Sox looking for LH OF, LH 2B, and SP

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

They could sign Clevinger for about the same amount of money and at least Clevinger still threw 95 mph last year. 

That being said, beyond him I agree with you. 

Ok, so what did that accomplish? Giolito >> Clevinger and you spent the same amount on them, and STILL need another SP. It doesn’t make any sense. 

33 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

How does moving Giolito help if you’re trying to compete? Who can they sign for less money that has more upside? The answer is no one. If you trade Gio, you need to replace him. That continues to make no sense. 

We have to get creative. If you sent Giolito to SD for example, using the trade value site, you could get back Snell and Campusano and it would be a wash. While Snell is also under contract for just one year, at least you swapped out a RHP for a LHP and you also got a legit young cost controlled C to replace Grandal after next year without having to spend more money later. With the remaining SP hole, you can prolly put in a cheap scrub since you already added the LHP and honestly with Cease, Snell, Kopech and Lynn, the No. 5 SP doesn't matter much. 

2 hours ago, joejoesox said:

I have a feeling some contracts are gonna be dumped, guys who ppl weren't expecting to be traded

I think they can trade one and that's Hendriks. He's a great guy and with his wife are very generous working with charities. Would be a big loss but it's just one hole every couple of games that Lopez could probably fill.

Trickle down effect would weaken the pen but more appropriate spending on the BP pieces has to happen.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think they can trade one and that's Hendriks. He's a great guy and with his wife are very generous working with charities. Would be a big loss but it's just one hole every couple of games that Lopez could probably fill.

Trickle down effect would weaken the pen but more appropriate spending on the BP pieces has to happen.

Yeah, it sucks but they kinda have to trade Hendriks and hope that Graveman or Lopez can do the job. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, it sucks but they kinda have to trade Hendriks and hope that Graveman or Lopez can do the job. 

I know my proposals for the OF haven't been well received but I am at least working under current perceived financial parameters and keeping needs in mind, namely,  team speed, defense , power, LHness, youth,depth energy , SP and the future.

The situation is what it is. More than one decent FA is a dream and it should be a SP.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

28 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

We have to get creative. If you sent Giolito to SD for example, using the trade value site, you could get back Snell and Campusano and it would be a wash. While Snell is also under contract for just one year, at least you swapped out a RHP for a LHP and you also got a legit young cost controlled C to replace Grandal after next year without having to spend more money later. With the remaining SP hole, you can prolly put in a cheap scrub since you already added the LHP and honestly with Cease, Snell, Kopech and Lynn, the No. 5 SP doesn't matter much. 

I suppose if you’re flipping Gio for another vet SP it could work. Just seems like a bit of a video game trade. 

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If you work through the way it cascades, “I had to trade Hendriks so that I could afford Kolten Wong” really doesn’t give a lot of confidence in this season going well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you work through the way it cascades, “I had to trade Hendriks so that I could afford Kolten Wong” really doesn’t give a lot of confidence in this season going well.

Of course not, but relievers are very volatile and it makes more sense to allocate resources in the lineup and rotation than in the bullpen. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I believe the $180 million number came from Jimmy.

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah I’m not really sure. I think it’s a range. If it’s really a hard, $180 million though, people need to get used to the idea of Oscar Colas, Lenyn Sosa and Davis Martin playing prominent roles 

I’m certain it came from James Fegan, but see above for confirmation it’s not Jimmy suggesting this.

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah I’m not really sure. I think it’s a range. If it’s really a hard, $180 million though, people need to get used to the idea of Oscar Colas, Lenyn Sosa and Davis Martin playing prominent roles 

I think Colas is playing a prominent role regardless of payroll ceiling.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It's certainly not how teams in their supposed window, saying the goal is multiple championships usually operate. Hopefully it's some sort of smokescreen,  because lowering the payroll and failing again will doom them. As shitty as this team was in so many ways, 2 million still showed up. They can't do the usual and blame the fans for not buying their shitty product.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's really hard to see the Sox winning 80+ games next year with the payroll constraints. 

They've basically rebuilt to end up right back where they were in 2016. 

The schedule is going to be a little tougher. I still think they should win the division,  but that starts with what they do this winter. The manager is an upgrade. I think it's a great start. Pedro is detail oriented.  Tony let players cut corners and we all paid fot it. Hahn can't be worse than last off season, but he needs to shine. That may be a tall task. Only diehards were very upset with how the Rodon thing went last year with no QO. If the Sox fail and Abreu has a big season elsewhere,  the rest of the fanbase is going to blow up. Rodon may be more valuable st this point, but Jose way more popular. I hope they realize they are playing with fire and actually upgrade the team, not just hope 5 or 6 guys can turn back the clock, and a few others do what they have never done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I suppose if you’re flipping Gio for another vet SP it could work. Just seems like a bit of a video game trade. 

It might be but I'm trying to hit two birds with one stone where the value is semi realistic.

If our budget is 180m that's going to be very difficult and will require alot of manuevering. Maybe after they get a young C like Campusano in a trade like that, they could then package Grandal with some prospects not named Colas or Montgomery to open up some cash. 

More likely they'll need to sell Hendriks. 

I think Anderson needs to be moved while he still has 2 years of cheap control. They seem to really believe Montgomery is a SS so all you need is like a one year bridge. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The schedule is going to be a little tougher. I still think they should win the division,  but that starts with what they do this winter. The manager is an upgrade. I think it's a great start. Pedro is detail oriented.  Tony let players cut corners and we all paid fot it. Hahn can't be worse than last off season, but he needs to shine. That may be a tall task. Only diehards were very upset with how the Rodon thing went last year with no QO. If the Sox fail and Abreu has a big season elsewhere,  the rest of the fanbase is going to blow up. Rodon may be more valuable st this point, but Jose way more popular. I hope they realize they are playing with fire and actually upgrade the team, not just hope 5 or 6 guys can turn back the clock, and a few others do what they have never done.

Sorry, I think Cleveland is just better. I think they would have been in 2021 as well if they didn't get decimated by injuries. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It's certainly not how teams in their supposed window, saying the goal is multiple championships usually operate. Hopefully it's some sort of smokescreen,  because lowering the payroll and failing again will doom them. As shitty as this team was in so many ways, 2 million still showed up. They can't do the usual and blame the fans for not buying their shitty product.

25% increase in attendance and Jerry is going to cut payroll.  Just a terrible businessman and horrible owner.

• Like 2