Sox may have trade interest in Rays 2B/OF Brandon Lowe

knightni

17 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Sure.

Doesn't a perceived willingness to trade those guys get offset by the fact that the Sox might have literally the worst non-40 man organizational depth out of 30 teams?  And seemingly should be reluctant to deal from that weakness?

Like at worst that has to be a wash, right? 

Just trying to temper expectations, feels like this can't be likely, even in the event the Rays trade Lowe?  

A poorly ranked system can often have gems in it, if you are able to develop them. For example, in 2015-2016 the White Sox's system was ranked terribly, however they traded away Semien (future top 3 MVP) and Tatis (Future #1 prospect) those years. Raiding the White Sox's lower levels and pieces they didn't want to put in work to develop was a successful strategy for 2 teams there.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

Is Lowe's .691 OPS to be ignored?

No. He had a back injury last year that wound him up on the 60 day IL. Can they get him healthy? Is that back injury a long term thing? Those are major questions with him.

He would cost significantly more had he stayed healthy and put up his usual .850+ OPS in 2022. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Raiding the White Sox's lower levels and pieces they didn't want to put in work to develop was a successful strategy for 2 teams there.

It wasn't even the lower levels in a lot of cases.   Semien and Bassitt (Phegley, too, in that trade) were in the majors, as was Escobar a couple of years before.  Sox, apparently, couldn't tell the difference between those guys and Yolmer.
Tatis, Devenski and Montas were lower level.
A lot of talent sent away for horsesh.... in return.  I'd prefer the Sox avoid that route.

Giving Tampa Bay open access to our young pitching, even such as it is, is scary.  

Edited by GreenSox

52 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

It wasn't even the lower levels in a lot of cases.   Semien and Bassitt (Phegley, too, in that trade) were in the majors, as was Escobar a couple of years before.  Sox, apparently, couldn't tell the difference between those guys and Yolmer.
A lot of talent sent away for horsesh.... in return.  I'd prefer the Sox avoid that route.

Giving Tampa Bay open access to our young pitching, even such as it is, is scary.  

That was included where I said "pieces the White Sox didn't wat to put the work in to develop." Semien, Bassitt, and Escobar fit that description (although I still say I understand the Escobar move more than the other ones, the White Sox were legitimately in the race that year). 

59 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The ironic part is the White Sox, not exactly known as an advanced metrics team have traded for or signed maybe the 3 most controversial players in regards to advanced stat worth in Shark, Yaz and Javier Vasquez. They have all put up WARs some years that would make anyone who watched them scratch their heads.

51 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That was included where I said "pieces the White Sox didn't wat to put the work in to develop." Semien, Bassitt, and Escobar fit that description (although I still say I understand the Escobar move more than the other ones, the White Sox were legitimately in the race that year). 

Yea I can understand making a trade, but Liriano had an ERA in excess of 5 and a WHIP >1.4 that season (and similar numbers the season prior).  But the Sox do that.  Shields wasn't having a good season, was 34 and had been a hard-used pitcher for many seasons. Sox FO was  unphased.   And both were terrible with the Sox.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I had to look up who we traded Devenski for and boy did that make me want to vomit.

Just now, Quin said:

You are unfortunately correct.

I fucking hate Brett Myers

On 7/30/2010 at 10:52 AM, Kalapse said:

BNightengale

#mlb #white sox Sox GM Kenny Williams, the king of the trade deadline, is quietly exploring possibility of acquring Brett Myers from Astros 1 minute ago via web

Man, it would really suck having such a piece of s*** on the ballclub. Can we please avoid players that I'm forced to actively root against?

On 7/30/2010 at 11:00 AM, Kalapse said:
QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
If Myers is good, nobody will say anything.

I'll be honest: I would not be able to root for him, I just can't. He's scum.

I think the Sox can put a package together. Rays love getting high quantities of very young very risky prospects with upside because they’re so good at identifying and developing them. Even the Sox have guys like that. 

But if Lowe is available (every Ray is every year, who am I kidding), I think a lot of teams would be interested in trying to buy low, meaning the price probably won’t actually be low. The fit makes sense, but I don’t know if it makes sense for the Sox to blow everything they have to spend on it. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:37 AM, knightni said:

Seen on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/soxmachine_josh/status/1591987289529671680?t=PdGb-17Wg1v9CZ_d2-LIZg&s=19

Take with a grain of salt.

Lowe had a nice 2021, but regressed in 2022.

Lefty power bat who can play 2b or LF and is 28.

Concern is he has a low batting average tendency; which, for some reason, has been made worse in the past when players join the Sox.

He regressed because he was injured with a bad back most of the year. I just read that the Rays are thinking of moving Lowe to first base which makes a ton of sense with Choi traded to the Pirates and the Rays have a quite a few options at 2B.

That said and done, would I like the Brandon Lowe on the White Sox, you're darn tootin I would.