Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d look into moving Stiever into a relief role in all honesty, but that requires adding a couple of arms to fill out the Knights’ rotation.

Dudes actually got to pitch before he can settle into a role. You might want him starting for a year just to build arm strength after surgery.

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I do not understand the Giolito hate at all.

The hate is unwarranted...frustration with him is not imo.

He looked like an Ace.  He was absolutely dominating in that playoff start against Oakland.  Now he looks at best like a #4 or 5...that is frustrating.

Edited by wegner
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

I don’t think it’s much hate just putting 2 and 2 together with the other holes on this roster, his impending free agency and the need for a shake up on the roster. 

I don’t think trading Giolito is the appropriate shake-up though.  And one year of a 3+ win pitcher and a draft pick is better than what we’ll get in return for him via trade plus whatever we do with the $10M in savings.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Most of us aren't hating on Gio because of his performance, I think most of us are realistic enough to know he is gone after 2023 either way. So, why not make a move that makes sense for the team, more long term.

Lol.  Did we suddenly become the Rays?  

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Lol.  Did we suddenly become the Rays?  

Have you forgotten who the Sox owner is? 

Everything has to come through that lens.

So basically, the Sox are the Rays but with a higher year to year payroll and a much worse front office and organizational structure. 

Until there's a new owner we should want them to operate that way, yes. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Good point. Ownership has proven time and again, they are willing to sign home grown pitchers to long term, costly contracts.

Yea, and let’s be clear, part of why some of us are open to trading Gio is due to not even getting a QO out to Rodon.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re trading Giolito why stop there?

Because the only other FA player of signifigance after '23 is Yasmani, and rest assured, there is no one taking that contract right now.

Folks are acting like they've forgotten 40+ years of behavior from current ownership. The status quo isn't going to magically change in 2023/2024.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I do not understand the Giolito hate at all.

I don't want to speak for the other poster you quoted. But someone predicting that 2 players who were better than Giolito in 22 will be better than him again in 23 isn't really hate or even going that far out on a limb.

49 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Have you forgotten who the Sox owner is? 

Everything has to come through that lens.

So basically, the Sox are the Rays but with a higher year to year payroll and a much worse front office and organizational structure. 

Until there's a new owner we should want them to operate that way, yes. 

Have you forgotten this is the White Sox?  In what universe are they going to make a risky forward-thinking move like trading Giolito?  Only a few clubs like the Rays have the stones to do that.  

It’s a nice thought but no way that happens.  

40 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Good point. Ownership has proven time and again, they are willing to sign home grown pitchers to long term, costly contracts.

Exactly.  They will White Sox.  They will do neither.  

The best we can hope for is a monster Gio season and a QO.