MLB.com proposes worst Sox trade I’ve seen yet

bmags

LMAO

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-hot-stove-trade-proposals-2022

A South Side shakeup
White Sox get: 2B Gleyber Torres, 3B Josh Donaldson, $10.8 million
Yankees get: 3B Yoán Moncada, RHP Jimmy Lambert

You want to get nuts? Let’s get nuts.

With Anthony Volpe and Oswald Peraza in the Yankees’ near or immediate middle-infield picture, Torres is a good candidate to get moved this winter. And a White Sox team for which second base has been a problematic position for more than a decade is an obvious fit. Perhaps there’s a more direct swap to be had here in which the Sox send prospects and/or bullpen help to the Yanks.

But what fun is that? We’re here to think big, and this crazy proposal might help both sides.

The Sox get an obvious improvement and perhaps additional upside at second base in Torres. They move Moncada, who has had an up-and-down career to date. And while replacing him with Donaldson erases a lot of upside, it also frees the Sox of the $24.8 million owed to Moncada in 2024 (plus a $5 million buyout in 2025) in exchange for an $8 million buyout of Donaldson’s '24 deal. That’s some added long-term financial flexibility for a Chicago team in need of it. At minimum, Donaldson is still capable of giving them good defense at the hot corner.

Of course, pairing Donaldson with Tim Anderson would be, um, more than a little awkward (hey, we promised you this was nuts). But it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve seen players with a past forced to smooth things over after an acquisition.

Torres, meanwhile, comes with two years of contractual control and took well to the shift to second base while swatting 24 homers and 28 doubles with a .761 OPS. If that’s his floor, it’s a big upgrade for the South Siders. And if he can reach the upside that made him the centerpiece of the Cubs-Yankees Aroldis Chapman trade in 2016, that’s an even bigger plus. Factoring in Torres’ arbitration cost, the Sox take on roughly $3 million in '23 payroll in this swap.

What do the Yankees get? For one, a bullpen piece in Lambert, who is under control through 2027 and had strong results in high-leverage spots after a shift to the 'pen last year (2.90 ERA in 40 relief appearances). Even in sending half of Donaldson’s salary obligation to the Sox, New York shaves about $3 million off its '23 payroll. The Yanks get improved upside at third base in Moncada, who struggled (and was injured) in '22 but at 27 years old is a safer bet to return to above-average offensive production at this stage than Donaldson. Moncada also balances the Yankees’ lineup as a switch-hitter. The Yankees are taking on the $24.8 million owed to Moncada in '24 and losing the $8 million buyout owed to Donaldson for that season.

Hey, what do you know? Maybe Torres could wind up playing for a Chicago team, after all!

Take the deal for Torres because a couple things will have to have happened….you shake up the core by dealing Moncada and would probably have to shake it up even more if you didn’t deal Donaldson because he has issues with both Giolito and TA….or keep them all and watch the s%*# storm implode

I'd consider that deal. Donaldson is just the kind of firebrand the Sox need to help create a more intense tone to the lethargy. If there are concerns about how he would relate to TA, send TA packing too. Dodgers could use him and have several young fireballers who appear MLB ready (not to mention Lux, Outman and Busch and others). This team needs to change its course beginning with adding guys with intensity and a sense of urgency and moving the walking soap operas.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

I'd consider that deal. Donaldson is just the kind of firebrand the Sox need to help create a more intense tone to the lethargy. If there are concerns about how he would relate to TA, send TA packing too. Dodgers could use him and have several young fireballers who appear MLB ready (not to mention Lux, Outman and Busch and others). This team needs to change its course beginning with adding guys with intensity and a sense of urgency and moving the walking soap operas.

Donaldson is gonna be 37 and is owed almost $30 million guaranteed. Even if the Yankees kick in $11 million like the article suggested the Sox would still be adding salary for 2022. 

17 minutes ago, Flash said:

Ah, yes. "Intensity" here means "asshole."

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Flash said:

That's why I liked that you also were interested in Outman. Only I think a bigger infusion of fast , good defensive young hungry players would give them the energy infusion they need without an old, downside of his career, dickhead.

The Sox lacked energy because TLR didn't provide any and they had slow outfielders incapable of making plays or throwing out guys on bases. Crisp defense always fires up teams and fans along with good base running by speedy players. Remember Billy Hamilton in 2021? The fans loved him and he brought energy because despite his lack of hitting talent he was dynamic in the OF and as a runner.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's why I liked that you also were interested in Outman. Only I think a bigger infusion of fast , good defensive young hungry players would give them the energy infusion they need without an old, downside of his career, dickhead.

The Sox lacked energy because TLR didn't provide any and they had slow outfielders incapable of making plays or throwing out guys on bases. Crisp defense always fires up teams and fans along with good base running by speedy players. Remember Billy Hamilton in 2021? The fans loved him and he brought energy because despite his lack of hitting talent he was dynamic in the OF and as a runner.

If you’ve gotten to the point of suggesting that Billy Hamilton was a major key to 2021 and his absence was a major factor in why 2022 didn’t go well, then I think you’ve taken this concept too far.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Donaldson is garbage, aim higher.  Not one locker room benefited from that guy being there, nobody likes him

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Donaldson is garbage, aim higher.  Not one locker room benefited from that guy being there, nobody likes him

If we had LaRussa I would be saying this works fine since he’s already experienced at telling the opposing team to throw at players on the Sox.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Flash said:

I hate Donaldson, but shaking up the team by getting rid of, as you put it, "the walking soap operas" is just what this team needs.  I would rather Donaldson not be involved, however.