Sox looking for LH OF, LH 2B, and SP

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

At this point, we just got to hope Fegan was wrong on that $180M estimate, because I can’t see Hahn pulling enough miracles otherwise.

I think he was.  I am hopeful it was just internal expectation management.  

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I hope agents and other GMs don't know what the Sox need. They may ask for more in return. 

Just highlighting the world that Hahn has to work in. 

I mean, that's kind of their job.  If the GMs and their supporting staff around the league don't know what the Sox, and all the other clubs need, they're pretty awful at their job.  

• Thanks 1

It is funny watching how the padres and Phillies come off a very disappointing season and both decided to keep spending to overcome, knowing regression would likely be positive.

They then made NLCS and more.

But since JR despises both owners for paying players what they believe they are worth he will instead cut payroll to achieve his number one goal:  not giving labor too much wealth.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

It is funny watching how the padres and Phillies come off a very disappointing season and both decided to keep spending to overcome, knowing regression would likely be positive.

They then made NLCS and more.

But since JR despises both owners for paying players what they believe they are worth he will instead cut payroll to achieve his number one goal:  not giving labor too much wealth.

Teams like the Phillies & Jays are able to give a $100M+ contract every winter when they are going for it.  Meanwhile, Jerry is tapped out and on the brink of bankruptcy after signing a couple high paid relievers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Or just want to bring him along a bit slower.

This article also seems to suggest the Sox are willing to spend. Which I think is a very good thing. 

In any event, Bowden is a hack and doesn’t know much.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

This article also seems to suggest the Sox are willing to spend. Which I think is a very good thing. 

In any event, Bowden is a hack and doesn’t know much.

He also suggested we were 5th likely to sign Judge or something like that….so yeah…wish I could believe something the dude says but at this point he’s no better than the foodies

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, that's kind of their job.  If the GMs and their supporting staff around the league don't know what the Sox, and all the other clubs need, they're pretty awful at their job.  

Exactly my point. Hahn has a tougher job than many fans want to believe. 

27 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This continues to suggest that they don’t believe in Sosa as a major leaguer.

I assume you mean for this coming season. I would guess that teams have won WS titles with rookies in a couple starting, playing everyday, spots. Was 11 games enough to gauge his readiness? Probably not, but he did appear over matched at times and didn't inspire a lot of enthusiasm. He's 22 and has been in the system for five years now, so maybe they are souring on him. I hope not. 

For his development would a season of hitting below .200 while sharing time as a starter be better for his career or a season at AAA? 

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This continues to suggest that they don’t believe in Sosa as a major leaguer.

Their history says that they don't have a clue whether he is or isn't.  But because has no external affirmation (prospect ranking), they don't want to take the chance that he isn't, and would prefer some decliner that they can wishcast will rebound.

• Like 1

At least they are looking at the right places to improve. They had all these same needs last year and blew their wad on relievers, although to be fair it was TLR calling the shots not the FO.

They can't afford Nimmo or Benintendi, or Manaea, Rodon etc.

I could definitely see Frazier at 2B and maybe that Kepler trade if it's not too painful. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Giolito trade. They need to free up money somehow and he isn't coming back in 24 so they need to address needs with that chip now since there's no way they can move Grandals salary most likely. 

Moving Anderson would also net them a strong return IMO. 

16 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

At least they are looking at the right places to improve. They had all these same needs last year and blew their wad on relievers, although to be fair it was TLR calling the shots not the FO.

They can't afford Nimmo or Benintendi, or Manaea, Rodon etc.

I could definitely see Frazier at 2B and maybe that Kepler trade if it's not too painful. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Giolito trade. They need to free up money somehow and he isn't coming back in 24 so they need to address needs with that chip now since there's no way they can move Grandals salary most likely. 

Moving Anderson would also net them a strong return IMO. 

How does moving Giolito help if you’re trying to compete? Who can they sign for less money that has more upside? The answer is no one. If you trade Gio, you need to replace him. That continues to make no sense. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I assume you mean for this coming season. I would guess that teams have won WS titles with rookies in a couple starting, playing everyday, spots. Was 11 games enough to gauge his readiness? Probably not, but he did appear over matched at times and didn't inspire a lot of enthusiasm. He's 22 and has been in the system for five years now, so maybe they are souring on him. I hope not. 

For his development would a season of hitting below .200 while sharing time as a starter be better for his career or a season at AAA? 

I don’t know what it means long term.

But regardless, this is a guy who had success last year at AA and above. The team clearly has some payroll limitations, so if you thought you could plug Sosa in and just get what Harrison gave you last year, you’d almost have to do it.

If they have $20 million to spend and they spend $10 million on a 2b, all of a sudden there’s not much left at all for the OF and pitching. If they have $35 million to spend, I think almost everyone would say go sign Nimmo for $25 million and use the other $10 million on a pitcher and that gives you the best lineup you can field.

The only way you wouldn’t do that is if you were convinced Sosa would be a complete black hole this year and wouldn’t improve even by the second half.

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How does moving Giolito help if you’re trying to compete? Who can they sign for less money that has more upside? The answer is no one. If you trade Gio, you need to replace him. That continues to make no sense. 

They could sign Clevinger for about the same amount of money and at least Clevinger still threw 95 mph last year. 

That being said, beyond him I agree with you. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I don’t know what it means long term.

But regardless, this is a guy who had success last year at AA and above. The team clearly has some payroll limitations, so if you thought you could plug Sosa in and just get what Harrison gave you last year, you’d almost have to do it.

If they have $20 million to spend and they spend $10 million on a 2b, all of a sudden there’s not much left at all for the OF and pitching. If they have $35 million to spend, I think almost everyone would say go sign Nimmo for $25 million and use the other $10 million on a pitcher and that gives you the best lineup you can field.

The only way you wouldn’t do that is if you were convinced Sosa would be a complete black hole this year and wouldn’t improve even by the second half.

Thing is, while Sosa should be option A if they go internal, the Sox don’t have to sink or swim with him all season. You have Romy, Yolbert, Leury, perhaps Mendick will be back, JRod could be ready at some point. They definitely have options there.