Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

Exactly.  They will White Sox.  They will do neither.  

The best we can hope for is a monster Gio season and a QO.  

True, we like to aim for the middle, and act on neither option. Sadly, you may be right.

13 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Exactly.  They will White Sox.  They will do neither.  

The best we can hope for is a monster Gio season and a QO.  

No matter what his season is like, remember to not count on a QO....I mean, he might accept it...can't take that chance.

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2022 at 1:15 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I absolutely hate the way the fidgety way this guy acts on the mound. Reminds me of Karinchak. Also is very close with Trevor Bauer.

From a baseball standpoint he seems like a reasonable #4 or #5 option for us, with upside if Katz can fix him, but I'm not going to enjoy rooting for him. 🤷

What happened with Cueto?  How much will they be paying Clevinger?

On 11/26/2022 at 8:25 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Clevenger is at best a 5 and dive guy. With limited money to spend this move does very little to move the needle. 

a lot of teams would love to have a Clevenger as a 5. better than Valasquez, better than Martin, who can now become Vasquez. don't get me wrong, i'd love to have Cueto also and go with a 6 man rotation but there to cheap to do itand i think there"s a team that will give Cueto a 2 or 3 year deal. At 37, the Sox won't do that. I'm good with Martin taking Vasquez's spot and maybe get rid of Ruiz. 

3 hours ago, wegner said:

I might have preferred Quintana to get a lefty in the rotation but I'm not unhappy with this move.

I agree, as long as he doesn't turn out to be version of Kuechel. Remember, we also need to 2021 Lynne and Kopech to advance to a numbe 2 or 3. Quintana may flop this year, If Clevenger can be Lynn Light, we'll be ok. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

a lot of teams would love to have a Clevenger as a 5. better than Valasquez, better than Martin, who can now become Vasquez. don't get me wrong, i'd love to have Cueto also and go with a 6 man rotation but there to cheap to do itand i think there"s a team that will give Cueto a 2 or 3 year deal. At 37, the Sox won't do that. I'm good with Martin taking Vasquez's spot and maybe get rid of Ruiz. 

No one is giving Cueto a 2-3 year deal. He’ll prob get a deal similar to Clevinger. Sox just bet on the guy that is half a decade younger and has more upside. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

If $8 million is all he got then his market must have been very small. 

Or maybe he wants to play on a contender where he has the chance to stick it to Cleveland? If offers were similar, that could have tilted him slightly to the Sox? Just spitballing.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Did I miss an official announcement of the dollar amount? 

Morosi said more than $8 million. That could mean he got $8.5 million or he got an option with a buyout. It's definitely a weird way to phrase it. 

8 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Or maybe he wants to play on a contender where he has the chance to stick it to Cleveland? If offers were similar, that could have tilted him slightly to the Sox? Just spitballing.

He apparently had an interest in playing in Chicago and/or for the White Sox, so it’s possible he took a little less than other offers with less desirable locations.

Random Thoughts:

On paper this could be a good move for the Sox, when healthy he’s put up solid numbers and is better than dumpster diving guys like Vince Velasquez. And at eight million (instead of the projected 10 million) that helps the Sox budget

But…

Like a member of the mainstream media told me tonight this guy has a lot of baggage than goes beyond just an anti-COVID vaccine stance.

Like so many other Rick Hahn moves this could completely blow up in his face.

And what happens when JR tells him to cut his hair?

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Random Thoughts:

On paper this could be a good move for the Sox, when healthy he’s put up solid numbers and is better than dumpster diving guys like Vince Velasquez. And at eight million (instead of the projected 10 million) that helps the Sox budget

But…

Like a member of the mainstream media told me tonight this guy has a lot of baggage than goes beyond just an anti-COVID vaccine stance.

Like so many other Rick Hahn moves this could completely blow up in his face.

And what happens when JR tells him to cut his hair?

The hair thing is a thing or the past correct? Jerry isn’t telling Kopech to cut it and he sure the hell isn’t telling Lynn to shave 😂

37 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Legal weed certainly doesn’t hurt. 😆

• Haha 3