...

Shortly after the 60-day IL players must be activated, the Rays will have to decide which of their rule 5 prospects to protect by November 20th. Any eligible prospect who is not protected by the deadline will be available to all teams in the rule 5 draft at the winter meetings.

Curtis Mead and Taj Bradley are the two top tier prospects in this crop and will certainly be added to the roster. After those two come the hard decisions.

The team’s infield prospects is the most interesting discussion, as there doesn't appear to be room for all of Xavier Edwards, Greg Jones, and Osleivis Basabe on the roster, especially considering utility players such as Miles Mastrobuoni, Jonathan Aranda, and Vidal Brujan are already on the 40-man.

Colby White is another strong possibility to be added, as he had huge success as a reliever in the Rays system but he underwent Tommy John surgery during the 2022 season.

If you’re wondering how the Rays may approach this situation, last season’s blueprint can provide some context.

In November 2021, the Rays added five prospects to their 40-man roster before the rule 5 deadline (Jonathan Aranda, Calvin Faucher, Rene Pinto, Ford Proctor, Tommy Romero) and traded another (Tobias Myers). The Rays made a few small additional trades in November to clear space for these players as well (Mike Brosseau, Louis Head, Brent Honeywell Jr.)."

https://www.draysbay.com/2022/10/20/23413595/rays-40-man-roster-end-of-season-update

I'd love to trade for Brujan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Lefty outfielder from Mizzou?

You know @Lillian and I are on board. Looks like he's got got some pop, speed and .OBP skills - the only shitty part is a high strikeout rate.

I think he's unlikely to be a major leaguer this year, but power + lefty + still good defense. Put up good numbers last year. I thought he'd be washed out in single a so I was pretty impressed where he was at.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Try to claim anyone that gets waived, ha.

probably require trades for younger guys that don't need 40 protection.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think he's unlikely to be a major leaguer this year, but power + lefty + still good defense. Put up good numbers last year. I thought he'd be washed out in single a so I was pretty impressed where he was at.

probably require trades for younger guys that don't need 40 protection.

The Sox have an abundance of players that won't need 40 man protection.  Ever. 

7 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Rasmussen is good, but if tampa thought Adames was going to be a 5 WAR infielder immediately they wouldn't have traded him for a 27 year old reliever, I'm pretty confident in saying that.

They have overflow of talent, and sometimes players blossom. It's a good place to pick up depth for a team like the sox who do not have 40 man crunches.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

Rasmussen is good, but if tampa thought Adames was going to be a 5 WAR infielder immediately they wouldn't have traded him for a 27 year old reliever, I'm pretty confident in saying that.

They have overflow of talent, and sometimes players blossom. It's a good place to pick up depth for a team like the sox who do not have 40 man crunches.

Not disagreeing, but it's a 2-way street.

Also keep in mind that Milwaukee isn't known for its ineptitude either. I see that trade as a swapping between peer organizations... or at least way more so than if the Sox went after anyone from Tampa.

31 minutes ago, zisk said:

Exactly. Could you even imagine the Sox having this problem? LOL

While sox track record isn't good, let's remember the Rays get an extra top 50 pick every year and an additional 1.5 million in international spending than what sox are allowed. They make the most of that money, but it's a big reason why teams like them, cleveland end up in crunches like this every year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

While sox track record isn't good, let's remember the Rays get an extra top 50 pick every year and an additional 1.5 million in international spending than what sox are allowed. They make the most of that money, but it's a big reason why teams like them, cleveland end up in crunches like this every year.

And why pundits are always like "can you believe [insert org here] was able to grab two first round quality picks!?"

Yes, because they essentially have two first rounders.

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Rays are looking to trade pitching to protect some of the rule 5 guys particularly Ryan Yarbrough, Yonny Chirinos and from the BP Shawn Armstrong. Choi is probably available too according to Morosi.

I saw that on MLBN earlier. They also just cleared a 40-man spot by declining Kiermaier's option.

• Like 1

It's an attitude that is cliche atthis point but still can't help but say that I think last year Rick came face to face with the realization that he is not only not as good at this as he thought, but that he's incapable of it. This year is them just retreating into the fetal position as everyone waits for everyone else in the org to end it or voluntarily leave.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

It's an attitude that is cliche atthis point but still can't help but say that I think last year Rick came face to face with the realization that he is not only not as good at this as he thought, but that he's incapable of it. This year is them just retreating into the fetal position as everyone waits for everyone else in the org to end it or voluntarily leave.

We’re stuck in limbo until Jerry dies or sells the team.