FA Strategy

Texsox

While I'm kinda hoping for a big name free agent signing (once a decade) I know multiple upgrades is more efficient.

Reality is I'm expecting the usual wait until players get desperate and then sign whoever is left over for before market contacts. 

White Sox baseball, we make magic from leftovers™

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

While I'm kinda hoping for a big name free agent signing (once a decade) I know multiple upgrades is more efficient.

Reality is I'm expecting the usual wait until players get desperate and then sign whoever is left over for before market contacts. 

White Sox baseball, we make magic from leftovers

A White Sox baseball guide to free agency....you're kinda not hungry anymore but feel a little queasy.....

55 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Adam Frazier makes a lot of sense as a 2B and LF.  Could use him in a versatile role and has a LH bat and would come cheaper due to his down year

This franchise will be so much better off seeing if sosa/romy can fill this role. And even batting right handed, I bet they can come close to Frazier's 84 wRC+ last year in the AL.

Plus Romy/Sosa come with some much better power possibilities which this team desperately needs.

• Like 2

I think you're better off either signing folks at the top of the market like Judge or Correa or bargain shopping the leftovers like Cueto last year.  The real sucker's bet is the consolation prize shelf of mediocre yet cromulent-seeming players that are often priced for that "fill multiple needs" approach.  Case in point, the Wheeler signing aged way better than the Keuchel signing. Better to spend more upfront than waste it all on the back end.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmags said:

This franchise will be so much better off seeing if sosa/romy can fill this role. And even batting right handed, I bet they can come close to Frazier's 84 wRC+ last year in the AL.

Plus Romy/Sosa come with some much better power possibilities which this team desperately needs.

I guess I am more so saying if we lose out on all other LF options (Conforto, Bellinger, Benintendi), then Frazier makes sense for 80 starts in LF and 40 at 2B.  akak not set at a position.

20 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Rather than their usual patchwork, I'd prefer "let the kids play", literally.  Sosa at 2B and Colas in RF. 

Eloy to LF (unfortunately).  Burger/Sheets/Grandal at DH.

Sign Kiermaier as the #4 defensive replacement OF.  

So basically punt the 2023 season?  If so, why not sell?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So basically punt the 2023 season?  If so, why not sell?

Why is letting talented kids play punting ? I've been recommending it a lot as you know. The position player core has been a disaster. JR disaster, Hahn disaster, TLR disaster, defense disaster, power disaster, team speed and base running disaster.

You can't fix everything wrong with this team this off-season unless the core all play where they are supposed to, stay healthy and rebound from poor seasons to get at least 2 WAR out of some of them and higher from others. Need some career years from guys who haven't had career years yet like Eloy, Robert. Vaughn , Kopech. Need bouncebacks from Moncada, Grandal , Giolito and Anderson. Kelly has to be way better. Lopez may have to be a closer in order to get some money. They need playoff quality depth at starting pitching.

Why the heck do you think I've been recommending AAA OFers with high upside offensive but already good defensive skills and speed. Like it or not the Sox need to get better on the little things that mean a lot defense ,speed, youth.

Maybe you've enjoyed Hahn repeatedly doing the high mileage high cost veteran flop every trade he makes while letting young guys go. That's worked wonders hasn't it ?

Put in a old manager hired by the old owner, get old players and play guys out of position and you get a team that looks old and slow with the health of old folks.

Now all we hear are names like Gallo , Bellringer and others who best years are behind them. Wake up  !! The team needs some youthful energy. Energy has been a key word when Grifol talks about how they played last year.

First off, I was responding to HOF’s plan, where the only positional addition is an aging 4th OF and requires relying on a bunch of 1B/DH types in the OF.  If that is the plan, then blow this thing the f*** up.  This “kids can play” idea is sounds like Jerry’s dream for suppressing payroll.

In regards to your plan, I don’t think banking on a bunch of athletic but fringe outfield prospects is going to move the needle.  Other than Outman, who is the definition of high variance, I’m not all that excited about any of the names you mentioned.  You keep going on & on about athleticism, but other than bigger bases I’m not sure what rule changes suddenly make these guys this hot commodity.  Yes, defense is important and has been incredibly undervalued by Hahn but so is hitting the baseball.  I’m not convinced any of these guys will be average major league hitters.  If we were rebuilding, I’d be all over Outman, but trotting out a trio of unproven OFs doesn’t make sense if we’re going for it.  We should be giving Colas a shot in RF and pairing him with a veteran.  You claim the best years are behind Conforto, Bellinger, & Gallo, but at least these guys are still young and have hit major league pitching in the past.  The chances of them being successful is considerably higher than the guys you are seeking.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Adam Frazier makes a lot of sense as a 2B and LF.  Could use him in a versatile role and has a LH bat and would come cheaper due to his down year

question is, was his down year just your typical regression/age, or was it due to a league change/unfamiliarity with AL pitching

22 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I think you're better off either signing folks at the top of the market like Judge or Correa or bargain shopping the leftovers like Cueto last year.  The real sucker's bet is the consolation prize shelf of mediocre yet cromulent-seeming players that are often priced for that "fill multiple needs" approach.  Case in point, the Wheeler signing aged way better than the Keuchel signing. Better to spend more upfront than waste it all on the back end.

Tripping over a 20 to pick up a dollar is the white sox mo.

23 hours ago, Timmy U said:

to be fair didn't they have the highest offer Wheeler got? 

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Except that contract was hardly a deal.  No one else was giving him that money. 

I bet Leury’s agent still can’t believe he pulled off that miracle.  Like how did he even get the discussion to three years?  There is no chance in hell any other GM would have been willing to go more than two for Leury.  Just one of the most mind boggling signings I can remember in recent years.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I bet Leury’s agent still can’t believe he pulled off that miracle.  Like how did he even get the discussion to three years?  There is no chance in hell any other GM would have been willing to go more than two for Leury.  Just one of the most mind boggling signings I can remember in recent years.

Both in dollars and years.  Hahn is a master at lighting stacks of cash on fire. 

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There weren't any overpriced bullpen pitchers available that day so Hahn said WTF.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still feel like TLR had his hand in that signing…and then proceeded to make it look even worse by playing him every day. 

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Or, you know, TLR told JR how invaluable his Precious was to team success, and Hahn just followed the marching orders. 

If only I lived in the delusional world where I thought Leury Garcia was an every day player and Sox fans would love Joe Kelly one day, but alas I do not.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Except that contract was hardly a deal.  No one else was giving him that money. 

A year ago we wanted every player to have a Garcia level contact or better.  f*** the owners and their profits. Anyone then who said players got to much money was attached.