23 HOF ballot announced

southsider2k5

Beltran’s jump next year will be interesting.

I’d like to see Beltran, Beltre, Wagner, and Helton to get in next year. Maybe Mauer the following year on his second ballot with Jones, Ichiro, and Sabathia. They need a good cluster of guys getting in the next couple years.

2 hours ago, flavum said:

Beltran’s jump next year will be interesting.

I’d like to see Beltran, Beltre, Wagner, and Helton to get in next year. Maybe Mauer the following year on his second ballot with Jones, Ichiro, and Sabathia. They need a good cluster of guys getting in the next couple years.

Beltran should be in. Weird enough Carlos Delgado fell off the ballott

24 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

Wagner I agree. Jones was great with the Braves. Wish he wouldnt have gotten hurt. 

Jones has 67 career fWAR and Rolen has 69. 

Almost everyone who has that many WAR eventually gets into the Hall unless there's something like steroids in the way. Rolen has 70 baseball-reference WAR and I believe coming into this year he was the only eligible non-steroid player with 70 career WAR who wasn't yet in the Hall. 

40 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jones has 67 career fWAR and Rolen has 69. 

Almost everyone who has that many WAR eventually gets into the Hall unless there's something like steroids in the way. Rolen has 70 baseball-reference WAR and I believe coming into this year he was the only eligible non-steroid player with 70 career WAR who wasn't yet in the Hall. 

I had Beltran and Jones with borderline cases, but like to limit future inductees to those above the average current hall of famer at that position.

For 3B, Rolen is 10th all time in JAWS (56.9) and above the average HOF 3B in all three metrics (bWAR / bWAR7 and JAWS). 3B and C have also been the two positions underrepresented. 

For CF, Beltran is 9th (57.3 with 70.1 bWAR and 44.4 WAR7) and Jones 11th (54.6, 62.7 and 46.4), whereas the average CF HOF is 58.1 JAWS. 71.6 bWAR, 44.7 bWAR7. Wouldn't be pissed if they ultimately got in after the two dozen or so better cases, and there are definitely well over 50 current HOF players they are better than.

That said, if you keep going the slippery slope route, the BBHOF would have at least 100 more inductees and a dozen additions each subsequent year.  If Baines is the standard, make that several hundred additional inductees and a class of 40 new inductees each year.

Sidebar - Looked at Larry Doby's page / qualifications and noticed Lin Brehmer sponsored his page on Baseball Reference.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dobyla01.shtml

Sad to hear of his passing last Sunday.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

On 1/25/2023 at 7:28 PM, Balta1701 said:

Beltran not getting in on his first ballot was absolutely related to the Astros cheating scandal. 

When I used should I have said eventually. You make a really good case for andruw in your other post. I was just stating that if Jones wouldn't have gotten hurt Lord knows what his numbers might have been