Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Lucas Giolito performed close to "non tender" level this past season.  I'd much rather his big rotation $ go to someone else.  

$10M is “big money” now? And Giolito isn’t remotely close to a non tender at that salary level. 

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The Sox philosophy under JR has always been anti-MLBPA and certain agents.

Remember the labor impasse of 1994-95? JR was willing to neuter his own team's chances to get to the World Series in a foolish effort to get a salary cap and break the MLBPA.

Just this past spring he was quoted in the mainstream media as saying he supported the lockout.

He has always believed that players make too much money (hence the self-imposed payroll limitations)

Thanks for the background. Again, if JR took out his meta union philosophy on individual union reps for no good productive (Sox) reason, I'm stunned to learn about. MLBPA is going to see to it that rules are followed no matter who the team rep is.

17 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Thanks for the background. Again, if JR took out his meta union philosophy on individual union reps for no good productive (Sox) reason, I'm stunned to learn about. MLBPA is going to see to it that rules are followed no matter who the team rep is.

Jack McDowell was the union reps in 1994. They got rid of him as quickly as possible.  

Giolito put up 11.3 fWAR from 2019 to 2021 over 72 starts.  This ranked 7th in all of baseball.  And now some people are eager to dump him after a season in which he put 1.8 fWAR and a 3.65 xFIP.  You won’t find a better value for $10M next year than Lucas Giolito.  He won’t be an ace, but take #2 or #3 type starter production on the cheap for a year and then place a QO on him.  That’s probably the best path forward with him.

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Giolito put up 11.3 fWAR from 2019 to 2021 over 72 starts.  This ranked 7th in all of baseball.  And now some people are eager to dump him after a season in which he put 1.8 fWAR and a 3.65 xFIP.  You won’t find a better value for $10M next year than Lucas Giolito.  He won’t be an ace, but take #2 or #3 type starter production on the cheap for a year and then place a QO on him.  That’s probably the best path forward with him.

2020 may have skewed his stats playing against crap opponents with minimal pressure. On a team trying to win a World Series he is a 3, maybe a 4 at this point. But that is well worth his current salary, not 200 million that he probably wanted last year. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This. It’s just not that complicated. Some people around here need to watch more teams besides the Sox if you think Gio is a problem or overpaid at $10M.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

2020 may have skewed his stats playing against crap opponents with minimal pressure. On a team trying to win a World Series he is a 3, maybe a 4 at this point. But that is well worth his current salary, not 200 million that he probably wanted last year. 

I think his days as a 5+ win SP are long gone, but I think he can still be a 3 to 4 win pitcher if he can get his mechanics worked out.  I agree, I’d be hesitant to commit big money to him at this point, but take advantage of his reasonable salary for a year and put a QO on him.  I just don’t see how selling him makes us any better this year and I’m assuming no one is giving up a prospect package that is worth that trade-off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joemg311 said:

Based on how they have "filled" glaring roster holes in the past, I would be absolutely shocked if they signed someone as good as Clevinger. I'm expecting someone more along the lines of Vince Velasquez again.

Every roster is back filled with guys like VV.  You can't get to 15+ pitchers to fill a season long roster without them.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

That actually worked out pretty well.  He had one more decent year and then completely fell 

But they didn't get much for him. And his the lack of his edge might have hurt the 1995 White Sox. It, at the very least, cost Lamont is job, and put Bevington in the driver's seat. He actually might have been worse than 2022 LaRussa.

But the point is, Sox union reps dissappear soon after labor strife.

Edited by Dick Allen

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox should follow-up a Clevinger signing with a Conforto signing.  Swing for the fucking the fences with your additions and hope for the best.

That would be great but I think they will use savings from Giolitos 10 to basically try to buy 2 low salary position players and offset most of the cost in a 3 team trade.

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I mean, I can possibly understand JR has an attitude, but the fact that there would be no Sox  upside to dumping a union rep, and that JR would take it that far out of spite would be surprising to learn

It would be surprising to learn that JR would take it that far out of spite when he tried to go to arbitration with the guy over what was it $50k last year?

.Unless they are getting a package where they can't say no, trading Gio would be a mistake. He's pitching for a big payday. He was great before he got Covid. I just had Covid a little over a month ago. Very mild, but ev3en now I get run down pretty easily.  This guys upside is too high to sell low.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic