Mike Clevinger to Sox per Rosenthal

CWSpalehoseCWS

Just now, poppysox said:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that TL had something to do with that decision.

Leury and Kelly were definitely TLR-influenced moves. We overpaid Kelly even though he was injured at the time of his signing. 

18 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If it really is 1/$12M I like the deal far far less.  Kinda steep for a risky bounce back arm.  Feels like another stack of cash gleefully lit afire but one Rick Hahn. 

Honestly, if there is one person in this organization I have some faith in right now it’s Ethan Katz.  He’s by no means a miracle worker, but he fixed a broken Giolito and Lopez and took Cease & Rodon to the next level.  If he’s telling Hahn that Clevinger is the dude he wants, I think $12M is a price worth paying.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, if there is one person in this organization I have some faith in right now it’s Ethan Katz.  He’s by no means a miracle worker, but he fixed a broken Giolito and Lopez and took Cease & Rodon to the next level.  If he’s telling Hahn that Clevinger is the dude he wants, I think $12M is a price worth paying.

I feel like this is more Hahn getting a guy he's liked since 2020.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s the hope.  $4M isn’t much until you’re dealing with a self-imposed limitation on available resources and the GM loves wasting money on the fringes.  Hope it doesn’t bite them in the ass. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We might think it's a price worth paying but the math is still gonna have to work out when the FO has to account for every penny and even a slight overpayment is likely to result in robbing Peter to pay Paul again....

RH: So Jerry we got Mike Clevinger, a former Cy Young winner for only 12 million and..

JR: Yeah, but how are you gonna pay for that. I said payroll is only 180 million. It isn't even December and you're already over it.

RH: Don't worry, Giolito is on his way out and that's a 10 million savings. As you know he just got also elected to the MLBPA executive committee so we're killing two birds with one stone there.

JR: Yes I agree that's great except for one problem.

RH: Whats that?

JR: What about the other 2 million?

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Here’s to hoping this was a signing they made aggressively because they have objective reason to believe they can unlock his old stuff, or that it’ll come back with improved health. If that’s the case, I like it.

Unfortunately, it’s much more “Sox” to think that they made this move because they decided they liked him two years ago and so they were gonna get him no matter what if he became available in their budget. The price tag being lower than expected makes me more skeptical that it’s that kind of move, as I’m fearing he may have had few suitors because the health evals aren’t looking bright. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Here’s to hoping this was a signing they made aggressively because they have objective reason to believe they can unlock his old stuff, or that it’ll come back with improved health. If that’s the case, I like it.

Unfortunately, it’s much more “Sox” to think that they made this move because they decided they liked him two years ago and so they were gonna get him no matter what if he became available in their budget. The price tag being lower than expected makes me more skeptical that it’s that kind of move, as I’m fearing he may have had few suitors because the health evals aren’t looking bright. 

You expected him to get more than 1/$12M?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Unfortunately, it’s much more “Sox” to think that they made this move because they decided they liked him two years ago and so they were gonna get him no matter what if he became available in their budget. The price tag being lower than expected makes me more skeptical that it’s that kind of move, as I’m fearing he may have had few suitors because the health evals aren’t looking bright

or teams actually watched his last two starts and got James Shields vibes.  

• TLR 1

10 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just to be clear, I’m no Hahn / front office defender, but the Sox were targeting quality pitchers prior to the fiasco that was last offseason.  In addition to Lynn, they went hard after Wheeler & Burnes.  Perhaps this is one area where our pro scouts are actually earning their paychecks.

pauses

And wound up with Keuchel.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I always worry most about 2 random starts.  

Yeah, seems like a great way to conduct business. 

The numbers clearly show Clev got tired late in the season. Makes sense coming off TJS. Had he continued his trajectory before September and playoffs a 1/$12M deal would have been a pipe dream. 

• Like 2

Clevinger underwent his TJ a year and a half after Rodon. So, I'm thinking he should be about as back as he can be by the time next season starts. I have no idea where Clevinger will be, but the good news is basically a year and a half ago, Rodon had been non tendered and signed for peanuts. This guy should be farther along opening day than Rodon was opening day 2021. At least physically, that injury should be totally ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Have we heard anything definitive about whether there is an option? I don't like a straight 1/12 without the possibility of keeping him around if he does indeed bounce back.

We don't know yet.. Which is strange.  An option year would be amazing, however a 1/12 is still really good to me.