White Sox interested in Athletics Catcher Sean Murphy

Vote4Pedro

• Vote4Pedro changed the title to White Sox interested in Athletics Catcher Sean Murphy

I'd imagine the A's would want Vaughn and Montgomery for Murphy. If you're gonna trade those 2 away you might as well get someone like Reynolds. 

I can also see this as the Sox trying to drive up the price for Cleveland. The Guardians were in on Murphy at the trade deadline last year. Cleveland may not have money, but they have a ton of prospects to trade from. 

Edited by chw42

MurphyTrade.jpg

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Kopech or Colas work in place of Crochet, Vaughn + Montgomery would be considered an overpay.

Vaughn + Colas/Crochet + Romy/Sosa also works.

Outside of Robert, Cease, and Anderson, the White Sox have no one else with enough value to make up the core of a deal considered fair here (Giolito and Hendriks have some value but not to the As, would need a 3rd team)

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

MurphyTrade.jpg

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Kopech or Colas work in place of Crochet, Vaughn + Montgomery would be considered an overpay.

Vaughn + Colas/Crochet + Romy/Sosa also works.

Outside of Robert, Cease, and Anderson, the White Sox have no one else with enough value to make up the core of a deal considered fair here (Giolito and Hendriks have some value but not to the As, would need a 3rd team)

No thanks to all of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Catcher is as big a need for this team as any other need.

The most important thing a catcher can do is provide leadership, call a good game and catch the ball and have a strong throwing arm. Catchers should never be prioritized. They are usually base cloggers who age poorly. It would be a misappropriation of funds at this time, right up their with relievers. There are plenty of catchers who do the little things well enough out there for cheap. Plus if you aren't cutting Grandal loose that's a lot of money tied up in catchers for one season.

Oakland will try to get a lot since he has 3 years left. They are testing the waters to see if they can get a haul. My guess is he doesn't get moved this off season. I'm 53/47 on it though.

• Like 1

If I'm understanding this correctly, a team that seemingly doesn't want to take on much payroll this offseason is exploring the opportunity to trade major young assets for a player who plays the same position as Grandal, a 34 year old washed FA signing costing the Sox 18 million dollars in 2023. And he bats right handed. 

Awesome. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The most important thing a catcher can do is provide leadership, call a good game and catch the ball and have a strong throwing arm. Catchers should never be prioritized. They are usually base cloggers who age poorly. It would be a misappropriation of funds at this time, right up their with relievers. There are plenty of catchers who do the little things well enough out there for cheap. Plus if you aren't cutting Grandal loose that's a lot of money tied up in catchers for one season.

Oakland will try to get a lot since he has 3 years left. They are testing the waters to see if they can get a haul. My guess is he doesn't get moved this off season. I'm 53/47 on it though.

Grandal's salary is a sunk cost, whether he's on the team or not.  And if he's on the team, whether he's the starter or a backup. You're paying the man either way. That doesn't mean you have to let the position rot like it did this past season.

Right now one of the worst players in baseball, and the worst player of the disappointing 2022 White Sox is slated to be the Sox starting catcher. They need a serious upgrade.

7 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Grandal's salary is a sunk cost, whether he's on the team or not.  And if he's on the team, whether he's the starter or a backup. You're paying the man either way. That doesn't mean you have to let the position rot like it did this past season.

Right now one of the worst players in baseball, and the worst player of the disappointing 2022 White Sox is slated to be the Sox starting catcher. They need a serious upgrade.

So it's a sunk cost but the best the Sox can do is prioritize the more pressing needs which is an OF who can play defense and bat left handed and upgrade the starting pitching. The Sox are in no position to add another RHB and throw away prospects for a catcher. Remember this is the organization who thought Zack Collins was a 1-1 pick.

Sox just have to hope Grandal stays healthy enough to share the position with Zavala while his hitting rebounds. This is pretty much the case for all their duds from last year still under contract, Moncada, Eloy and Giolito.

You're telling me you would prioritize a catcher with 3 years left, who hits RH and give up the few prospects we have when the payroll is going to be less than last year with all the holes they have to fill and bite on Oakland's demands for a King's Ransom for him ? Suggest a trade for me that gets this done that just wouldn't create another hole.

18 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Grandal's number the past two years are pretty crazy:

2021:  375 PA, 158 wRC+

2022:  376 PA, 68 wRC+

Seems impossible to fall off a click that badly unless injuries are a significant factor.  So the question becomes whether those injuries are lingering/permanent now.  None of us know the answer to that question.

• Like 1