Moncada and Robert could be on Cuban WBC team

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Definitely scary for Luis

But if Yoan is playing baseball instead of making music videos or whatever he usually does in the off-season I can’t see it as a bad thing 

Yeah I actually think Yoan could benefit from extra ABs before the season. Luis needs to be bubble wrapped. 

• Like 1

Isn't most of the WBC played during the normal spring training season anyway? Do they really get that much more playing time than they would playing meaningless games for the Sox? Players get hurt in spring training in normal seasons. Bet Robin Ventura would rather have been playing a WBC game somewhere when he wrecked his ankle playing for the Sox in Sarasota, or Eloy jumping the wall at Glendale.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Isn't most of the WBC played during the normal spring training season anyway? Do they really get that much more playing time than they would playing meaningless games for the Sox? Players get hurt in spring training in normal seasons. Bet Robin Ventura would rather have been playing a WBC game somewhere when he wrecked his ankle playing for the Sox in Sarasota, or Eloy jumping the wall at Glendale.

And both of these are preferable to getting injured like Chris Sale or Tatis Jr.

27 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I do think the injury worry is real. You have guys who are trying to jump into game level intensity early, without a full spring training, they are interrupting their physical training routine in the process which can matter for getting prepped for the season, and finally game effort is always more likely to cause an injury.

For a contrast to what you just said, a big reason people were frustrated with Eloy was that he didn’t need to try to go over the wall during a spring training game, but people would understand Robert trying to do that during a WBC game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I do think the injury worry is real. You have guys who are trying to jump into game level intensity early, without a full spring training, they are interrupting their physical training routine in the process which can matter for getting prepped for the season, and finally game effort is always more likely to cause an injury.

For a contrast to what you just said, a big reason people were frustrated with Eloy was that he didn’t need to try to go over the wall during a spring training game, but people would understand Robert trying to do that during a WBC game.

Valid points. Personally I've never cared for the WBC. These guys need as much time off as possible to heal and be supervised by the Sox staffs for the first time since the pandemic. I don't know what leverage the Sox have in this but if they do I hope they say, "no."  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No worries about Yo's intensity. He will have his game grimace working by then. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Can Robert swing the bat with more than one hand? Does Moncada still have sore legs and paper hammies? If I’m the Sox I say hell no to this but they will allow it because I’m sure it is important for the players 

People like to crap on Moncada but since his first full season in '18 with the Sox he played 149 of 162, 132 of 162, 52 of 60, 144 of 162, and 104 of 162. Whether or not he is fully healthy, the guy still plays most of the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m in the minority, but at this point I’m almost more interested in the wbc than the MLB. Nothing intentional or penal like Ron or anything, I just think the sox have so consistently done things that make me feel negative for so many years in a row now, my lizard brain is just finally deciding to try to move on.

I’m also a little drunk right now so I might regret saying this. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Can Robert swing the bat with more than one hand? Does Moncada still have sore legs and paper hammies? If I’m the Sox I say hell no to this but they will allow it because I’m sure it is important for the players 

If these two golden boys play with more energy for Cuba than Los White Sox we will know something is up. 

On 11/18/2022 at 6:25 PM, CBJ03 said:

People like to crap on Moncada but since his first full season in '18 with the Sox he played 149 of 162, 132 of 162, 52 of 60, 144 of 162, and 104 of 162. Whether or not he is fully healthy, the guy still plays most of the time. 

That’s cool but for whatever reasons he’s just not as good as he was touted to be.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Fire 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:50 AM, pcq said:

If these two golden boys play with more energy for Cuba than Los White Sox we will know something is up. 

What exactly will we know?  What ‘something is up’ will we know?  What exactly are you saying?  What bigotry are you actually trying to couch here?