FA Strategy

Texsox

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I still feel like TLR had his hand in that signing…and then proceeded to make it look even worse by playing him every day. 

Oh I totally believe that Tony pushed them to bring Leury back, but Hahn still negotiated the contract and gave him a deal that kept him around longer than Tony’s two years remaining at the time.  I don’t care if Leury’s agent said the Tigers were offering three years to make him their starter at 2B, Hahn 100% ended up giving a well above market contract to Leury.  And what makes it even more frustrating is Hahn’s unwillingness to commit long-term to free agents at 2B & RF to avoid blocking prospects, but had no problem committing big dollars to a mediocre UT guy / reserve infielder despite having several guys in the minors who likely could have filled that role for pennies on the dollar by 2023.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I still feel like TLR had his hand in that signing…and then proceeded to make it look even worse by playing him every day. 

Yep...remember TLR explaining that Leury isn't a utility player but rather a regular that can play different positions.  

Guys with his level of experience should be making that amount, otherwise the owners are just raking profits. With the profits teams are making we should be complaining that other players with his experience and productivity aren't earning $5 mil a year. 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Guys with his level of experience should be making that amount, otherwise the owners are just raking profits. With the profits teams are making we should be complaining that other players with his experience and productivity aren't earning $5 mil a year. 

I didn't have a problem with the salary. The term was ridiculous for an over 30 bench player. What was funny is once Tony was out of the picture everyone figured out he shouldn't be playing. Hahn made the exact same mistake with Keppinger. 

If it was on Tony, if Joe Kelly was on Tony, if Vince Vasquez was on Tony, JR  should give that money blown back to Hahn to use. If it was on Hahn, he should get a new GM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I didn't have a problem with the salary. The term was ridiculous for an over 30 bench player. What was funny is once Tony was out of the picture everyone figured out he shouldn't be playing. Hahn made the exact same mistake with Keppinger. 

If it was on Tony, if Joe Kelly was on Tony, if Vince Vasquez was on Tony, JR  should give that money blown back to Hahn to use. If it was on Hahn, he should get a new GM

How early did they cut Keppinger loose?  Was there 2 years left on that deal, or just 1?

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

For long stretches Tony didn't have many options. Lots of injuries. But I'll agree Tony defended most of his players too much. Besides Mercedes I can't think of any player he didn't praise in public.

Perhaps the new guy will be more honest. Imagine a manager saying Garcia sucks and shouldn't be on a top team, or possibly any team. Instead of praising the guy.