Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m actually really optimistic about our rotation with Clevinger as the #5.  Still need another depth arm for Charlotte and/or swingman, but I think we’ve got as high of a ceiling rotation as anyone in baseball.  Will be disappointed if they move Lucas and replace him with another C tier free agent.

This. Sox really need to build a rotation in Charlotte of guys that are at least not barf worthy spot starters. Hahn has really sucked at that. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

the only way this works out is if he's back to his high K / low BB form, or the Sox defense gets wayyyyyy better

this could very well end up not working out at all

Just like any other move it either will or won't work out. But like you said defense has to be better which is what I've been aiming at . Speed , good gloves , strong armed power hitting, dynamic, energetic MLB ready, 20 something OFers. Clevinger has a good ground ball rate which the Sox usually target for SP.

29 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Yeah get something while we can.

You can get a comp pick for him. So taking “something” for him makes little sense when he is very needed. 

Also, 1/$8M for Clevinger is a home run. Awesome signing. Very happy with our rotation. 

• Like 1

Just now, SoxAce said:

Still need another SP. Giolito (if still here) and especially Lynn can't be relied upon to last the whole season. Even Kopech and Clevenger himself are risks. Cease is probably the only one who will likely throw at least 190+ innings. 

Unless Martin actually hurt himself badly in game 162, Martin can be a part of that role.

It is often beneficial to have an answer to who your 7th starter will be as there is likely to be a need for it at some point. That I currently don’t know.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Unless Martin actually hurt himself badly in game 162, Martin can be a part of that role.

It is often beneficial to have an answer to who your 7th starter will be as there is likely to be a need for it at some point. That I currently don’t know.

Probably Sean Burke and Jonathan Stiever are 7 and 8. But Hahn needs to sign a couple milb guys that aren’t complete trash for that AAA rotation. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Probably Sean Burke and Jonathan Stiever are 7 and 8. But Hahn needs to sign a couple milb guys that aren’t complete trash for that AAA rotation. 

I’d look into moving Stiever into a relief role in all honesty, but that requires adding a couple of arms to fill out the Knights’ rotation.