22 World Cup Thread

Chisoxfn

18 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Really, really stupid foul in the box gave away a penalty.

Zimmerman has been solid for a while for the national team, but that was just such a dumb foul. The MLS players all played like s%*# today. 

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Pathetic 2nd half. Why pilisic was left in when he played like crap so long is just mind boggling. 

He was missing open guys on runs. His corners all sucked. Crosses were all off. If he was hurt, I'm not sure why they had to play him for the full game. 

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

We needed a win against Wales, it's going to be hard now to advance out of the group, need at least a tie against England to have a chance.

It might come down to how Wales or the US do against Iran. 

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Well my World Cup excitement lasted about as long as the Qatar fans did.

They can still make it out of groups, but this current team isn't good enough to really do much more than that. They're young, inexperienced, and Berhalter is not a good coach. There's talent there though. Hopefully we get a real coach after this World Cup. We're also gonna need Reyna to stay healthy and keep developing. He's our best shot to have a team that can go far in 2026. 

Edited by chw42

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

We needed a win against Wales, it's going to be hard now to advance out of the group, need at least a tie against England to have a chance.

If they get points against England they are in a great spot. Reality is it is likely going to come down to the tiebreaker between us and wales which I presume means whomever beats Iran by more. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

They can still make it out of groups, but this current team isn't good enough to really do much more than that. They're young, inexperienced, and Berhalter is not a good coach. There's talent there though. Hopefully we get a real coach after this World Cup. We're also gonna need Reyna to stay healthy and keep developing. He's our best shot to have a team that can go far in 2026. 

You are right - they have real talent and should be becoming at next cycle but they also got to get some experience here and at least getting out of group and giving it a fighting chance in 2nd round should be doable. 

That was an awful 2nd half after dominating the whole first half with nothing to show. 

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

You are right - they have real talent and should be becoming at next cycle but they also got to get some experience here and at least getting out of group and giving it a fighting chance in 2nd round should be doable. 

That was an awful 2nd half after dominating the whole first half with nothing to show. 

Wales had an absolutely terrible strategy coming into this game. It looked like they were scared and playing for a tie like the US are a far superior team. We're really not...and when they decided to not park the bus after we scored the first goal, they looked every bit as good as we did, if not better. The build up play was actually solid today, even in that crap 2nd half, we just didn't know what to do once we got near the box. This is where lacking a true solid #9 really hurts this team. You got guys with pace who can drive the ball deep into the other team's half on the wings, but once they cross, there's nobody really there to hold up the ball or head it in. I don't think we threatened the keeper even though we had nearly 10 chances with the ball in the box in that 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

They tied England so now beat Iran and they're in. They control their own destiny. 

Yes, but they're playing against a team who only needs a draw to advance. Those can be hard teams to score against. Would have been a lot easier if Iran and Wales had tied today.

Edited by CentralChamps21

8 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Yes, but they're playing against a team who only needs a draw to advance. Those can be hard teams to score against. Would have been a lot easier if Iran and Wales had tied today.

It's Iran.. the US has plenty of reasons to get up to play that country (then again, so does Iran). :lol:

I'll make a prediction that I highly doubt this game ends up tied. One of these teams will beat the other. No question in my mind.

Edited by SoxAce

3 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

It isn’t going to be easy - but build on the England game and let’s get 3 points on Tuesday!!! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I was looking at the table again and if Wales beats England, then Iran needs a win to advance, so they may not be parking the bus unless England gets out to an early lead.

Yeah, that's the good thing about both games starting at the same time.