Anyone Deer hunt here?

The Grinder

• 2 weeks later...

It's too crazy expensive in Texas. Guys think I'm lying when I tell them a friendly farmer in Illinois  just give permission in exchange for some meat. Plus up north the deer have been eating free corn all fall. 

Here it's $3,000+  for a decent lease plus buying and hauling corn and filling feeders. My daughter and son in law fill my freezer from their deer lease when I ask. 

On 11/27/2022 at 7:28 PM, Texsox said:

It's too crazy expensive in Texas. Guys think I'm lying when I tell them a friendly farmer in Illinois  just give permission in exchange for some meat. Plus up north the deer have been eating free corn all fall. 

Here it's $3,000+  for a decent lease plus buying and hauling corn and filling feeders. My daughter and son in law fill my freezer from their deer lease when I ask. 

This is the last weekend for deer in Illinois w shotgun, so the heats on! 

Yes its expensive, add the meat processing and it goes even higher. Fishing seems cheaper :)

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

This is the last weekend for deer in Illinois w shotgun, so the heats on! 

Yes its expensive, add the meat processing and it goes even higher. Fishing seems cheaper :)

I fished a lot of tournaments in the 80s. That is also expensive. 

Haven't hunted in over a decade.

I loved hunting with my dad, but since he passed and most of the people that I hunted with have either passed or moved away, it just doesn't have the same draw anymore.

However, I am still willing to eat any jerky made from it. My dad used to have a coworker from Sierra Leone that he'd gift a deer to, and we'd get habanero jerky as some of the thanks for it.....that stuff was f'n delicious.

19 hours ago, Heads22 said:

Haven't hunted in over a decade.

I loved hunting with my dad, but since he passed and most of the people that I hunted with have either passed or moved away, it just doesn't have the same draw anymore.

However, I am still willing to eat any jerky made from it. My dad used to have a coworker from Sierra Leone that he'd gift a deer to, and we'd get habanero jerky as some of the thanks for it.....that stuff was f'n delicious.

My Dad and I did the male bonding thing and made it a tradition to go out hunting small game on T day morning, considering I was usually nursing a hangover, prob not the best idea....