Scratch That: Sox Interested in Wong...maybe...but Mariners Getting him

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't really see the need a catcher.  Seby was a 2 fWAR player last year in 61 games.  He has no options.  He's a perfectly fine guy to split time with Grandal, and he's probably more likely to improve under Grifol's tutelage than Yaz.  Plus Sox have Perez who is very much a serviceable 3rd string catcher.  

Now if you could trade Seby for something useful, that's a different story.  I am not 100% sold that 2022 production is sustainable, but....you can't just cut him for a backup catcher, imo. 

I would sell high on Seby. He's not a regular, and his defense to me is average at best. If he was hitting. 175 next June with a .525 OPS, I wouldn't be surprised.  Get a guy who throws well , blocks balls in the dirt, and calls a good game. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I would sell high on Seby. He's not a regular, and his defense to me is average at best. If he was hitting. 175 next June with a .525 OPS, I wouldn't be surprised.  Get a guy who throws well , blocks balls in the dirt, and calls a good game. 

I wouldn’t be surprised either and am fine with that plan if you can get something useful for Seby. But just cutting him after his 2022 would be questionable. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Seby is absolutely a sell high guy for me as well IF you could get something.  I doubt you could though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Seby is absolutely a sell high guy for me as well IF you could get something.  I doubt you could though.

We've seen a tolerable backup catcher move twice in the last year so we actually know what he's worth. We gave up Zach Collins for McGuire, and then gave up McGuire for Diekman. 

Seby for Wong probably works for the Brewers, they basically would have avoided the $2 million buyout on Wong and then turned him into a backup catcher. Of course, then the White Sox have added $10 million for Wong and then have to go spend $1-2 million more on a backup catcher. 

31 minutes ago, almagest said:

I'd be fine with this if it costs the Sheets/Burger level, but I doubt it will. This team cannot afford to trade any prospects with good future value given their budget constraints.

Also if its Wong or some mediocre reliever at $10 mil give me Wong 100%

Sheets yes, Burger no. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We've seen a tolerable backup catcher move twice in the last year so we actually know what he's worth. We gave up Zach Collins for McGuire, and then gave up McGuire for Diekman. 

Seby for Wong probably works for the Brewers, they basically would have avoided the $2 million buyout on Wong and then turned him into a backup catcher. Of course, then the White Sox have added $10 million for Wong and then have to go spend $1-2 million more on a backup catcher. 

Pocket change to upgrade 2 roster spots for teams legitimately trying to win multiple championships.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Did anyone entertain the idea of playing Eloy in LF again? 

No. I think most have been penciling him in as the DH, which he should be. We have no idea what this front office will do, however. For all we know, Sheets could be the DH against righties with Eloy in LF and then Eloy is the DH with another right-handed bat in left against lefties.

Edit: this would be really dumb.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Did anyone entertain the idea of playing Eloy in LF again? 

If the White Sox were thinking about a move for Wong, then they've probably at least considered it, because they wouldn't have much money left to add a LF regular and they can't possibly be certain that a trade for a cheap one will appear. 

But of course, that illustrates why taking on Wong's deal with only $25 million or less to play with would be a questionable call. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, pcq said:

Catching looks like a black hole. 

For the White Sox? Naw, it looks rather normal. They have 3 people who should play there. Grandal, Zavala, and Perez. The veteran probably shouldn't be counted on for more than 1/2 the games, but if he's in decent physical shape coming into the year it shouldn't be difficult for him to be a 1 win catcher. Not what you're paying him for, but not that obscene around the league. Although Zavala was a 2 WAR catcher last year, let's assume he's not nearly that good offensively again, but he was pretty good defensively and with pitch framing last year, so between him and Perez it shouldn't be impossible to get another 1 WAR out of them. If Grandal struggles more than that, maybe you could more aggressively put him on the IL and keep Perez on the roster, and the downside isn't all that terrible. If Zavala is still performing surprisingly well with the bats, maybe he steals some more at bats. 

As of right now, position looks about average. One young guy, one veteran on his literal last legs, and one guy who has a bit of experience who is somewhere around tolerable. That's about what most teams are bringing to the table. The Median team last year got 1.35 WAR from their catchers spot, the White Sox got 1.7. Shouldn't be impossible to pull off something like that again. Cleveland and Houston? -0.2 and -0.6, respectively, and I'm not sure anyone cared that those were black holes. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

For the White Sox? Naw, it looks rather normal. They have 3 people who should play there. Grandal, Zavala, and Perez. The veteran probably shouldn't be counted on for more than 1/2 the games, but if he's in decent physical shape coming into the year it shouldn't be difficult for him to be a 1 win catcher. Not what you're paying him for, but not that obscene around the league. Although Zavala was a 2 WAR catcher last year, let's assume he's not nearly that good offensively again, but he was pretty good defensively and with pitch framing last year, so between him and Perez it shouldn't be impossible to get another 1 WAR out of them. If Grandal struggles more than that, maybe you could more aggressively put him on the IL and keep Perez on the roster, and the downside isn't all that terrible. If Zavala is still performing surprisingly well with the bats, maybe he steals some more at bats. 

As of right now, position looks about average. One young guy, one veteran on his literal last legs, and one guy who has a bit of experience who is somewhere around tolerable. That's about what most teams are bringing to the table. The Median team last year got 1.35 WAR from their catchers spot, the White Sox got 1.7. Shouldn't be impossible to pull off something like that again. Cleveland and Houston? -0.2 and -0.6, respectively, and I'm not sure anyone cared that those were black holes. 

I would not rely on Grandal's knees at this point but I am OK with Sebz. Are these guys playoff caliber? 🤔 

19 minutes ago, pcq said:

I would not rely on Grandal's knees at this point but I am OK with Sebz. Are these guys playoff caliber? 🤔 

At catcher? Yes, absolutely, literally anything can be playoff caliber at that position. I gave the numbers for Houston and Cleveland in that post. Anything you get out of the catcher's spot is basically gravy, it isn't a method that carries most teams to the playoffs. Nobody cares that Houston's catchers gave them very little offensively or defensively because they handled their rotation expertly and those folks were at the top of the sport.

Are the White Sox playoff caliber if they get 1.7 WAR out of their catchers spot? I dunno. They have to make that ground up elsewhere, and last year they couldn't come close. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Seby and Sheets are part of the reason why Chris Johnson got promoted.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Scratch That: Sox Interested in Wong...maybe...but Mariners Getting him