Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It would be surprising to learn that JR would take it that far out of spite when he tried to go to arbitration with the guy over what was it $50k last year?

The realm of  being petty over money is understandable to me. Its not like specific union reps cost him any more money, so there’s  no practical point to it for JR. Is he gonna get rid of every guy that takes that role for no practical reason?

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Jack McDowell was the union reps in 1994. They got rid of him as quickly as possible.  

Seeing how the rest of his career played out, that was a good decision . And he probably cost the Sox a World Series title in 93 with his God awful performance against Toronto.

52 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Seeing how the rest of his career played out, that was a good decision . And he probably cost the Sox a World Series title in 93 with his God awful performance against Toronto.

It partially wasn't his fault. From my interview with him:

ML: Let’s talk about the 1993 A.L.C.S. I read an interview a few years ago where then Jays manager Cito Gaston claimed that you and Alex Fernandez were tipping your pitches and that’s why the Jays were able to win. Do you think that’s true?

JMD: "The Jays had a real good team that season. They were a veteran bunch of guys. I went 22-10 in the regular season and they beat me three times, and I’m not talking about losing to them 2-1. They just beat me up. Sometimes it happens that a team has your number no matter what you do. Could I have been tipping something? Maybe... but the Jays were a bunch known for being able to steal and relay signs from the bases to their hitters too."

As far as his relationship with JR: 

ML: Do you think some people in upper management had hard feelings towards you?

JMD: "I don’t know why they would. Fans don’t know this, but not only was I never offered a multi-year contract, I was never even offered a one year deal! The Sox just automatically took me right to arbitration three years in a row, (Author’s Note: McDowell won one of those salary hearings) they just didn’t negotiate with me. Did that piss me off? Yes. Should I have said some of the things that I did to the media? Probably not. I didn’t play the game as far as the team image was concerned, but I was just telling the truth about what was going on."

“One time I was talking with Jerry Reinsdorf and he told me the reason the Sox wouldn’t go out and sign any big name, big money free agents is because they were concerned about how I’d react to it. We had those contract issues all those years and they thought I’d get angry over it. I looked at him and said it wouldn’t bother me, especially if I was looking at my World Series ring! All I ever wanted to do was win, I didn’t care how much somebody else made."

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

The realm of  being petty over money is understandable to me. Its not like specific union reps cost him any more money, so there’s  no practical point to it for JR. Is he gonna get rid of every guy that takes that role for no practical reason?

The White Sox almost never go to arbitration with players for plenty of good reasons. To pull the plug on negotiating with Giolitos side when they were $50k apart? They haven’t done that with anyone in my lifetime. Then, a surprising number of trade rumors from the supposed insiders on the guy even though moving him makes no baseball sense? There’s clearly something going on here.

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If he said it was close, I would assume it was on the air.  This is his only tweet referencing any news.

He had Jesse Rogers on. Rogers basically said, "if white sox fans want to order their Clevinger jerseys go ahead and do so. Its basically down to crossing the i's and dotting the t's" 

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, pcq said:

Yes he said close per several sources. That was it on air. 

Sox don’t tend to let things drag out in the media (at least not when it is related to moves). Manager health…drag it out…but baseball moves I feel usually get resolved quick once it hits the news line so I am a little concerned someone jumps in on this. 

I like odds of Clevinget being better than Cueto next year. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Did LA void his contract for that matter?  Dude is so disgustingly toxic that I’d be surprised if he ever plays in the bigs again.   

Here's what I've got. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33827168/los-angeles-dodgers-trevor-bauer-suspended-two-seasons

Bauer's suspension, if it holds through the appeal process, would last until the 19th game of the 2024 season, by which point his three-year contract with the Dodgers will have expired. The Dodgers would save the $28-plus million that remains on his contract in 2022 and the full $32 million on his contract in 2023. Bauer was immediately placed on the restricted list and can't be around the team, even with a grievance hearing pending. The Dodgers are not allowed to release Bauer until after his suspension ends.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

I don't want to derail the thread, but wasn't he found no guilty or whatever?  I think the MLB just has beef with him over him consistently shitting on the league over the years.

Dudes still a wanker.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox almost never go to arbitration with players for plenty of good reasons. To pull the plug on negotiating with Giolitos side when they were $50k apart? They haven’t done that with anyone in my lifetime. Then, a surprising number of trade rumors from the supposed insiders on the guy even though moving him makes no baseball sense? There’s clearly something going on here.

If JR hates Giolito specifically, that's one thing. But if JR routinely goes after union reps, that's one way to alienate your entire roster and to ensure nobody would ever sign in Chicago.

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

If JR hates Giolito specifically, that's one thing. But if JR routinely goes after union reps, that's one way to alienate your entire roster and to ensure nobody would ever sign in Chicago.

JR hasn't had to deal with an outspoken union rep during a time where there was a lockout in the last 2 decades. As long as the union rep doesn't actually do anything to support the union, he might be more tolerant. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sooooo like….what’s the hold up? This is very un White Sox like. Usually when things leak they happen quickly or don’t happen at all. 

Holiday weekend perhaps?  I’ve been wondering the same.  The way it circulated around on Twitter I figured it was all but ready to be announced. 

• Heads22 changed the title to Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic