Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Random Thoughts:

On paper this could be a good move for the Sox, when healthy he’s put up solid numbers and is better than dumpster diving guys like Vince Velasquez. And at eight million (instead of the projected 10 million) that helps the Sox budget

But…

Like a member of the mainstream media told me tonight this guy has a lot of baggage than goes beyond just an anti-COVID vaccine stance.

Like so many other Rick Hahn moves this could completely blow up in his face.

And what happens when JR tells him to cut his hair?

Anti Covid vaccine is baggage?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Hawk 1

9 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

How so? Because he did some dumb stuff 3 years ago by breaking rules and hanging out in Chicago? Clubhouse cancer for sure….

Yeah. The clubhouse cancer stuff is a big yawn for me. So he didn’t quarantine properly on a road trip? Who cares. 

Clevinger is a really solid pitcher. Thrilled to have him for $8M. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Hawk 1

FWIW, Herb Lawrence said that he talked to some people in San Diego and they  claimed he was a perfectly fine guy in their clubhouse.  I agree what he did with the Indians was horrible (especially with Francona as manager), but I believe in giving people second chances if they show remorse, outside of certain truly evil things.  That being said, I’m assuming (or at least hope) the Sox have done their homework on his character before signing him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vote4Pedro said:

The hair thing is a thing or the past correct? Jerry isn’t telling Kopech to cut it and he sure the hell isn’t telling Lynn to shave 😂

I actually think they did make him “trim” his beard compared to his Texas Rangers days. Or am I thinking of Keuchal. 

43 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I actually think they did make him “trim” his beard compared to his Texas Rangers days. Or am I thinking of Keuchal. 

Keuchel supposedly did have to trim the beard a bit upon arrival.  It looked the same to me.  I think Kopech had to trim the hair too.  Might also be why he mostly wears it in a ponytail while in uniform now days.  It’s all silly and stupid to me.  I’m sure Clevenger will have to trim it up to placate higher ups too. 

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So apparently we offered Madrigal & Dunning at the 2020 trade deadline for Clevinger before he was ultimately shipped off to the Padres.

I probably would have taken SD’s offer too.  Probably dodged a bullet though.  Lynn has been far more productive with the Sox than Clevenger would have been the last 2 years.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah. The clubhouse cancer stuff is a big yawn for me. So he didn’t quarantine properly on a road trip? Who cares. 

Clevinger is a really solid pitcher. Thrilled to have him for $8M. 

"It doesn't bother me that he went out in the context of it not being a big deal now, so it doesn't matter that his clubhouse turned against him for compromising a playoff run by being an idiot and lying to his teammates about it".

Happy for Clev that he is now a white sox so a portion of this board will soon turn to "HE WAS A FREEDOM FIGHTER FOR DON DOIN WHAT HE DID!"

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I probably would have taken SD’s offer too.  Probably dodged a bullet though.  Lynn has been far more productive with the Sox than Clevenger would have been the last 2 years.  

Yep and Josh Naylor alone has done way more than either Madrigal or Dunning.

Nothing particularly against Clevinger but it is depressing that the Sox are signing a 5th starter level player when they already have Lynn and Giolito who need to rebound or they will be that level and Kopech who is recovering from an operation and needs to improve next season. Apart from Cease the rotation is made up of players who we are hoping to rebound and that is if they stay fit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Nothing particularly against Clevinger but it is depressing that the Sox are signing a 5th starter level player when they already have Lynn and Giolito who need to rebound or they will be that level and Kopech who is recovering from an operation and needs to improve next season. Apart from Cease the rotation is made up of players who we are hoping to rebound and that is if they stay fit.

IMO Clevinger slots as one of the top 5th starters in baseball. There's an awful lot of upside here now that he's 2 years out from TJS. That said, yes the staff is a bit shaky in the health department and Hahn really needs to come through with better depth than he has in recent years.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Sarava said:

IMO Clevinger slots as one of the top 5th starters in baseball. There's an awful lot of upside here now that he's 2 years out from TJS. That said, yes the staff is a bit shaky in the health department and Hahn really needs to come through with better depth than he has in recent years.

Oh I agree about Clevinger, but it would be nice to see the Sox go after a genuine top of the rotation SP, rather than reclamation projects, but when you have no money I guess you have to buy in the bargain basement. We already have enough reclamation projects of our own in the rotation, and next to nothing other than Martin in the pipeline from below.

• Like 1

Clevinger is a fine addition to fill out the rotation.  Even if he gives the team 5-6 innings every outing and sports an ERA around 4.0, he's worth the $8 million or so.  I think he could be better than that and may well surprise a lot of people.

If Giolito can improve a bit (and not necessarily return to form) and Lynn can stay healthy, this is a very good rotation.

Now, go out and get a LH hitting outfielder who can hit for power.

2 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Lynn was pretty darn good after his first handful of starts. Far better than a 5th SP. 

Seeing as this was a rather quick and quiet (still don't know the money) signing leads me to believe that he was a target and willing target as it came together quickly.

I kind of find the clubhouse stuff a little odd on this board if his major flaw was that he did not follow COVID protocol.  Of all of things to concern yourself with that being one is lower on my list behind guys that can't focus because of Instagram and players you know......actually not really trying that hard. 

• Thanks 1

What i don't get is every White Sox who sucked last year, will never reach his potential and needs to go, but Clevinger is a great pick up. He, of course , will return to form. 

Face facts, the Sox signed him because he potentially can be really good. Another year removed from TJ surgery can help, but most importantly, he was cheap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What i don't get is every White Sox who sucked last year, will never reach his potential and needs to go, but Clevinger is a great pick up. He, of course , will return to form. 

Face facts, the Sox signed him because he potentially can be really good. Another year removed from TJ surgery can help, but most importantly, he was cheap.

I'm in the camp that it does not matter who is signed or traded for, internal improvement of those being paid to produce is the only thing that can save next season. If Robert, Anderson, Eloy, Grandal and Moncada do not improve as a whole everything is irrelevant.

I also believe that LaRussa had some stupid regulations on bullpen management that are hopefully done and we can see improvement there.

Starting pitching just needs health....I know easier said than done.

These are the moves that will be made and they are fine.  Need 2 LH outfielders and/or a LH 2B.