Abreu return? Zero percent chance

Vote4Pedro

23 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Hopefully he signs with a team the Sox play in April and May but then not after that.

I’d say Houston plays them to open the season but “the White Sox don’t have to play Houston in October” pretty well tells you how the season ended.

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

at least it clears 1B and DH up for younger players.

Saddens me to read that line. In a matchup between Jose, Sheets, Eloy and Vaughn I take Jose entering his age 36  season every time. I thought Sox were in a window of trying to win it all. Are the Sox quietly rebuilding again? Any fan that bought the rebuild talk should be furious Jose is leaving. We were supposed to win it all next season. You don't win it all by getting rid of your best player. Geez.

In what world was Jose not on the projected roster of the Sox next title team? If the Sox tanked all those seasons for nothing, shame on them.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Saddens me to read that line. In a matchup between Jose, Sheets, Eloy and Vaughn I take Jose entering his age 36  season every time. I thought Sox were in a window of trying to win it all. Are the Sox quietly rebuilding again? Any fan that bought the rebuild talk should be furious Jose is leaving. We were supposed to win it all next season. You don't win it all by getting rid of your best player. Geez.

In what world was Jose not on the projected roster of the Sox next title team? If the Sox tanked all those seasons for nothing, shame on them.

Well you only need to look across the division to Cleveland to see how quickly a "non contending" year can turn into a contending year. I'm not going to write the Sox off in 2023 and neither should anybody else. That said, there is work to be done on the roster to improve our chances. Getting our young guys into more suitable positions defensively and letting them focus on health and their offense is part of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

If Vaughn plays 1B every day, which he should be, and gets consistent ABs, he's going to be a very good hitter.  I love Abreu, but it certainly seems like it's Vaughn's turn, and I'm perfectly okay with that.

That being said, your last sentence hits the nail on the head.  After 2022, it's hard not to think that the tanking was for naught.  So far, with TLR gone and a competent manager in place, things are looking better.  We'll see what they do in the off season, though.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, greg775 said:

That's the problem. By this time Abreu wasn't supposed to be our best position player. Could've been Anderson, Jimenez, Moncada, Robert or Vaughn but Murphy found his way to the Sox in the form of Reinsdorf and Hahn and that Law took over.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 8:18 AM, Dick Allen said:

On the MLBN White Sox offseason preview,  Yonder said the key to the White Sox snapping back next year is Abreu coming back. Oh well.

Yonder knows as much about the White Sox as he does about hitting. Most obviously biased comment towards your countryman ever. Paid talking head with no clue.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yonder knows as much about the White Sox as he does about hitting. Most obviously biased comment towards your countryman ever. Paid talking head with no clue.

Makes sense. Pitchers don't have to worry bout Jose. They'll attack the young guys Vaughn, Sheets etc.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

The San Diego Padres or… An Alternate Universe’s Chicago White Sox, if you will.

What the White Sox could/should be but we have an owner too worried about losing money….you know what doesn’t lose you money….putting a winning ball club out there year after year 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I would be ok with Abreu going to SD.  They are a team actually trying to win and Pito deserves to go to a functional organization.

Yeah as much as I don't like the Padres for stealing everybody we try to sign or trade for, I'd much rather he go there than the Cubs, Guardians, or Astros. 

• Like 1

Just now, chw42 said:

Yeah as much as I don't like the Padres for stealing everybody we try to sign or trade for, I'd much rather he go there than the Cubs, Guardians, or Astros. 

I honestly can't even be mad at the Padres anymore.  The Sox are the authors of their own failures.

• Like 4