Players non-tendered on 11/18 - Sox nontender Engel, Mendick, Payton

CentralChamps21

19 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Bummer has an option left but that'll never happen. Lambert is the only guy, in a pen right now that looks full, that has options remaining.

Which is mainly the reason why the Mets picked up the 2 DFA guys from the Marlins. . From MLBTR:

Both Hernandez and Brigham have a minor league option year remaining — two, in Brigham’s case — and therefore shouldn’t be seen as locks to occupy a spot on next year’s Opening Day staff for the Mets. That said, Hernandez has four-plus year of MLB experience and Brigham has three, so they’re a bit more seasoned than the garden-variety DFA pickup.

.Hahn still napping. BP needs guys with options. OF /team needs defense, power and depth and its out there with Garrett and Aquino. Wake up Ricky !

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

The Mendick non-tender is not surprising.  I also would have non-tendered.  I'd try to bring him back on a minors deal but his histroy + injury + our middle infield close to majors depth (Sosa, Yogurt, Rodriguez, Romy) make him expendable.

His ACL tear was on June 23.  Assuming about a year of rehab to get back, that is half of the season we would be paying him to take up a roster spot, especially over the winter.  I would love to have him back and see if his breakout was for real, but he isn't worth playing a man short on the roster half of the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

His ACL tear was on June 23.  Assuming about a year of rehab to get back, that is half of the season we would be paying him to take up a roster spot, especially over the winter.  I would love to have him back and see if his breakout was for real, but he isn't worth playing a man short on the roster half of the season.

Yeah I think it's worth bringing in him back on a minor league deal. It seems like at least a handful of teams do this every off-season. That way they won't have to carry him on the 40-man roster all off-season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

for sure

And let's be honest, if we are going to root through other teams trash to put together our roster next year, I would much rather target someone like Alex Reyes, seeing as we have a guy who seems to improve the pitchers on his staff, versus who knows how we handle some of these other position players.  I go cheap where I trust my staff most, not least.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And let's be honest, if we are going to root through other teams trash to put together our roster next year, I would much rather target someone like Alex Reyes, seeing as we have a guy who seems to improve the pitchers on his staff, versus who knows how we handle some of these other position players.  I go cheap where I trust my staff most, not least.

I'd be a really big fan of a Reyes signing.