Scratch That: Sox Interested in Wong...maybe...but Mariners Getting him

45 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

He put up 3 plus war each of the past two years. He isn’t terrible by any stretch of the imagine like some of you are implying. 

If they get him for a scrub by all means. I don’t like the cost but it is a one year deal. If he ages fast than whatever.

Are you ok with acquiring him if it means Eloy is the only LF option?

Unless the cost is very low, this is just another instance of this front office being stuck in 1996. If you have limited resources, why tf would you spend it on a 1 win upgrade to the only spot where you actually have some depth? I’m not saying you can’t upgrade from what the white Sox have, but if you have three 1.5 WAR guys at a spot, but you literally don’t even have three actual outfielders on your 40 man, and only even have a full starting pitching staff if you assume 150 innings of Davis Martin and perfect pitcher health otherwise, you fucking can’t afford to blow your load on a 2.5 win second baseman with downside.

And yeah, you can say that this wouldn’t have to be the only move they made, and wait for the whole offseason but how many times are we going to fall for that?

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Wong also stopped being able to hit LHP.  As much as they need a 2nd baseman that can hit RHP, he showed a lot of signs of slowing down last year.

He's down to 21st percentile in sprint speed. Which definitely doesn't help him defensively. 

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Scratch That: Sox Interested in Wong...maybe...but Mariners Getting him

Winker's not strong defensively, but I was more interested in him for the Sox than Wong.  To me, Toro's just a guy, but I generally I like this trade for the Brew Crew.  Opens up 2b for Turang who's not likely to be a world-beater, but he's $9+ million cheaper than Wong.

18 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Winker's not strong defensively, but I was more interested in him for the Sox than Wong.  To me, Toro's just a guy, but I generally I like this trade for the Brew Crew.  Opens up 2b for Turang who's not likely to be a world-beater, but he's $9+ million cheaper than Wong.

Huh, it appears I am dead wrong about Jesse Winker.

https://sodomojo.com/2022/10/18/mariners-jesse-winker-reportedly-odds/