Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The guy he's replacing wasn't a five and dive guy so they should at least sign a guy who will give them a better 5 innings than Clevenger is capable of giving.

The “you just added innings to your middle relief” is a smart angle on this that I didn’t think of. Thanks.

That would be extra important if they actually were going to trade away a reliever and weaken that already shaky bullpen.

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think Fangraphs crowdsourcing had him getting a 1/$8M deal and MLBTR had getting a 1/$10M deal.  Both seem a little light to me and I went with $12M in my off-season plan.  Regardless, if we only have $15M to work with it, any of those prices would eat up a good chunk of our flexibility assuming an $180M payroll.  Would almost make me believe there is a little more in the coffers.

If you count Pollock to make the 2023 payroll look as high as possible, they’re at just over $160 million right now. Adding $15 million would leave them at about $175, which seems low. $20 million spending seems required to get to $180. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Kopech cant stay healthy and is going to be babied again in 2023. Im over him, if you can get a nice return go for it

And watch him turn into one of the best RH SP in the league?  Nah, I'll pass.  If you're gonna trade him, at least let him blow up first and move him after 2023.  

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The “you just added innings to your middle relief” is a smart angle on this that I didn’t think of. Thanks.

That would be extra important if they actually were going to trade away a reliever and weaken that already shaky bullpen.

You think of our bullpen is shaky in our current form?

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There are a couple of guys in the bullpen that would be addition by subtraction.

I’m all for signing Clevinger if the price is right.  Doing so would most likely mean Cueto isn’t returning or Giolito is being traded.  If 2023 performance is similar to 2022, I’d take Cueto.  But Giolito’s value is probably relatively low, and the return would be underwhelming.

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I’m all for signing Clevinger if the price is right.  Doing so would most likely mean Cueto isn’t returning or Giolito is being traded.  If 2023 performance is similar to 2022, I’d take Cueto.  But Giolito’s value is probably relatively low, and the return would be underwhelming.

Fegan seems to imply the Sox have no interest in bringing Cueto back:

With Cueto departing in free agency and the Sox not looking for a reunion, there is an obvious hole in the rotation of a team looking to make an immediate return to contention.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You think of our bullpen is shaky in our current form?

Hell yes. I count two guys right now that I would expect to have strong seasons, one of whom has an elbow that cost him a month last year. They have extremely poor bullpen depth, they were strong in tight games thanks to those guys but their middle relief was straight up bad. Cueto to Clevinger almost certainly hangs more innings onto that crappy middle relief.

• Like 1

I hate to default to this viewpoint but I feel like the entire league could use Clevinger, his upside and pseudo team control for '24 at 1/10. 

So, if our front office is the most bullish org on him... that worries me.  I'll almost feel better about it if we have to give him a second year lol.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I don't see them trading Lucas while Katz is the pitching coach. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

This club never trades guys at peak value. We’re equivalent of a retail trader buying a stock at $100 and selling at $80.  Then buying someone similar the next year for $100, rinse/repeat.

Sale, Quintana, Eaton

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sale, Quintana, Eaton

All 3 of those were pretty great trades. You have to give Hahn his due for them. But other than those 3 has he even had one you would call a good trade? Maybe Colome depending how you look at it. It’s another thing that scares me about their supposedly using trades to finish off the team. He’s pretty much been horrible at it  most of the time. Edit, Lynn was a good trade.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

All 3 of those were pretty great trades. You have to give Hahn his due for them. But other than those 3 has he even had one you would call a good trade? Maybe Colome depending how you look at it. It’s another thing that scares me about their supposedly using trades to finish off the team. He’s pretty much been horrible at it  most of the time. Edit, Lynn was a good trade.

No I think Hahn is a rubbish GM. I think the unfortunate thing for us compared to other fandoms is when we say “Sox never trade guys at their peak” we are covering ourselves against a 23 year history of the same regime instead of “x GM never trades guys at their peak”.

But yeah my main thing is the only actual helpful item Sox could do this year is fire Hahn.

2 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

What if the Sox move on from Kopech? I know Gio makes the most sense to move on from but Kopech could be used to net a younger piece. 

I think this is probably the best time to move Kopech if the return is good, he's actually healthy

45 minutes ago, bmags said:

Sale, Quintana, Eaton

You can’t tell me our GMs have historically tried to buy low and sell high. Your example is when we intentionally decided to rebuild (correct decision!), I don’t think that was consistent with how they’ve thought about asset management.  Whenever we’ve even mildly been in contention we’ve bought high (whether paying FAs for recent performance), and dumped low.

The fact that we traded stars during a rebuild doesn’t negate our general history.

11 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Good post. Hoping he signs for relatively cheap so there is still financial room to add an outfielder.

Give me Clevinger, Kepler, Elvis, Johnny and Colas and I'm ready to rock. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic