Cody Bellinger to the Cubs

TradeTalk

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I do genuinely get why the White Sox might be willing to sell off half their team to the Dodgers.

But if they did this…aren’t they rebuilding? Two outfield rookies, 3 rookies in their top 6 pitchers, a weird infield setup where I’m not sure who is at shortstop? Is that going to compete this year?

Is this team as is going to compete?  Or with whatever bargain bin additions Hahn sells as solutions?  Let’s be real here. 

22 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They’re really nothing alike. At least Bellinger has legitimate value in the field and base paths. Dunn had none. 

Dunn was also a 4 year commitment at significant dollars back then.  Bellinger coming off a DFA wouldn’t be getting the same here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

They’re really nothing alike. At least Bellinger has legitimate value in the field and base paths. Dunn had none. 

I meant with the bat. But yes you are right in that sense. Still I would stay away

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I do genuinely get why the White Sox might be willing to sell off half their team to the Dodgers.

But if they did this…aren’t they rebuilding? Two outfield rookies, 3 rookies in their top 6 pitchers, a weird infield setup where I’m not sure who is at shortstop? Is that going to compete this year?

I suppose one can call it a rebuild but, notwithstanding the reduction to payroll (depending on who you find to replace TA), I actually feel it would improve the team in '23 and beyond. Its a big trade for both sides and I'd be shocked if the Dodgers would move Miller let alone both he and Pages, not to mention Outman. That said, I'd move TA, Gio and Hendricks in a nano-sec for that package because if they are 'half their team' (I get the figure of speech), the Sox as a whole will be awful.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If they’re not, then they shouldn’t be holding onto Cease.

I don’t disagree, but the sort of trade proposed is what I think a competent GM should be doing under the payroll constraints sent down from on high.  I don’t believe this team as is, or with anything Hahn could pull off is a real contender.  I’ve watched too much White Sox baseball to bank on another 2005 magically happening. 

• Balta1701 changed the title to Cody Bellinger is a FA, nontendered by Dodgers.
36 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Sort of morphed into an add Bellinger discussion with some rebuild talk tossed in.  The OP was so asinine it didn’t warrant actual attention 😇🤣

Y’all know what? It’s a Bellinger thread now. First post is still there if you want to comment on it but we will probably be talking about Bellinger for a while. Go to town.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Very good at getting NL players who don't perform for them.

Fans are getting to the point of considering any outsider with a pulse.  More dumpster diving.

The Dodgers have superior coaching and somehow the Sox would turn him around?

Amazing how are conditioned to a failed value system.

Over half of the games Sox scored 3 runs or less.

So  have cornered the market on stud LH NLers. 

Edited by pcq

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man it is astounding to realize that bellinger would have led our team in HRs last year off his bad year. I do think given the LH batter issue we kinda need to take shots like this

But for how much? He should have plenty of interest from non-competing teams that could add him in hope of catching fire and flipping him mid-season.

8 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t know what the big deal is  about being a good base runner if you don’t get on base.

Bringing a lot of defensive value with some base running value gives Bellinger a decent floor even if the slash line is ugly. Even with the terrible OBP, he was still a 1.7 WAR player last year.

• Balta1701 changed the title to Cody Bellinger to the Cubs