Scratch That: Sox Interested in Wong...maybe...but Mariners Getting him

Wong has put up 2.5 fWAR each of the last 2 seasons and is projected for the same in 2023.Dependig on the price of prospects, I don't know how much better you can do than that at 2B and only a 1 year commitment . Who else can they realistically obtain that would fit into the  budget and not drain them of at least one of their better prospects?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Wong has put up 2.5 fWAR each of the last 2 seasons and it projected for the same in 2023.Dependig o. The price of prospects, I don't know how much better you can do than that at 2B and only a 1 year commitment . Who else can they realistically obtain that would fit into the  budget and not drain them of at least one of their prospects?

Rather they use that money towards the outfield and rotation and just stay in-house at 2B.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Wong has put up 2.5 fWAR each of the last 2 seasons and it projected for the same in 2023.Dependig o. The price of prospects, I don't know how much better you can do than that at 2B and only a 1 year commitment . Who else can they realistically obtain that would fit into the  budget and not drain them of at least one of their better prospects?

The Sox haven't had a 2nd basemen surpass 2 fWAR in 17 years and Wong hasn't played below that pace (prorating 2020 out for him) in the last 6 years. I think people are sleeping on what a significant addition he would be even if it's not a huge splash.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Rather they use that money towards the outfield and rotation and just stay in-house at 2B.

This is where JR has to step up. Yes the payroll is high enough to contend, but he has a bunch of guys who need a reset. He can't realistically think they can knock 8 figures off the payroll and still upgrade the team. $10 million for 2.5 WAR in a trouble position should be child's play.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This is where JR has to step up. Yes the payroll is high enough to contend, but he has a bunch of guys who need a reset. He can't realistically think they can knock 8 figures off the payroll and still upgrade the team. $10 million for 2.5 WAR in a trouble position should be child's play.

Definitely pathetic that (if true and let's face it, it probably is) he wants to reduce the payroll from last season in the middle of our competitive window.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Never count out the man who signed Albert Belle.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

The Sox haven't had a 2nd basemen surpass 2 fWAR in 17 years and Wong hasn't played below that pace (prorating 2020 out for him) in the last 6 years. I think people are sleeping on what a significant addition he would be even if it's not a huge splash.

I think the concern is with his defense, especially when rule changes will require more out of the position.  He’s also at an age where he could come to the Sox and fall off a cliff offensively.  Again, I’m not necessarily against it, but just think we have more obvious holes in the outfield & rotation and little money to add.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He doesn’t care though.  He will not risk a small one year loss even if greatly enhances his chances at winning.  It’s really that simple.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think the concern is with his defense, especially when rule changes will require more out of the position.  He’s also at an age where he could come to the Sox and fall off a cliff offensively.  Again, I’m not necessarily against it, but just think we have more obvious holes in the outfield & rotation and little money to add.

He also had knee and calf injuries last year. And he's only owed 1 season. I've been watching a lot of MLBN lately and one of the themes recently is there is no such thing as a bad 1 year contract. Now, if you would have to give up something fairly valuable for the guy, I see why someone would say no. But if they need to cut some payroll and would take a lottery ticket, unless there is a better option out there, it makes too much sense. And with Tony gone, making too much sense shouldn't be a reason why it doesn't happen. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He also had knee and calf injuries last year. And he's only owed 1 season. I've been watching a lot of MLBN lately and one of the themes recently is there is no such thing as a bad 1 year contract. Now, if you would have to give up something fairly valuable for the guy, I see why someone would say no. But if they need to cut some payroll and would take a lottery ticket, unless there is a better option out there, it makes too much sense. And with Tony gone, making too much sense shouldn't be a reason why it doesn't happen. 

Like I said, I’m not against it if our scouts think his defense will redound.  But adding him can’t come at the expense of OF & rotation upgrades.  We can live with Sosa & Romy competing for the 2B job for four months.  We won’t survive another year of Vaughn or Sheets getting significant OF time.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Like I said, I’m not against it if our scouts think his defense will redound.  But adding him can’t come at the expense of OF & rotation upgrades.  We can live with Sosa & Romy competing for the 2B job for four months.  We won’t survive another year of Vaughn or Sheets getting significant OF time.

Or even Sheets at DH with Eloy in LF. f*** no.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will suggest there that this wouldn't involve "extensive discussions" if the White Sox had sufficient confidence in Sosa at 2b this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Wong has put up 2.5 fWAR each of the last 2 seasons and is projected for the same in 2023.Dependig on the price of prospects, I don't know how much better you can do than that at 2B and only a 1 year commitment . Who else can they realistically obtain that would fit into the  budget and not drain them of at least one of their better prospects?

Most of our "issues" with Wong here aren't the player, but rather the money allocation.  If we truly only have ~15 million to spend.. Spending 10 million on a 2B, may not be the brightest idea

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Or even Sheets at DH with Eloy in LF. f*** no.

I think trading Sheets makes sense. Colas , who knows if he's ready but moving up in 2022 didn't hurt his numbers. Eloy should be the primary DH. Vaughn at 1B. Get Colas some time in RF, get another OF . Conforto probably wants a Rodon type 2 year with the opt out. Get another starter. Maybe a defensive minded back up catcher, and suddenly the team looks really good again

I wouldn’t hate acquiring Wong if they actually addressed OF and SP beforehand.  The defense is a concern and he does feel like someone the Sox would pick up right as he fell off a cliff offensively.  If they are actually cutting payroll it makes little sense not to roll with Romy/Sosa and address other more pressing needs. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Most of our "issues" with Wong here aren't the player, but rather the money allocation.  If we truly only have ~15 million to spend.. Spending 10 million on a 2B, may not be the brightest idea

If $10 million for a 2.5 WAR 2B, the way this front office had handled the position is too much, the White Sox are the Pirates.  Cleveland has better pitching, but there is no way the Sox shouldn't win the division if their front office is just competent_ 

I'd be fine with this if it costs the Sheets/Burger level, but I doubt it will. This team cannot afford to trade any prospects with good future value given their budget constraints.

Also if its Wong or some mediocre reliever at $10 mil give me Wong 100%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I think trading Sheets makes sense. Colas , who knows if he's ready but moving up in 2022 didn't hurt his numbers. Eloy should be the primary DH. Vaughn at 1B. Get Colas some time in RF, get another OF . Conforto probably wants a Rodon type 2 year with the opt out. Get another starter. Maybe a defensive minded back up catcher, and suddenly the team looks really good again

I don't really see the need a catcher.  Seby was a 2 fWAR player last year in 61 games.  He has no options.  He's a perfectly fine guy to split time with Grandal, and he's probably more likely to improve under Grifol's tutelage than Yaz.  Plus Sox have Perez who is very much a serviceable 3rd string catcher.  

Now if you could trade Seby for something useful, that's a different story.  I am not 100% sold that 2022 production is sustainable, but....you can't just cut him for a backup catcher, imo. 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I’d be ok giving him that deal. We don’t lose a draft pick anymore so whatever.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Scratch That: Sox Interested in Wong...maybe...but Mariners Getting him