Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Cueto would seem to be a no-brainer after what we saw last season.

Ehhh. He’s not going to be nearly as cheap and is 37 next season.  Johnny was a joy to watch but expecting that performance again would be crazy. I have no issues with Sox looking in a different direction. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t see what signing Clevinger to trade Giolito accomplishes.  You’re right back in the same spot in needing a starter and now have lost a guy who typically gives you 180 innings.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul, or whatever the expression is.  The dumbass FO trading Gio to fill other holes, signing a lesser replacement and calling it ok because they refuse to spend to improve the roster. 

Edited by Tnetennba

41 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ehhh. He’s not going to be nearly as cheap and is 37 next season.  Johnny was a joy to watch but expecting that performance again would be crazy. I have no issues with Sox looking in a different direction. 

I certainly don't mind them looking in another direction, but Clevenger is no sure thing and will cost more than Cueto.  If looking for moderate priced innings, Q might be as good as any.

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Clevenger is at best a 5 and dive guy. With limited money to spend this move does very little to move the needle. 

Isn't every starter in baseball turning into a five and dive? 

Count me in the group that would prefer Cueto to Clevinger. Guy was always one of those Cleveland guys who was command over stuff. You lose a little off that, you lose a lot. Also, he seems like a complete tool. If I am going to root for a .500 team, I would like to actually like the team.

• Like 1

Just now, Vote4Pedro said:

I would bring him in but imagine he won’t be cheap, with limited cash I’d still assume they end up trading Giolito for needs elsewhere and still try to resign Cueto….#WhitesoxCheap

But Clevinger is going to cost the same as Giolito, and possibly a little more. Signing Clevinger and trading Giolito isn’t  a move a “cheap” team would make to help them financially. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

I would bring him in but imagine he won’t be cheap, with limited cash I’d still assume they end up trading Giolito for needs elsewhere and still try to resign Cueto….#WhitesoxCheap

I think Hendriks or a different reliever is more likely to be moved if they need to clear salary.  And I can’t imagine Cueto would be all that cheaper than Giolito’s $10M salary, so what are you really gaining there other than hoping a 37 year old with a sub 6 per 9 K rate can repeat his 2022 season.  I wouldn’t want to bank on that.

10 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Count me in the group that would prefer Cueto to Clevinger. Guy was always one of those Cleveland guys who was command over stuff. You lose a little off that, you lose a lot. Also, he seems like a complete tool. If I am going to root for a .500 team, I would like to actually like the team.

I was in agreement up until the .500 team part.  I'm feeling good about Pedro pumping some life into the team.  Upgrades to RF, 2nd base, and SP don't need to be high priced to make a big impact.  I'm thinking the WS will have a payroll of about $200 and that is enough to get the job done nicely.

7 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Fangraphs crowdsourcing had him getting a 1/$8M deal and MLBTR had getting a 1/$10M deal.  Both seem a little light to me and I went with $12M in my off-season plan.  Regardless, if we only have $15M to work with it, any of those prices would eat up a good chunk of our flexibility assuming an $180M payroll.  Would almost make me believe there is a little more in the coffers.

1 year/$10 million with a $10 million team option and $2 million buyout is your 1 year/$12 million

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I agree but I wouldn’t be mad if they signed Clevinger, especially on a one year prove it deal.

Plus, I’m of the mind that the Sox need to sign TWO starters. That second starter could be a lefty, a 4/5/6 starter type. Guys like Quintana, Yarbrough, Smyly, Boyd. 

I’m with you, but the Sox have been obstinately refusing to build this kind of depth for decades. We’re gonna get exactly five starters, who will be expected to throw 180 innings based on the value of their Names(tm), irrespective of their actual current ability or level of health or the state of the game of baseball post-2010.

Given that immutable axiom, which simply exists whether we like it or not, the fifth starter might as well be someone with upside like Clevinger. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

35 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

But Clevinger is going to cost the same as Giolito, and possibly a little more. Signing Clevinger and trading Giolito isn’t  a move a “cheap” team would make to help them financially. 

It’s cheap in the terms of you can just spend the money to bring in Clevinger and keep Giolito, however I don’t think you can have both on the roster. It’s cheap when the Sox will take an internal strength like their pitching and weaken it to fill other holes on the roster 

41 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The guy he's replacing wasn't a five and dive guy so they should at least sign a guy who will give them a better 5 innings than Clevenger is capable of giving.

Agreed. 

Mine was a separate question. It seems like starters are becoming more like long relief guys. Pacing to get into the seventh just isn't a priority. Five hard and watch the rest of the game from the bench is the direction baseball is heading.   

52 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

What if the Sox move on from Kopech? I know Gio makes the most sense to move on from but Kopech could be used to net a younger piece. 

A good way to leave yourself with 1 SP in 2024. Trading Kopech right now would be nuts. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic