Sox may have trade interest in Rays 2B/OF Brandon Lowe

knightni

Seen on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/soxmachine_josh/status/1591987289529671680?t=PdGb-17Wg1v9CZ_d2-LIZg&s=19

Take with a grain of salt.

Lowe had a nice 2021, but regressed in 2022.

Lefty power bat who can play 2b or LF and is 28.

Concern is he has a low batting average tendency; which, for some reason, has been made worse in the past when players join the Sox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lowe for Crochet works out pretty well value-wise. 

Lowe is under control until 2024 with 2 club options for 25 and 26. It's an incredibly team friendly contract for a guy who's been a 4 WAR player. This is probably a great time to buy low. Even if he performed at the level he did last year, he was probably still a 2.5 WAR player last season if healthy and that's well worth the $4 million he will make over the next 2 years. 

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Can you post the original tweet?

Rays do have a 40-man roster crunch and it does feel like the Sox m.o.  

If it's non-rule 5 guys the Rays are looking for, I don't think the Sox have a whole lot to offer for Lowe. Colas or Vera would make sense in those situations. 

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Lowe for Crochet works out pretty well value-wise. 

Lowe is under control until 2024 with 2 club options for 25 and 26. It's an incredibly team friendly contract for a guy who's been a 4 WAR player. This is probably a great time to buy low. Even if he performed at the level he did last year, he was probably still a 2.5 WAR player last season if healthy and that's well worth the $4 million he will make over the next 2 years. 

I'd looove to get Lowe.  No way Crochet gets you him.  Plus I imagine they want guys that don't need to be added to the 40 man.

• Like 1

Lowe's hard hit % went down last year. But his exit velocity and launch angle remained steady. It's very likely Lowe's back injury was bothering him before he went out for the season. He didn't need surgery, so that might be a good sign.

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am cool dangling Vera this offseason given his age, and lack of innings.

I see we're going back to the mid-to-late 2000s White Sox philosophy of "trade all the top prospects for silly reasons" here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

I see we're going back to the mid-to-late 2000s White Sox philosophy of "trade all the top prospects for silly reasons" here.

54 innings to his name over the last 2 seasons. He’s eventually going to require a 40-man roster spot. I think I’d make him more available than other guys, but I wouldn’t trade him just yet either. Depends I guess.

27 minutes ago, knightni said:

Seen on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/soxmachine_josh/status/1591987289529671680?t=PdGb-17Wg1v9CZ_d2-LIZg&s=19

Take with a grain of salt.

Lowe had a nice 2021, but regressed in 2022.

Lefty power bat who can play 2b or LF and is 28.

Concern is he has a low batting average tendency; which, for some reason, has been made worse in the past when players join the Sox.

This sounds like it’s mere speculation than actual interest. The Sox weren’t even mentioned by Morosi. 

Just now, maloney.adam said:

This sounds like it’s mere speculation than actual interest. The Sox weren’t even mentioned by Morosi. 

Take with grain of salt.

But it was a  Sox Machine person, Sox Machine has usually been straight about stuff.

I mean, it's not like they're hot dogs or Italian Beef or anything.

• Haha 1

Have a feeling we're going to see more than a few trades from the current roster with a return of other MLB level talent. 

I'm calling this the Carlos Lee - Scott Podsednik offseason. 

I also have little faith that Hahn will have this team better on the other side. 

• Like 1

• knightni changed the title to Sox may have trade interest in Rays 2B/OF Brandon Lowe
13 minutes ago, knightni said:

Take with grain of salt.

But it was a  Sox Machine person, Sox Machine has usually been straight about stuff.

I mean, it's not like they're hot dogs or Italian Beef or anything.

I read his tweet as "the white sox should be doing everything possible to get Brandon Lowe since the roster deadline is 11/15" not "the white sox are going to get brandon lowe by tomorrow" in that way

• Like 3