White Sox interested in Athletics Catcher Sean Murphy

Vote4Pedro

Yay is here one more year. Yes he sucked in 2022; but it makes no sense to waive him now. See what he looks like in the spring. He is working hard right now. I don’t know if Murphy is the answer given the Cost, but the Sox could use a catcher. I say trade Seby if you can. It would be trading high. He hit, does anyone really expect that to continue. I say get a guy like Barnhart who will be pretty cheap, and does everything well but hit and run. He wouldn’t kill you if he had to start 85 times. See where Yaz is at in AZ. If he still has some gas, fine, if not, waive him then.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I wish this had a chance to be true.  I'm down for any scenario that kicks Grandals bum ass to the curb.

Grandal is our backup catcher and should never see DH at bats.  LaRussa over used Grandal and Garcia making them both look more pathetic than they are.

• Like 1

Given the team's propensity to not openly discuss injuries I'm willing to accept there was something wrong this past season. 

Given the team's propensity to not talk openly about injuries and the curse of the franchise, I'm willing to accept that it is permanent. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So it's a sunk cost but the best the Sox can do is prioritize the more pressing needs which is an OF who can play defense and bat left handed and upgrade the starting pitching. The Sox are in no position to add another RHB and throw away prospects for a catcher. Remember this is the organization who thought Zack Collins was a 1-1 pick.

Sox just have to hope Grandal stays healthy enough to share the position with Zavala while his hitting rebounds. This is pretty much the case for all their duds from last year still under contract, Moncada, Eloy and Giolito.

You're telling me you would prioritize a catcher with 3 years left, who hits RH and give up the few prospects we have when the payroll is going to be less than last year with all the holes they have to fill and bite on Oakland's demands for a King's Ransom for him ? Suggest a trade for me that gets this done that just wouldn't create another hole.

I actually don't want the Sox to trade for Miller - as the cost wouldn't be compatible with where this team is at right now.

I said they need a serious upgrade at catcher, and I dispute you labeling catcher as a non important position. I know one team that is rooting hard for Grandal to stay our starting catcher  - the Cleveland Guardians. They can keep running all day on the Sox, take the extra bases on all those passed balls, and as an added bonus, their pitchers get a free out every time he comes through the order.

But don't be surprised if Pedro Grifol pushes the Sox for a catcher upgrade. He is a former catcher himself, and has already vowed to improve the team's defense. They say good defense starts in the middle of the field - primarily CF, SS and catching. CF is fine with Luis, but TA at shortstop and Grandal catching are not fine.

11 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Unless you're convinced Yaz is completely cooked (I know most people on here think he is), I'm not sure about that one. Especially with what it would take to acquire him.

I just forever think getting a great player does more than balance. Mainly because I think the internal players that could fill some of these holes are underrated by even our f.o.

Looking back at ‘21, amazing how much burger/sheets buoyed those teams.

When the right player comes, I’m all about getting them. But the real solutions were going back in time and trading for trea turner, sign Harper, etc.

None of these guys do it for me.

Sox won’t get Murphy, and it’s not ideal, but better to me than pining for kolton Wong or some s%*#.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

MurphyTrade.jpg

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Kopech or Colas work in place of Crochet, Vaughn + Montgomery would be considered an overpay.

Vaughn + Colas/Crochet + Romy/Sosa also works.

Outside of Robert, Cease, and Anderson, the White Sox have no one else with enough value to make up the core of a deal considered fair here (Giolito and Hendriks have some value but not to the As, would need a 3rd team)

Can we please stop using BBTV as gospel?  It’s a fun little tool, but their player valuations are very hit or miss.  For example, Kopech is worth considerably more than how they value him.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 3

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Can we please stop using BBTV as gospel?  It’s a fun little tool, but their player valuations are very hit or miss.  For example, Kopech is worth considerably more than how they value him.

Amen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

This seems like such a terrible idea.  He doesn’t provide difference-making offense.   

I’ve pretty much landed in the boat that spending big money on a catcher is one of the worst things a team can do with limited resources.  

Should've kept Narvaez. Much cheaper. Left-handed. While not an offensve machine still a better hitter than Grandal. Better leader. Became better on defense. Grandal has to be one of the worst defensive catchers out there. Omar gets injured but still a better option than Grandal. Again much cheaper. And younger.

Edited by ScooterMcGuire
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

This seems like such a terrible idea.  He doesn’t provide difference-making offense.   

I’ve pretty much landed in the boat that spending big money on a catcher is one of the worst things a team can do with limited resources.  

They’re gonna attach Grandal to Vaughn and send them both out. Add Murphy and they resign Abreu.

Frees up some cash for signing at other spots.

Thats all I can guess with a foggy headed no coffee morning brain.

13 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Should've kept Narvaez. Much cheaper. Left-handed. While not an offensve machine still a better hitter than Grandal. Better leader. Became better on defense. Grandal has to be one of the worst defensive catchers out there. Omar gets injured but still a better option than Grandal. Again much cheaper. And younger.

Good news Omar is a FA!!!

• Love 1

Since 2015 Yaz is 21st in WAR in all of baseball and 2nd among Catchers.  As recently as 2021 he was the 5th most valuable Catcher in the league (ahead of Murphy).  He just turned 34 years old not 38.  Eliminating the shift can only help him.  If you are comfortable praying for a bounce-back from a number of Sox players, not sure why Yaz wouldn't also qualify?

I understand that when 3 true outcome hitters are going bad... it looks extremely bad, but I think of all the spots to mortgage the farm for, it isn't behind the plate.  Even a mild return to form from Grandal and the Sox are at least league average at the position.  Hahn would have to be particularly bullish on Murphy compared to the norm and even then I don't think it makes sense.  

A swap with the A's for Laureano makes some sense, so maybe Bruce got a nugget of info, looked at the roster and rolled the rumor dice on the only star player left on the A's?  

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Someone's gotta tell me the appeal here because I don't get it

Your current catcher cannot play on a major league roster and is making 18 million a year. Murphy is a young upcoming catcher. Pretty simple, but since the Sox are already linked to him a deal for him won’t happen 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Your current catcher cannot play on a major league roster and is making 18 million a year. Murphy is a young upcoming catcher. Pretty simple, but since the Sox are already linked to him a deal for him won’t happen 

The good news is that Twitter still exists so Rick Hahn can once again use that as an excuse for why a deal didn’t happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

You are assuming he can’t play on a major league roster based on last year. 

If we are willing to give up major assets to help the team, I’d rather give up those assets for a different position. 

That doesn’t mean I would hate a Murphy trade, but I would need to see all the corresponding moves before fully getting on board. 

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You are assuming he can’t play on a major league roster based on last year. 

If we are willing to give up major assets to help the team, I’d rather give up those assets for a different position. 

That doesn’t mean I would hate a Murphy trade, but I would need to see all the corresponding moves before fully getting on board. 

What have you seen from him to show he would magically break out of that slump? Having a catcher who can’t catch and now can’t hit doesn’t seem worth guaranteeing a starting position on a “championship contender” if he wasn’t making as much as he is he would have been DFA’d this off-season/end of last year. Was literally unplayable and he’s only a year older. Having a younger catcher who can handle a pitching staff and has a decent bat isn’t easy to come by. Depending on the cost I would be fully onboard 

• Like 1