White Sox interested in Athletics Catcher Sean Murphy

Vote4Pedro

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

If they weren’t crying poor all off-season, I would love to see them dump Yaz and find a decent replacement.  Sadly that’s not the reality we are living in.  As much as I loathe Grandal, Catcher is not an area they should address with their very limited resources. 

Yeah. It’s not really a great hitting position as is. Better off seeing if the off-season was good for him and rolling with Seby/Perez/depth signing. You can cut Grandal if he still looks toast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Springfield Soxfan said:

Our new manager is supposedly a “catcher whisperer” and is surely pushing for a defensive upgrade.  Keeping Zavala over McGuire was not a good move. 

Are you serious or are you just jerking us off here?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, bmags said:

Carlos Perez had a great night in winter ball.

Future all star

Isn't it unusual that there's nothing in Future Sox about our guys in Winter Ball ? Where are you getting game results from ?

Just from your post I can see Perez already played 32 games with Margarita in the VEWL.

Not sure that Venezuelan Winter League even has a AAA talent level but he is doing fairly well. But he is playing against older competition . Probably seeing some Venezuelan crafty vets.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The A’s apparently want major leaguers for Murphy.  That does open up the possibility of a Vaughn led package and a Eloy/Grandal/Sheets/Burger DH/1B monstrosity 😳

I saw this and I feel like something is lost in translation. If he's moved I very much doubt it's driven by mlb talent unless it's a guy that still has all 6 years.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:28 PM, chw42 said:

I'd imagine the A's would want Vaughn and Montgomery for Murphy. If you're gonna trade those 2 away you might as well get someone like Reynolds. 

I can also see this as the Sox trying to drive up the price for Cleveland. The Guardians were in on Murphy at the trade deadline last year. Cleveland may not have money, but they have a ton of prospects to trade from. 

the Cards engaged for Murphy, but the asking price was so high, they settled for Contreras, A's want MLB ready players so I imagine Vaughn would have to be a part of any Sox deal, probably a starting pitcher as well, probably Kopech

Murphy is why I'm good with the D-only catcher approach.  The premium that you have to pay for offense that, on it's own (not relative to position) isn't particularly good, is immense.   And I know that he's a great defensive catcher - but the price is inflated because of the O.
C is the place for a hole on offense; 
And RF, a position where hitters with Murphy's numbers abound (with one notable exception), isn't the place.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I'll also point out that Zeby was pretty darn good last year; now it's no cinch that he repeats it it.  He also takes his walks and his fangraphs defensive numbers were solid.  He is an overlooked bright-spot in a dismal year.

Seby had a .404 BABIP last year and his expected numbers were 40 points lower than his actual numbers. I think he'd be fine as a part time catcher, but I wouldn't expect him to hit as well as he did last year. He also had the benefit of getting a few easy hits off position players last year. 

• Like 1

Trading for Murphy makes next to no sense IMO.  The return would be way too expensive, and we still have to figure out what to do with Grandal/Seby.  Trading AV to acquire a third catcher, leaving is with Gavin Sheets at the top of depth chart for 1B and still having no additional $ to spend seems like just an entirely awful strategy.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Trading for Murphy makes next to no sense IMO.  The return would be way too expensive, and we still have to figure out what to do with Grandal/Seby.  Trading AV to acquire a third catcher, leaving is with Gavin Sheets at the top of depth chart for 1B and still having no additional $ to spend seems like just an entirely awful strategy.  

It makes no sense

38 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Seby had a .404 BABIP last year and his expected numbers were 40 points lower than his actual numbers. I think he'd be fine as a part time catcher, but I wouldn't expect him to hit as well as he did last year. He also had the benefit of getting a few easy hits off position players last year. 

Yeah, Seby is fine as a part time guy, the problem is the corpse currently slotted in as the starter. 

On 12/6/2022 at 1:22 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

The A’s apparently want major leaguers for Murphy.  That does open up the possibility of a Vaughn led package and a Eloy/Grandal/Sheets/Burger DH/1B monstrosity 😳

How many trades with Oakland work for the Sox.  They are pretty good at fleecing this organization.

On 12/3/2022 at 9:03 AM, Tnetennba said:

If they weren’t crying poor all off-season, I would love to see them dump Yaz and find a decent replacement.  Sadly that’s not the reality we are living in.  As much as I loathe Grandal, Catcher is not an area they should address with their very limited resources. 

ANYBODY SEE WHAT THEY WANTED FROM THE CARDINALS? HARD PASS