Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hear ya, but comping a 1/$12M to a 5-6 year deal at $17-20M is sorta....not relevant at all.  

Actually it's completely relevant because the entire issue of the Reinsdorf white sox is doing this mental accounting where there is this assumption that they will not have a payroll in 2024 unless they explicitly sign players to it. 

The starting pitching class is strong this year, and next year you are losing Giolito and Lynn is one year older. But as soon as you sign someone, that means Jerry can't pretend that he won't field a team next year.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Like I said, I'd prefer they sign 2 OFs.  A good one - ideally, Nimmo, but that ship has likely sailed.  So one of Conforto/Gallo/Bellinger/Benintendi is the next tier.  Then grab one of Naquin, or Profar, or even Kiermaier as the 4th OF, and someone to fill in until Colas proves he's ready.

But I think we at least have to face the realistic possibility that just 1 one OF is added, in which case Sheets is going to have to play some OF until Colas arrives. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you were right and they only added 1 and then Colas broke ST with the team just so they have 4 OFs on the roster counting Sheets.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we had people screaming no one could have ever guessed the OF would have this many injuries by about April 15.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if you were right and they only added 1 and then Colas broke ST with the team just so they have 4 OFs on the roster counting Sheets.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we had people screaming no one could have ever guessed the OF would have this many injuries by about April 15.

I don't think there is much of any chance we see Colas on Opening Day.  Sox already made their decision on that, and the decision makers are all back. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think there is much of any chance we see Colas on Opening Day.  Sox already made their decision on that, and the decision makers are all back. 

They might try the classic "We'll keep you down unless you sign this extension" gambit? 

But if they don't bring in 2 OFs, I don't see how the roster actually works. Leury's the backup OF? Or they're going to call up Cespedes just to be a backup? That's just painful. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They might try the classic "We'll keep you down unless you sign this extension" gambit? 

But if they don't bring in 2 OFs, I don't see how the roster actually works. Leury's the backup OF? Or they're going to call up Cespedes just to be a backup? That's just painful. 

I don't really think Colas is someone they'd try to extend before playing in the bigs.  A bit of different animal than Eloy and Robert. 

But yeah, I mean you pretty much have to roster Cespedes in that scenario as the 40 man currently sits.  Sheets plays LF or RF (depending on who is signed to play the other corner), and Leury and Cespedes are there to fill in late in the game, or against LHP.  Its only a couple weeks.  Not ideal, but is what it is. At the very least, hopefully Hahn at least is able to acquire a guy or two for the back of the 40 man to give us more options than Cespedes.  Also still have Eloy on the roster, and while I’d burn his OF glove, I think he’ll at least play out there some. 

Edited by ChiSox59

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Like I said, I'd prefer they sign 2 OFs.  A good one - ideally, Nimmo, but that ship has likely sailed.  So one of Conforto/Gallo/Bellinger/Benintendi is the next tier.  Then grab one of Naquin, or Profar, or even Kiermaier as the 4th OF, and someone to fill in until Colas proves he's ready.

But I think we at least have to face the realistic possibility that just 1 one OF is added, in which case Sheets is going to have to play some OF until Colas arrives. 

The way I see it we have a DH and a first baseman. Platoon them whatever fashion is required based on the pitching. It doesn’t need to be everyday remedy to play them out of position. The Sox are the only team that thinks the solution to outfield s%*# is to play their stiffs. Complicating it all is nobody knows what to do with their overpaid stiff catcher. There is another way, they have to find it. If they get forced by circumstances that’s one thing. They have to plan for the season much differently than projecting a first baseman in the outfield again under any foreseeable vision. Sheets covering for roster fails is NOT a fallback option for a responsible organization.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Agree a lot. But the Sox are banking in a lower price tag imo more than upside. Which appears not very much believable considering the price tag.

I like Cueto here, because he’s been getting by by being a pitcher more than with stuff, which could be easier to replicate than finding old pre-surgery stuff.

I'd be shocked if Cueto got 12 million or more.

50 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Over Heaney? Sure, Clevinger looks to have a good shot at being better.

Quintana was really good last year. If he's found a little of what he had back in his Chicago days, he could be a bargain on a 2 year $30 million deal. 

But why tie up $30M if you can do 1year at at time. Seems like Quintana could also go back to being not good and than you are paying $30M over 2 years. Seems like a bad usage of capital in that scenario knowing where the Sox are from a spend perspective.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I kind of agree with you. $12 million makes it seem like other teams were at least interested. $8 million deals are reserved for guys that teams sign for back end rotation depth towards the end of free agency. That being said, this is the Sox, and they might have just decided to set the market for back end rotation starters...in November. I think a fair deal for Clevinger was probably like 1 year $10 million. $12 million does seem like a slight overpay. 

Never doubt the team that had to "jump the market" on a washed up Adam Eaton. If you're a s%*#, washed, player... the Sox should be your agents first call and just let 'em know that others are interested. 

Sox will toss twice as much as anyone else at you and you can sign and then ride off into the sunset in June when you're released.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Give me Clevinger over either of those guys any day 

He isn't flashy, but Q had a FIP under 3 last year. He also really only had one bad year. Q is steady eddy. I'd prefer Q from a reliability standpoint compared to Clevinger. Not sure what Q will get though. Coming off a 4 fWAR season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I don’t think so either really. But he might get more than a one year deal. and I doubt the Sox wanted to commit to that for either guy. 

By the way I would be just as surprised if Cueto did get more than a year than signing for the amount stated.  But from opinion I am reading, his potential deal is being talked about like that

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He isn't flashy, but Q had a FIP under 3 last year. He also really only had one bad year. Q is steady eddy. I'd prefer Q from a reliability standpoint compared to Clevinger. Not sure what Q will get though. Coming off a 4 fWAR season.

I could see Quintana landing a three year deal for solid money in this market

27 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I wouldn't be shocked necessarily. There are a lot of teams competing this year, and when you think of those like Paxton 1 yr 16 mill, Hamels 1 year 16 mill deals, I could see a team that is under the luxury tax going to those levels.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Cueto goes for multiple years and is closer to a 2 for 20 type set-up.

50 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Q is probably gonna get what Tyler Anderson got. 2-3 years for $30-40 million. 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It was never 8 million.  The original post was that it was at least 8 million, not that it was 8 million.

This. Thank you. 

That’s why I made a post yesterday asking if I missed an official announcement of the dollar amount. People were talking yesterday like the 8 million amount was official, and I didn’t understand why. This $12M number is pretty much exactly what I was expecting. 

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

This. Thank you. 

That’s why I made a post yesterday asking if I missed an official announcement of the dollar amount. People were talking yesterday like the 8 million amount was official, and I didn’t understand why. This $12M number is pretty much exactly what I was expecting. 

It’s exactly what I predicted for a one year deal with no team option.  Eager to see the final terms as it would be nice if some of the guaranteed dollars were going towards a potential option.

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s exactly what I predicted for a one year deal with no team option.  Eager to see the final terms as it would be nice if some of the guaranteed dollars were going towards a potential option.

It's the same as if they got a 1/10 with a $2 million buyout when it comes to the math.