Cody Bellinger to the Cubs

TradeTalk

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

There is perhaps 1 player in baseball where Soler would be an OF upgrade compared to him - Andrew Vaughn. 

Soler is awful out there. He is, on average, worse than Eloy. 

I seem to recall him being pretty brutal out there too.  Not exactly what I’d call a solution, but if we are swapping bad contracts, I wouldn’t hate it. 

Or getting a young pitcher to replace Giolito. They're chalk full of those. Not sure how desperate they are to get rid of money v. return on their pitchers. Avi Garcia is also out there on a bad contract. Both are not ideal, just thinking there's a match to be made between the parties if they want to look that direction. 

17 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Or getting a young pitcher to replace Giolito. They're chock full of those. Not sure how desperate they are to get rid of money v. return on their pitchers. Avi Garcia is also out there on a bad contract. Both are not ideal, just thinking there's a match to be made between the parties if they want to look that direction. 

The White Sox are in no real Position to take back a bad contract without dumping one of theirs. 

On 11/21/2022 at 2:36 PM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

All true, but they cannot go into next season with him as the 1A plan in the minors if/when someone goes down. Make him earn the call up.

Sox needing two lefties will not have room for Cespedes unless Louie gets a hang nail. 

10 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

yeah, that is absurd. not interested at anything over 14 mil at absolute most. 

$14M is absurd too for the White Sox. The Sox need a starting pitcher more than anything. They have young infielders ready to step in at 2nd base. Now they need dynamic MLB ready OFs so Eloy can be a fixture at DH, Grandal can catch, Vaughn can play 1st. Sheets , Burger, Yolbert, Cespedes to name a few can be traded.

I've been mentioning guys far more advanced as hitters than Yoelki and just as good defensively. If people here aren't even sure Colas is ready why would anyone entertain Cespedes . It was truly amazing what Colas did last year if you take into account how little competitive baseball he's played in the last 2 years and culture hopped from Cuba to Japan and then the States. Outman and Garrett both hit well to very well in their small MLB chances and what they both did at AAA would put Cespedes to shame and far behind both Garrett and Outman as well as Colas. If you throw Aquino in the mix he'd be behind him too. This is called depth defensively with all of them with just as much if not more pop than Sheets .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

$14M is absurd too for the White Sox. The Sox need a starting pitcher more than anything. They have young infielders ready to step in at 2nd base. Now they need dynamic MLB ready OFs so Eloy can be a fixture at DH, Grandal can catch, Vaughn can play 1st. Sheets , Burger, Yolbert, Cespedes to name a few can be traded.

I've been mentioning guys far more advanced as hitters than Yoelki and just as good defensively. If people here aren't even sure Colas is ready why would anyone entertain Cespedes . It was truly amazing what Colas did last year if you take into account how little competitive baseball he's played in the last 2 years and culture hopped from Cuba to Japan and then the States. Outman and Garrett both hit well to very well in their small MLB chances and what they both did at AAA would put Cespedes to shame and far behind both Garrett and Outman as well as Colas. If you throw Aquino in the mix he'd be behind him too. This is called depth defensively with all of them with just as much if not more pop than Sheets .

I disagree and think we need a LH OF the most so that Eloy can move to primary DH and we can add some balance.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox are in no real Position to take back a bad contract without dumping one of theirs. 

The White Sox are 100% in position to take back a bad contract. 

The White Sox are 100% never going to take back a bad contract without sending one of their own back. 

Both are true statements. 

In a wishful mind (not realistic) this would be the last year to push the pedal down. It completely makes sense to press here knowing the contracts that are coming off at the end of the year. However, absent doing the right thing, the only other path is actually systematically dismantling the team to where you can convince the fan base they still care/competitive. Aka, the Brewers trading Hader and Renfroe. Aka, us trading Hendriks and Giolito. If you're not pressing, you better be trading your assets with a year left on their contract to get some level of talent back. You absolutely cannot just sit around and be caught flat footed and get nothing in return for your assets if you're not going to pay your assets when the time is due. 

Unfortunately, this path sucks because the FO didn't properly stagger, draft,  and develop a deep enough talent base like the Rays or Cardinals do to withstand trading away MLB talent/shuffle contracts. Currently the Brewers are playing this game, and have some OF talent and a deep enough bullpen that they're hoping to be successful in their first turn over. The Sox won't be so successful in my opinion. 

In order to properly do this game (the way Jerry wants to) you need to kind of do what Cohen is doing (not to that extreme) and spend to buy time to develop a deep enough bench in the minors where you can supplement and trade from the MLB roster where a guy isn't re-signable. At current we have ... no real SP depth, minimal to unproven OF depth, minimal position player depth. 

Andrew Vaughn and possibly Colson Montgomery are examples of (hopefully) successful examples. Outside of that? Just terrible, terrible FO job again. 

• Thanks 1

• Balta1701 changed the title to Cody Bellinger to the Cubs

I have a Cubs fan friend who's so annoying about this. I count 4 more positions they need to upgrade (ok, I'll say 3 since Catcher isn't really a good hitting position), could use another starter or two and a bullpen and he thinks they are currently a playoff contender.

Edit: well, I guess if the Brewers are throwing in the towel and Cardinals have some key injuries maybe.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I have a Cubs fan friend who's so annoying about this. I count 4 more positions they need to upgrade (ok, I'll say 3 since Catcher isn't really a good hitting position), could use another starter or two and a bullpen.

They will get a top SS, a righty hitting 1B and a number 2 SP in the next few weeks.  Wouldn’t shock me if they get a good catcher as well.

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I have a Cubs fan friend who's so annoying about this. I count 4 more positions they need to upgrade (ok, I'll say 3 since Catcher isn't really a good hitting position), could use another starter or two and a bullpen and he thinks they are currently a playoff contender.

LOL, what?   Because they signed a .650 OPS strikeout machine? 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They will get a top SS, a righty hitting 1B and a number 2 SP in the next few weeks.  Wouldn’t shock me if they get a good catcher as well.

What SP2 do you think they are getting?  I’ve heard very differently on what their plan is to spend.  One of the big four SS, a CF like Bellinger, and a mid rotation SP like Taillon and I actually have a really good source on this.

Just now, HOFHurt35 said:

LOL, what?   Because they signed a .650 OPS strikeout machine? 

I know. He's delusional. I just said it make sense for a team in a position like the Cubs to hope he has a good first half and to flip him. He responds with "or the Cubs are in a playoff race since this isn't the only move they are making."

Their 2 top pitchers are more like mid-rotation guys at best now.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

What SP2 do you think they are getting?  I’ve heard very differently on what their plan is to spend.  One of the big four SS, a CF like Bellinger, and a mid rotation SP like Taillon and I actually have a really good source on this.

Yep Taillon or Senga (I saw you said they might not like him as much)

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I know. He's delusional. I just said it make sense for a team in a position like the Cubs to hope he has a good first half and to flip him. He responds with "or the Cubs are in a playoff race since this isn't the only move they are making."

Their 2 top pitchers are more like mid-rotation guys at best now.

They'd need Bellinger to get back to MVP form if they want a shot at the playoffs.