Abreu return? Zero percent chance

Vote4Pedro

16 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Like with Frank Thomas the situation the Sox are in really provides no option unless they move guys like Vaughn & Sheets. And because of the age factor that may not be a wise move.

Yup - I get it and have always been a huge Vaughn guy. Just a bummer the Glass House can’t play left.

The consensus appears to be  that the Sox should not offer Abreu a contract reasoning that Vaughn can be the Sox first basemen for several more years. The counterpoint to that is that Abreu might be a better rbi hitter and defensive first basemen  during the next three years. There is no right or wrong answer to that. IMO, they should sign Abreu to a short term deal and hold on to Vaughn, using him at 1B/DH and occasionally in the OF as a platoon with a LH hittimg RFer...Colas,or a free agent like Bellinger, Benintendi, etc.

Abreu has been our lead RBI guy and is just too important to the team as their leader on and off the field. Fans love the guy. He just puts his head down and plays the game the way it was meant to be played, and he shrugs off bruises and minor injuries. The Sox would not be better without him and I think there will be a lot of pressure on Vaughn to replace what PITO has done.

11 minutes ago, tray said:

The consensus appears to be  that the Sox should not offer Abreu a contract reasoning that Vaughn can be the Sox first basemen for several more years. The counterpoint to that is that Abreu might be a better rbi hitter and defensive first basemen  during the next three years. There is no right or wrong answer to that. IMO, they should sign Abreu to a short term deal and hold on to Vaughn, using him at 1B/DH and occasionally in the OF as a platoon with a LH hittimg RFer...Colas,or a free agent like Bellinger, Benintendi, etc.

Abreu has been our lead RBI guy and is just too important to the team as their leader on and off the field. Fans love the guy. He just puts his head down and plays the game the way it was meant to be played, and he shrugs off bruises and minor injuries. The Sox would not be better without him and I think there will be a lot of pressure on Vaughn to replace what PITO has done.

When the Sox are working with limited resources, I’m willing to find out if Vaughn can perform as well or better than Abreu during his ages 36-38 seasons for a fraction of the cost. If you re-sign Abreu, you’re probably dealing Hendriks and Giolito and/or Graveman as well.

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Besides him being a great teammate and hitter, I am going to miss the annual Decline of Abreu threads most of all.

I thought I was going to miss the gamethread freakouts whenever Colome came in to close a game, but then the 8th inning implosions happened.  Soxtalk always finds ways to adapt.

• Haha 1